V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/11, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
Here is mine ... Dont mind the dirtyness of it
Looks nice man, wish I could find one for under 250$ but ill probably just buy it anyways....smh, now you just need some colored wire tubing and a battery cover and your bay will be on point. And that is clean compared to mine....havent cleaned it in forever and my poor baby is collecting dust in storage
Old 9/30/11, 06:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Thank You sirs!! ... Hahaha Winnie is begging to get one

I used to have a battery cover that wasn't supposed to corrode or anything at least according to Blue Oval Industries but me and another person both had the same issues SO I recommend not buying anything from them ... I think I got mine for $180 which is expensive but honestly it was worth it to me
Old 10/1/11, 05:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My engine dressup:

A bit pricier than a Midwest cover, I'll grant you, but it is still in production
Old 10/4/11, 05:55 PM

Just finished putting all the blue on might change the yellow to blue now that i look at it
Attached Thumbnails S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up-img_1948a.jpg  
Old 10/16/11, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

I was never happy with the selection of covers for our V6 engines so I made my own. I made it so it would cover the plenum and distributor.

Old 10/16/11, 09:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Interesting. Any more pics? What'd you make that out of? Why the odd angles?
Old 10/17/11, 09:09 AM
V6 Member

OK, it's made out of ABS plastic, and the odd angles are because of the flowing design I was going for. It was created to cover the plenum, as many sensors along the sides, and tubing and hoses close to the plenum, and the coil pack. So it's a matter of compromise really. Make it work and make it look flowing. I didn't want to have it look like a box I just threw on top of the engine, so boxy look was out. The TB had to be the focal point obviously and it had to flow out of that. I wanted a sense of movement instead of just standing still. It may not be what everyone likes, like all art, but it wasn't designed to be mass produced. Also, the odd angle on the drivers side is also because I had to allow room for my meaty hand to be able to remove and replace the oil filler cap when needed without having to take this cover off. It looks far from it, but really isn't. Just so you know, I made this over a year ago, and it's still looks and works great.

In the beginning it went through a few evolutions. At first it was all black. That was too bland so I decided to add the gray color. Then it looked lopsided to me. So I then balanced it out with the red stripe and added the pony in the middle. The pony is a separate piece of plastic glued on top. That was the final version I was most happy with so it stayed. Here are a few different angled pics.

Old 10/17/11, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice work. I'd prefer it to be symmetric. But, either way, it still looks good, and I definately haven't seen anything else like it.
Old 10/17/11, 08:41 PM
V6 Member

I know what you mean. Unfortunately the motor is not as symmetrical as the V8 is. That one had a nice clean looking cover made for it. Before I went ahead and made mine I did a lot of searching for different designs. The only ones I could find where the mass produced one which is show earlier in this thread and this one shown below. The one below is also a custom job cause I have not seen another car with it. But this is probably more symmetrical. Unfortunately to me it looks like a giant "L" or a handgun, so I just had to be different.

Old 10/18/11, 07:04 AM
GT Member

Nice work guys! How are those covers attached? Have you ever considered mass producing those items for those of us who are "not that skilled?"
Old 10/18/11, 12:18 PM
V6 Member

I don't know about the other covers, but mine is just held on with some double sided tape. Hasn't moved in over a year. As far as mass producing them, yea I thought about that for maybe 2 seconds. There were a few little problems that stopped me. First, not everyone likes my design, so it wasn't going to be a big seller. Second, the logistics of the materials, labor, customer satisfaction, stupid state and local permits, maybe having to hire people to help out. Naw, not worth the trouble for a few extra bucks. When you do something for yourself as a hobby, it's fun and doesn't matter what it costs or how long it takes. When you do it for someone else it becomes a chore. I don't mind helping someone out or telling someone how to do stuff, but I really don't want to be the one to do it.

Same as I made myself a catch-can instead of spending a couple hundred bucks, but I wouldn't do it for everyone. People tend to have a negative reaction when they hear someone making something for themselves. Innovation and self reliance is kinda frowned upon these days. I like to experiment and be self reliant. First I made the catch-can for my truck and shared it on the truck forums and it was put down. They preferred to spend a couple hundred for something I could tell them how to make themselves for less than $20. It looks great and works great IMO. It's just a tubular design, no funkyness like my cover. So, I learned in life I do things to make myself happy since you can't please all the people all the time. I don't see any current catch-can threads or I would have shared that also.
Old 6/5/13, 09:45 PM
GT Member

by popular demand we have remanufactured the cover it is available at buildafastcar.com here is the link

http://www.buildafastcar.com/mm5/mer...ode=ts-1120-v6
Old 8/11/13, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teamshinoda
by popular demand we have remanufactured the cover it is available at buildafastcar.com here is the link

http://www.buildafastcar.com/mm5/mer...ode=ts-1120-v6
well i`ll be .... i just might have to think about that one now. is it real tight to the intake? think it would fit under my strut brace, theres about 1/4" max of clearance
Attached Thumbnails S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up-dscf2432.jpg  
Old 8/12/13, 12:02 AM
GT Member

it fits as close as it can if it does not fit under the strut brae send it back we have made it as close as possible.
Old 2/17/14, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

I know this an older thread, but I thought I would post a picture of my car with one of the original covers and a strut bar.
Attached Thumbnails S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up-pict0055a.jpg  
Old 2/18/14, 02:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Autonut
I know this an older thread, but I thought I would post a picture of my car with one of the original covers and a strut bar.
Looks really nice. Where did you get it?
Old 2/18/14, 04:01 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ..MIGUEL..
Looks really nice. Where did you get it?

I picked everything you see used for $100.00 from an online classified. (Kijiji) This is the original picture from the ad.

I had to drive 120 miles there and back to pick it up thou. It made for a nice Sunday drive.
Attached Thumbnails S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up-kijij-bought.jpg  
Old 2/25/14, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Autonut
I picked everything you see used for $100.00 from an online classified. (Kijiji) This is the original picture from the ad.

I had to drive 120 miles there and back to pick it up thou. It made for a nice Sunday drive.
I wish they still made those V6 Plenum covers. I should have gotten one early.
Old 3/15/14, 02:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I got probably the last plenum cover that AM sold back a couple years ago. At first they didn't have it and refunded me, but it showed up a few days later. I had them rebill my card and have had it on ever since. I have my valve covers yet to put on, but I've been lazy. lol
Attached Thumbnails S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up-sam_0339.jpg   S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up-s7301870.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 3/15/14 at 02:30 AM.
Old 4/8/14, 07:33 AM

There are some awesome custom ideas that I see you guys have come up with... while I wanted one of those manifold covers as well, I have decided to go a different route with my manifold cover. I saw on a different forum where someone took an old 69 302 air box and cut and chopped it up and made the snorkel, cover the throttle body and the rest of the air box cover the intake manifold. it looked retro and very cool. They then painted it ford racing blue. This is what I am going to be doing as I am a little odd and love to go against the norms most of the time. Have you guys seen the one I am talking about?

Quick Reply: S-197 2005-2009 Ford Mustang V6 Engine dress up