V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Replacement CAI and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/13, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement CAI and Tune

So, I've got a bit of an issue. I bought my 2005 Mustang used, and the engine set up was...less than ideal. The previous owner had a Vortech Supercharger with all the bells and whistles installed, including dual exhausts, but when he turned it into the dealership he removed the blower and left everything else behind. Now I've got the Vortech intake (which is beat to crap) along with the rerouted radiator hosing, the electronics, the moved around power steering and radiator overflow, along with the dual exhaust. In order to put the engine set up how I want it I got a BBK intake (can't seem to find the model number, sorry) along with all the hosing I need to put it back to stock cooling system with a new intake and the newish exhaust. My dilemma comes with the whole tuning thing. Now, I know when you get a new CAI or a Supercharger you have to tune the engine so that it works...well, I don't have a tuner. I was curious what a good tuner would be for my set up. I would prefer something where I can have different settings such as economy, high output, high torque, and whatever else you can get on a tuner.

Suggestions for tuners, setups, changes to my plan, etc. are all appreciate. Any and all help is useful!

Thanks,
Thinroyy
Old 8/1/13, 09:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always had good luck with SCT tuners and BAMA boys thru American Muscle for decent customer service.. Or, get it dyno-tuned.
Old 8/1/13, 09:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sickroush
I've always had good luck with SCT tuners and BAMA boys thru American Muscle for decent customer service.. Or, get it dyno-tuned.
I would recommend AM, SCT tuner. AM gives you free tunes for life and if your in the beginning stages of modding you will need several rewritten tunes as you add new mods. Lol. Its free with AM. I would highly recommend running their 91 hybrid tune. Very sweet tune and AM's most aggressive one they offer. Plus great customer service. I also ordered a tune from MPT for 75 dollars and its there most aggressive tune they offer. Its called race performance tune. From what I've been told MPT is making the most aggressive and strongest HP and torque tunes when it comes to email tunes. Second behind a dyno tune on power from what the talk is? We shall see about that. MPT does not offer free tunes for life and its 75 dollars per tune or three for $150.00 dollars. They do make tweaks to your purchased tune up to six months for free.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/1/13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 8/24/13, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive got a sct tuner and i`m running a bama race tune from am. i got in on the free tunes just cause i was involved at the time bama was purchased from doug. he`s a guy that knows v6`s in side out and originally started bama chips and came up with the meanest race tune for the v6`s. he also is the guy that writes the tunes for the v6 x chargers. hes back into writing tunes and works for c&l. he also always had the free tune replacement way back when, as did chris rose who wrote tunes and worked for tillman speed some time back and is now with am.

sct tuners are about the same price wherever you go and a nice unit. cant go wrong with am, the tune guys have come a long ways, and cant go wrong with dougs tunes either.

Last edited by amustangrocks; 8/24/13 at 02:03 PM.