V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Raced a GT....

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/06, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He won.

But not by much.

Met the guy outside a coffee shop, he parked his new GT near mine in the lot. We were talking cars, namely the completely geeky thrill that we both get every time we see another mustang.

Gotta love good taste.

I was admiring the shiny new finish on his, and the mycolor display, and he was admiring the whine of the blower.

So we decided to take it out on the street... there's a highway on ramp right near the store; no crosswalks, nice long light, plenty of visibility... decided we'd hit it until the ramp starts to curve.

It was a trip. We lined up right next to each other when the light was still green and decided we'd let it cycle. No traffic, good sign. He started revving first (he had a manual). They really do sound beautiful, those GT's. So I decided that I was going to need a much higher RPM launch than he did, my car not making much boost until about 4000.

Took it up to 3500, to the point where the brake was starting to slip (yes, I have an auto)... the cross light hit yellow, and as soon as it turned he dropped the clutch and I dropped the brake.

He definitely had me off the line. My lack of t-lok, different gearing, and his low end torque had me about a car length behind almost immediately. But then the tires (well, tire) grabbed, the boost kicked in, and the car started screaming... I matched him, pulling on him a little when I'd hit redline, then stabilizing when the car would shift and drop back into the 4000's.

We hit about 80 before the designated point, at which point I was even with his door, and slowed down pretty quickly. I heard a nice, satisfying hiss from my supercharger as the pressure released, and we drove side by side. Quick thumbs up, and off we went.

So, long story short, if I had a good differential in the back, I would have had him. He can't blame it on bad shifting, either, he was good. I think it's safe to say that when my 3.73's go in, as well as my true trac (not to mention my tune getting cleaned up a bit... I figure I could be losing 10+ HP since it's so rich), I should be able to smoke even a lightly modded GT.

But that's not what I care about. I want to nail some camaros. Yeah, good luck, none of them are stock anymore.

Still, it's a good goal. Once the car's done, it's heading down to the track to get some times.

Fun stuff.
Old 1/24/06, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool!!!! Yea, I'm thinking along the same lines as you, with a TLOK/TT and gears and a good tune, you would have taken him. Also, I would like to see what would happen after 80MPH mark. I think once your SC started up, you eventually would have passed him.

Very cool. Yep, those GT's do sound absolutely sweet!
Old 1/24/06, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Beautiful story! Get your rear end beefed up and you'll be having such fun!
Old 1/24/06, 06:24 PM
MSP
Banned

I say you would have beat him with a T-LOK! At any rate, You did the best you could with one wheel using all of 320RWHP..
Old 1/24/06, 06:24 PM
Cobra R Member

awesome, i want to be boosted lol.
Im hopin to get some LOW LOW 14's at the track next week with the mods i've got done in the last 2 weeks. Gettin boosted would make me a mid 12 car i hope (daily driver)
Old 1/25/06, 03:15 AM
Cobra Member

Wait... I want to know how Belial launched at 3500 RPM.. did I miss something??? LOL
Old 1/25/06, 06:50 AM
V6 Member

Slightly modified power braking, brake torquing, whatever you like to call it. The same way you'd launch at 2500, just don't rev up until the last second and it shouldn't push through the brake until you release it. It definitely doesn't like sitting still there, and won't if you try to rev it and sit, but you can get another 1000 RPM or so past the brake's limit before the car has moved significantly if you time it right. It'll buck and slide, and the brakes will slip, but your tires will still break loose and your launch will be a lot better than if you left it at a dead stop under 2000 RPM. Then again, you make plenty of torque down low, and have far better gearing for the launch, so you'd probably have a heck of a time making it stick at all.

I wouldn't try it at the track, though... the car will start to slip forward, more than likely it would move far enough to trip the line and red light you.

edit: I just read your brakes can't hold it past 1800 RPM. Granted, you have the 4.10's, but that definitely sounds a bit low to me.
Old 1/25/06, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Belial@January 25, 2006, 8:53 AM
Slightly modified power braking, brake torquing, whatever you like to call it. The same way you'd launch at 2500, just don't rev up until the last second and it shouldn't push through the brake until you release it. It definitely doesn't like sitting still there, and won't if you try to rev it and sit, but you can get another 1000 RPM or so past the brake's limit before the car has moved significantly if you time it right. It'll buck and slide, and the brakes will slip, but your tires will still break loose and your launch will be a lot better than if you left it at a dead stop under 2000 RPM. Then again, you make plenty of torque down low, and have far better gearing for the launch, so you'd probably have a heck of a time making it stick at all.

I wouldn't try it at the track, though... the car will start to slip forward, more than likely it would move far enough to trip the line and red light you.

edit: I just read your brakes can't hold it past 1800 RPM. Granted, you have the 4.10's, but that definitely sounds a bit low to me.
It's not a matter of brakes... it's the Torque Convertor... the stock convertor doesn't have a 3500 RPM stall... its more like 2400 to 2600... at 3500 your back tires are turning...

Now this worked for you because the street was slippery enough to let your back tires to spin while the fronts held the car in place. won't work with good tires on a sticky track.. .
Old 1/25/06, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

Hmmm, definitely noted. I've never actually tried on the track, just on a few Durham roads. Good thing I know now, that'd be embarassing if I rolled down the quarter before the lights turned! lol

Oh the limits of an auto. (My '95 stang was a manual, so I never had to worry about these issues. 5000 RPM launch? No problem!) Never tried playing much with this tranny... since you seem to know what you're talking about, are there torque converters out there with a higher stall?
Old 1/25/06, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Belial@January 25, 2006, 11:30 AM
Hmmm, definitely noted. I've never actually tried on the track, just on a few Durham roads. Good thing I know now, that'd be embarassing if I rolled down the quarter before the lights turned! lol

Oh the limits of an auto. (My '95 stang was a manual, so I never had to worry about these issues. 5000 RPM launch? No problem!) Never tried playing much with this tranny... since you seem to know what you're talking about, are there torque converters out there with a higher stall?
There are none for our cars that I'm aware of.... What you would most likely need to do is send yours out to have it "loosened"... I think you can get your TC modified for around $300 (i could be way off here... LOL) It would be a good mod for our cars... or so i've been told...
Old 1/25/06, 10:15 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Belial@January 25, 2006, 8:30 AM

Hey Belial, where do you live, and can you get ahold of the guy with the GT? Let him know your friend would like to have a crack at him... This time, there wont be any mistakes made!
Old 1/25/06, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by scrming@January 25, 2006, 12:54 PM
There are none for our cars that I'm aware of.... What you would most likely need to do is send yours out to have it "loosened"... I think you can get your TC modified for around $300 (i could be way off here... LOL) It would be a good mod for our cars... or so i've been told...
I just got my new MM&FF, TCI has a TC for the '05 GT. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the V6, we have the same transmission. Maybe I'll call them...
Old 1/25/06, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jimp@January 25, 2006, 12:34 PM
I just got my new MM&FF, TCI has a TC for the '05 GT. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the V6, we have the same transmission. Maybe I'll call them...
I should have mentioned this... while our trannys share the same name as the tranny in the GT they are not 100% the same... we have a smaller input shaft... The TCs are not the same... A GT TC will not fit our cars... Here's the advice I got...

1) Got buy a new TC from your local Ford dealer

2) Send it to out to have it loosened. Lidio recommands these guys http://www.converter.com Lidio does this and the turn it around in a few days..

3) Install new TC

4) Return your used TC for core deposit...
Old 1/25/06, 11:06 AM
GT Member

New converter should be a couple of bucks, but from what i heard, converters do wonders for automatics. Msp is ur car up and running with the vortech already? How does she feel?

Scrming, i sent my xcal to Lidio to change the gears at the base file, i also requested the "barbaric" shift set up, je je, lets see how it goes when i get it back.
Old 1/25/06, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Puerto Rico 4.6@January 25, 2006, 1:09 PM
New converter should be a couple of bucks, but from what i heard, converters do wonders for automatics. Msp is ur car up and running with the vortech already? How does she feel?

Scrming, i sent my xcal to Lidio to change the gears at the base file, i also requested the "barbaric" shift set up, je je, lets see how it goes when i get it back.
I'm sure he did but I've forgoten... I want to say in the $300 range.. but i'm not sure..

Looking forward to hearing what your think of the "barbaric" setting... Did Lidio laugh when you asked for it? LOL
Old 1/25/06, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by scrming@January 25, 2006, 10:54 AM
What kind of gains should we expect from that kinda mod? It should improve the launch, I'd imagine... Simply blasting the accelerator and cutting the brakes has been more than enough to break my tires loose with minimal forward movement, but should I go with a differential and some good tires for the track, I guess I really would have a much harder time of it.

I'd imagine with any sort of centrifugal supercharger this is a worthwhile investment, but I'm a bit too poor to be the guinea pig here.
Old 1/25/06, 12:14 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Belial@January 25, 2006, 10:52 AM
What kind of gains should we expect from that kinda mod? It should improve the launch, I'd imagine... Simply blasting the accelerator and cutting the brakes has been more than enough to break my tires loose with minimal forward movement, but should I go with a differential and some good tires for the track, I guess I really would have a much harder time of it.

I'd imagine with any sort of centrifugal supercharger this is a worthwhile investment, but I'm a bit too poor to be the guinea pig here.
Its either that Belial, or you need to set the car up for winning in the 1/4 mile..

There are 2 types of setups.. One is an 1/8th mile racer, the other is 1/4 mile racer.. I have focused on winning in the 1/4 mile..

I think in a 1/4 mile race, you would have beaten the GT...

Basically, you need to choose which area of the track you want to win in.. I like winning the 1/4 mile, so I will allow myself to be beaten to the 1/8th mark.. Which takes more stress off of my drivetrain... Which ever car I race, if we are similar in HP, they better be prepared to show more ***** towards the end of the race, if not it will be an upset.. My car will start strokin bigtime after the 1/8th marker... After i make the shift from 3rd to 4th, and the rpms climb to about 3500rpm, the 3.73's will start to show their worth..

If you noticed, you mentioned you started pulling on him, then the race finished... I think your car is fine.. You just needed more track for the win... I say you did good given the distance raced... He knows if he didnt lift, in an effort to stop the race, a beat down was coming.. He had to lift first, or else it would be embarassing..
Old 1/25/06, 07:14 PM
GT Member

I called and they told me to writte everything down and include it in the xcal box. So i asked for the barbaric setting and explained that my friend scrming had used the term before, i guess they will laught when they get around to reading it.

MSP is the vortech on already? I have been thinking and a non intercooled kit with methanol injection should be sweet, my buddy has a raceshop and he is offering me the kit at his cost just to get a bit of exposure out of it all. Pretty tempting! hehe! Specially after Belial's acount
Old 1/25/06, 07:26 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Puerto Rico 4.6@January 25, 2006, 6:17 PM
I called and they told me to writte everything down and include it in the xcal box. So i asked for the barbaric setting and explained that my friend scrming had used the term before, i guess they will laught when they get around to reading it.

MSP is the vortech on already? I have been thinking and a non intercooled kit with methanol injection should be sweet, my buddy has a raceshop and he is offering me the kit at his cost just to get a bit of exposure out of it all. Pretty tempting! hehe! Specially after Belial's acount
Yes the car is up and running... I will have it sometime next week.. The non-intercooled setup is kool, that will put you at 8PSI of boost.. Then you add the methanol injection, and who knows where it will end up..

You could go to a wrecking yard and find a wrecked turbo car, and take the intercooler off of it also.. Or search ebay or craigslist for an intercooler.. I think a wrecking yard would be the best place to find an intercooler...

Vortech is real happy about how everything has turned out.. They have complete and good working tunes for the Automatics, and the 5spds... So anyone considering one, wont have to worry about that...

There is also another Black 2005 V6 which is ready.. He's not a member of this forum.. Start looking out for him.. His car along with mine, were the comparison test mules for the tunning... Needless to say, he should be popping up on a forum near you soon enough to strut his stuff.. LOL!!
Old 1/27/06, 11:31 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool story but I wonder what would have happened if he had a supercharger as well

Quick Reply: Raced a GT....