V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

A question for all

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/05, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jimp@November 27, 2005, 7:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with your original question. Your cousin is right, it's best to leave it alone. If you want a little extra power and better driveability, get a C&L CAI and SCT-2 from BamaChips and call it a day. It's easy to install and fairly inexpensive and won't hurt anything, I promise! Anything else will shorten the engine life and may affect the warranty. The dealerships most likely won't say much about the tune or CAI and they are easily reversable. Me, I went a little nuts. I'm not too worried about the engine or warranty.

Johnny,

Welcome to the forum!!! I hope you keep visiting it, and posting questions. Just to warn you, once you go CAI/Tuner.....you may get the "bug"....and as Jimp put's it, go nuts on mods.

Let us know how it goes, and keep the posts comming!
Old 11/28/05, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by scrming@November 27, 2005, 9:07 PM
came across one guy who said his dealership was trying to blame his front end popping (know problem with TSB) on his aftermarket exhaust....

my dealership is much more cool about mods... but I think they are the exception....

I'll echo others here... for performance the most bang for the buck is an SCT X-Cal2 tuner... my perfered vendor is Alternative Auto (www.alternativeauto.com) A good muffler will give you a very descent gain with really no risk at all...

Yea, you are the exception.....you have a cool dealer..and you live close to several well known performance shops. Whats the IT market like there? Maybe I need to relocate the family so I can enjoy these perks as well.

Old 11/28/05, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 28, 2005, 8:41 AM
Yea, you are the exception.....you have a cool dealer..and you live close to several well known performance shops. Whats the IT market like there? Maybe I need to relocate the family so I can enjoy these perks as well.

Economy in Michigan still sucks... So i would get your hopes up about finding something here... LOL!

But now I just realized that Paul's High Performance Shop... you know the 13 second N/A car... is in Michigan too!! LOL! They are in Jackson which is about 2 hours away... LOL!
Old 11/28/05, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by scrming@November 28, 2005, 12:21 PM
But now I just realized that Paul's High Performance Shop... you know the 13 second N/A car... is in Michigan too!! LOL! They are in Jackson which is about 2 hours away... LOL!
This just figures, no comment. Please keep us posted/tortured! :bang: LOL.
Old 11/28/05, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Johnny

I know exaclty where your mechanic friend/family member is coming from.

Think of it this way, modding an engine for performance is like getting your first tatoo. You might wait a really long time before the impulse gets you to get one. But after the first one your "hooked" and you want more.

In the regards to motors/performance mods is the same but its really the motor/performance potential that wants more.

Say you put exhaust on and you drive around and it cool, but then you notice there is a certain rpm range where it just seems to not "pull" as hard. So you talk to a few people and they tell you 'you are dumping more exhaust then stock so to compensate you need more air in, to get the computer to compensate'. So then you buy a CAI and its cool.

So you drive around for a bit and notice that third gear seem to lag more then it did, you should be shifting to fourth by this point on the onramp etc. So you talk to a few people and they say ' with your setup sounds like you need to buy a tuner and dial in your setup'. So off you go and buy that $400 tuner. And its ubber cool.

For a while at least until someone with a similar setup spanks you on the street and you ask them, hey man we have the same setup but you pulled hard on me in second and third.... And the guy says "yeah with your setup up no doubt man, I got 373's" SO, you begin to ask some people and find out you need new rear gears and $300 later you have a set of 3.73 gear ready to smoke your rubber off. And its smokey cool

For awhile at least

UNTIL one day your friend says lets go to the track and see what it will do....

So you go and you make a few passes and then there is that really hard launch that lurches the car and you start to smell something funky.... Whoops smells like you need a new clutch plate son.... SOOO of you go to buy the super sweet 6 puck carbon fiber clutch AND $500 later you have a trans that slams closed and slams you back in your seat.... ONLY to find out that your feeble stock U joint now is a little sloppy and should be upgraded.

Its a never endless battle with performance a sort of pandora's box to find the optimum perforance only to realize you need that "one" next thing to make it complete.

And then there is headers and throttle bodies and new injectors and then converting from one type of air sensor to another and new fuel pumps and pressure regulators and then to the world of power adders.

Its a slippery slope that never ends and begins with the very first mod. Trust me.... 7 tat's later and mutliple $$$$ spent on modding motors......
Old 11/28/05, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, NOS, VERY well written. You put me right there, man! What a ride!
Old 11/28/05, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@November 28, 2005, 2:49 PM
Johnny

Think of it this way, modding an engine for performance is like getting your first tatoo. You might wait a really long time before the impulse gets you to get one. But after the first one your "hooked" and you want more.

In the regards to motors/performance mods is the same but its really the motor/performance potential that wants more.

Say you put exhaust on and you drive around and it cool, but then you notice there is a certain rpm range where it just seems to not "pull" as hard. So you talk to a few people and they tell you 'you are dumping more exhaust then stock so to compensate you need more air in, to get the computer to compensate'. So then you buy a CAI and its cool.

So you drive around for a bit and notice that third gear seem to lag more then it did, you should be shifting to fourth by this point on the onramp etc. So you talk to a few people and they say ' with your setup sounds like you need to buy a tuner and dial in your setup'. So off you go and buy that $400 tuner. And its ubber cool.

For a while at least until someone with a similar setup spanks you on the street and you ask them, hey man we have the same setup but you pulled hard on me in second and third.... And the guy says "yeah with your setup up no doubt man, I got 373's" SO, you begin to ask some people and find out you need new rear gears and $300 later you have a set of 3.73 gear ready to smoke your rubber off. And its smokey cool

For awhile at least

So you go and you make a few passes and then there is that really hard launch that lurches the car and you start to smell something funky.... Whoops smells like you need a new clutch plate son.... SOOO of you go to buy the super sweet 6 puck carbon fiber clutch AND $500 later you have a trans that slams closed and slams you back in your seat.... ONLY to find out that your feeble stock U joint now is a little sloppy and should be upgraded.

Its a never endless battle with performance a sort of pandora's box to find the optimum perforance only to realize you need that "one" next thing to make it complete.

And then there is headers and throttle bodies and new injectors and then converting from one type of air sensor to another and new fuel pumps and pressure regulators and then to the world of power adders.

Its a slippery slope that never ends and begins with the very first mod. Trust me.... 7 tat's later and mutliple $$$$ spent on modding motors......
Gosh Darn It!!! Someone's been reading my diary again!!!! Ok. well not quite... I don't have manual tranny... oh, and your stuck with the stock u joints until you replace the driveshaft... LOL!

But NosferatuVI is right.... it does start out small and just kind of snowballs... heck my first mods were some under car lighting and some vinyl stripes.... first it was little local car shows.... then it was driving 10 hours to Carlisle for the All Ford National Car show... first it was datalogging and G-Tech of 0-60 times... then it became 1/4 mile runs at the track with 100HP shot of Nitrous! LOL!

My wife asked me way back in the spring "when will you be done?" I'm not one to lie to my wife so I simply said "never"... LOL!
Old 11/28/05, 01:24 PM

I'm quilty as well.....must...keep...modding...!!!!
Old 11/28/05, 01:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 28, 2005, 12:56 PM
This just figures, no comment. Please keep us posted/tortured! :bang: LOL.

So did you know if Paul's sends something UPS tomorrow (tuesday) I will get in on Wednesday... and I just happen to be going to Lidio's on Thursday to do a little more playing on the dyno.... hmmmm... Not saying that I ordered something or anything like that... since I said I was done until spring... (hey we had snow and 13 degrees this weekend... it's 57 out right now... isn't that like spring? LOL!)
Old 11/28/05, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@November 28, 2005, 2:49 PM
Johnny

For awhile at least

Wow, this reminds me of when my uncle told me about a similar story with his smoking addiction. I was 11 then and never picked up one cigar in my life due to that story. LOL!! Man, that sounds like an expensive adventure, i see my cousins point of view now.Thank you very much for all your replies you have no idea how much you guys have helped me understand
Old 11/28/05, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by scrming@November 28, 2005, 3:32 PM
So did you know if Paul's sends something UPS tomorrow (tuesday) I will get in on Wednesday... and I just happen to be going to Lidio's on Thursday to do a little more playing on the dyno.... hmmmm... Not saying that I ordered something or anything like that... since I said I was done until spring... (hey we had snow and 13 degrees this weekend... it's 57 out right now... isn't that like spring? LOL!)

Oh, so you are on a first name basis with "Paul", and you have the shipping caculations all sorted out do you? Fine!

So what did you order???? It was 60 here in DC today, close enough for spring for me. Too bad the tracks are all closed for the season.
Old 11/28/05, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@November 27, 2005, 7:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with your original question. Your cousin is right, it's best to leave it alone. If you want a little extra power and better driveability, get a C&L CAI and SCT-2 from BamaChips and call it a day. It's easy to install and fairly inexpensive and won't hurt anything, I promise! Anything else will shorten the engine life and may affect the warranty. The dealerships most likely won't say much about the tune or CAI and they are easily reversable. Me, I went a little nuts. I'm not too worried about the engine or warranty.
How much power would that make, more or less?
Old 11/28/05, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Mustang@November 28, 2005, 10:15 PM
How much power would that make, more or less?
For a stick, I think somewhere around 18rwhp. Somewhere around 208 rwhp. Doug put a post up on it.
Old 11/28/05, 08:20 PM

Here is the link to the thread for the manual:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=39240

And the auto:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=39659
Old 11/28/05, 08:22 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@November 28, 2005, 11:49 AM
Johnny

For awhile at least

Very nice!!
Old 11/29/05, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by MSP@November 27, 2005, 12:23 PM
This is exactly my point of view, although I chose to understand the individual alittle more by trying to bracket him into an age catagory...

Basically, Johnny wants us all to make him a promise.. Like Galaxie has so cleverly pointed out, no one here can make you a promise.. Simply put, like Galaxie mentions about power adders, this is of course obvious regardless if the car is V6,V8, or V10...

So while the post I made could be considered dicey, it ask the obvious question, which was to inquire about the age of the poster.. Nothing wrong with that.. By answering the question, he could have established one of 2 things.. One is he is 16, in which case the questioned can be understood alittle better.. The other being he is over 16, and in that circumstance, it could be assumed he has never made any mods to an engine, and does not understand that people at forums no matter how much intellect they have can not make any promises to you in regards to how long a cars engine will last, even when the engine is bone stock.. Obviously increasing the power of the car is going to cause more wear and tear to become the said vehicle...
So understanding my question is the main issue.. To classify my question as mean spirited is another.. In which case I am sure most here who read Johnny's question at some point found themselves asking how they can legitamatley make a promise to Johnny? Why would Johnny ask us to make him a promise?
geez, the guy is just asking a question. this elitist, comic-book-store- guy-from-the-simpsons attitude is what is making people like me look to other forums for help. he's a noob. but so were you at one time. he just wants an answer, not attitude. welcome to the forum, johhny...
Old 11/29/05, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Night Raven@November 29, 2005, 10:37 AM
geez, the guy is just asking a question. this elitist, comic-book-store- guy-from-the-simpsons attitude is what is making people like me look to other forums for help. he's a noob. but so were you at one time. he just wants an answer, not attitude. welcome to the forum, johhny...

and the guys on the other forums would have simply replied "You should have bought a GT"
Old 11/29/05, 09:06 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@November 29, 2005, 8:01 AM
and the guys on the other forums would have simply replied "You should have bought a GT"

I knew it would happen.. Always does... Instead of reading all corresponding post afterwards, to gain context, people quickley hit reply and
respond based on pure emotion, instead of trying to understand the original post..

Sorry NightRaven, please continue to read all of my replys... You need to continue until you have the context of the statement.. Replying based on emotion is not good...
Old 11/29/05, 09:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Guys take it to PM if you want to talk about each others replies....

As for the original question...its been pretty well answered.

Johnny..welcome...great to see you interested

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend, and how long you plan on keeping the car.
Little things here an there, or go big...and everything inbetween.

If you want to play with the big dogs, you need the dollars to back it up.... if you want to do little mods that make your car personalized and a bit more stylish or faster... you can do that too.
Thats the beauty of the stang... you have SO much to choose from...no limits...