V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Shaker 500 vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/05, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed to death already. I did a search in the v6 tech forums (not to mention I've been reading for a while before joining) and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Feel free to move this or refer to another thread as necessary though.

Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm curious about whether the shaker 500 is worth the upgrade or not on the v6. The MSRP (according to the local dealer anyway...) is $765 (Canadian funds of course). But I'm hearing a LOT of negatives about this system on this forum so far. People seem to be switching out the speakers, or the head unit, or the amp.. haha. Basically, the only thing I haven't heard of being replaced would be the wiring! So what's the general consensus on this issue? To be fair though, I've also heard plenty of people say they're happy with the system and haven't had any of the glitches or sound quality concerns that others have mentioned. FYI, I listen to a lot of rock and alternative music, so I'm not looking for a $20,000 sub system that takes up the entire back half of the car. haha. Just something with a nice, full range.

Another question I have, albeit a stupid one I admit, is how difficult (read: expensive) it would be to install a system from scratch that has a similar setup to the 500. What kind of work has to be done to the door panels etc if I just go with the stock system and get an aftermarket solution? Also, what differences are there in the speaker positioning between stock and shaker? I've never had a system installed that involved anything more than a head unit swap and adding a single sub, so my experience is pretty limited.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to order an '06 by mid to late-summer so I'm trying to work out all the details in advance!
Old 6/17/05, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just went with the std. stereo. For $800- $ 1000.00 you can get a very good aftermarket stereo !! And from what I hear the shakers have problems.
Old 6/17/05, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I just got my 500 replaced with the TSB unit, and I've noticed a difference. I enjoyed the Shaker to start with, and this new unit is even better. It supposedly fixes the skipping and spitting out of disks (hence the TSB). I LOVE the range on the system. It has a great sound. I also listen to rock, alternative, pop, blues, jazz, pretty much anything, and it has great range and feel for my needs. I'm not TERRIBLY picky, but I like a nice balanced and smooth sound. Hope that helps, and Gratz on your first post.
Old 6/17/05, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only reason Id consider getting anything besides the base unit and going aftermarket would be for the 8" door subs, but Im plan on just replacing or cutting the door panel later on and working from there anyway.

I have an Alpine-CDA9833 in my car right now and love it. The Shaker system cant compare to it. 5 band parametric EQ and built in cross over functions, time correction, XM ready, mp3 compatable, the list goes on and on. Gives 26 watts RMS to each speaker with the built in amp, which is more than enough to push the stock speakers to distortion. Plus you can pick one up used in good condition for around 200 bucks on E-bay now. IMO Shaker's got nothing for its headunit.

In terms of a sub, if you've been through it before, you know all about it. You're probably going to pay a little more than what they're asking for their little 10" sub, but you're going to get better quality and performance in the end.

I guess it all comes down to what you and and what you want to spend.
Old 6/17/05, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Other than having to have my Shaker 500 replaced (with TSB), I think it's a great sound system. Very balanced sound and cranks up more than loud enough for my ears, even at high speeds.
Old 6/18/05, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm definitely going to price some aftermarket systems before I place my order anyway, just for comparison. Does anyone know what kind of speakers are used in the stock system? I'm assuming if I go with the aftermarket swap plan that I'll probably end up replacing everything. Just wondering if there might be anything salvageable out of the stock setup.

Zodiac, any idea on what replacement door panels might cost if I were to go the same route?
Old 6/18/05, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have noooo idea.. Im either going to contact Kevin here on the boards and see what he can do, or hope I can find some off a wrecked car.
Old 7/6/05, 10:38 AM

Well, I had a chance to compare the standard CD player option to the Shaker 500 two days ago, and I was actually very pleasantly surprised! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that an aftermarket system would still eventually sound better (I say eventually because the more I think about it, the more I realize that it wouldn't be an investment I would likely be able to fork out all at once!) but for the price, this system sounded great!! And I wasn't even listening to a CD. Just listening to the radio was impressive! I really like the placement of the subs (personally can't stand subs in the trunk for some reason), and the option is always still there to upgrade the amp (or any other component for that matter) if I feel the need for more power down the road.
Old 7/7/05, 10:53 PM

anyone know of a touch screen unit that will fit in that space cleanly the shaker 500 is good. I have non of the for mentoned problems but wanna put nav and a screen in my v6...
Old 7/21/05, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by MustStang79@June 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I'm definitely going to price some aftermarket systems before I place my order anyway, just for comparison. Does anyone know what kind of speakers are used in the stock system? I'm assuming if I go with the aftermarket swap plan that I'll probably end up replacing everything. Just wondering if there might be anything salvageable out of the stock setup.

Zodiac, any idea on what replacement door panels might cost if I were to go the same route?
I got the Shaker 500 system because I got a Premium. I am very happy with it. Sound is great and have no problem with CD changer. I can't imagine wasting money (and trunk space) on the Shaker 1000 unless you are out to do some serious hearing damage. You'll no doubt find nicer after market systems, but remember, your driving in a car with accompanying noise, not sitting in the confines of a quiet living room. I think paying for an audiophile system in a car is a waste of money, but that's just me
Old 7/22/05, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

The Skipper went in the trash! I tried to live with it even after the dealer replaced it once. IT IS TOTAL POS.
Old 7/22/05, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I had to buy the car again, I'd have opted for no Shaker. I don't think it sounds nearly as good as some of the other audio systems out there for the money. Shaker A was replaced with Shaker B and I still have occasional problems. The speakers are a joke. I would love to have a unit that allows for satelite or I-Pod play, rather than use the FM modulator. Just my 2 cents, but I'd save the money and price the aftermarket.
Old 7/22/05, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Any good suggestions on aftermarket head units with a 6+ CD changer?

I'll search some old threads as well, but any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 7/23/05, 12:09 AM
GT Member

I aked this same question a little while ago http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=28714
You might find some answers in here.