V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Proposed Question #2

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/06, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s proposed question time again but this time I will give hints and see if you can guess or post if you know what it is/I am talking about

P- Kiley you get this before any more hints and I will be floored or any one else for that matter.

There was something that increased HP that some of would use in our modified street cars that I have not seen mentioned on any Mustang 05-06 website or even came up on a Google search. I would think this can also used with success on a 4.0 N/A and even more on modifed or S/C 4.0 engine.

I will drop a hint/components once every 3-5 days lets play.

The first hint.

It is similar to a large coffee can and goes in the engine compartment.

I like some of you guys am always thinking and searching how do we get more HP out of our engines and you have to think out of the box at times. I would think there is some hidden HP in this 4.0 we might be able to tap. This engine has always been in a Ranger/Explorer platform so it has not been tinkered much compared if it would have been in a performance car. Quick example since this engine has been around for a while if there was a set earlier version heads that used had smaller CC chamber heads along with if you want to mill the heads would in a swap to our 4.0 would lead to a higher cylinder compression poss. 10.3 or greater which would yield real performance gains in a N/A 4.0.

So always keep thinking not just on swapping parts but anything you can think of and just post if you come up with something in the future.
Old 1/7/06, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@January 7, 2006, 5:10 PM
I will drop a hint/components once every 3-5 days lets play.

The first hint.

It is similar to a large coffee can and goes in the engine compartment.
OMG! You're going to rip the heart and soul, the tailpipe, out of a riced out Civic and perform some 2 am sacrifice to the gods of horsepower!
Old 1/7/06, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL!

OMG!!! Hamidlmt you were so close I had to read it twice but no that is not it.
Old 1/7/06, 06:45 PM
GT Member

my guess: A gas line chiller - you fill the 'can' with ICE (if you can't chill the air, chill the gas (increases density) ; )
Old 1/7/06, 06:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Good guess, another trick was to counterweigh the loss from AC and wrap the fuel lines around those. (I forget which manufacturer does that?)

I was going to guess velocity stacks, but aren't really coffee can size.
Old 1/7/06, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05Stang_WI@January 7, 2006, 7:48 PM
my guess: A gas line chiller - you fill the 'can' with ICE (if you can't chill the air, chill the gas (increases density) ; )
Yep, thats my guess too, what we used to call a "cool can."
Old 1/7/06, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

05Stang_WI

WOW!!!

I am impressed!!! thats it with copper tubing coiled up and dry ice.

05Stang why is it no one talks about doing this and how did you know about it?

I know its like no big serect but I never see anyone talking about or see it listed at any of the 4.0 retail outlets.
Old 1/7/06, 06:52 PM
GT Member

Believe it or not I saw this on a 71 Mach 1 at a car show recently - I thought it was a neat idea...

What do I win?
Old 1/7/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

slammer223

Yep, thats my guess too, what we used to call a "cool can."
Yep the aluminum can nice slammer.

Ok slammer or 05 Stang how well would you think this would work on a S/C 4.0?

You guys have any other suggestion's or tricks for more HP that has not been mentioned here or on diff websites?
Old 1/7/06, 07:13 PM
GT Member

IMO it would really be hard to tune for. Sometimes it's cold sometimes not so much... I don't see how the computer could adjust for fuel temp so I'm not sure it would end up getting you much.

The Mach I saw it on was NA - makes more sense there and for a short run like at a drag strip.

It could be a 'cool' low cost experiment...
Old 1/7/06, 07:14 PM
GT Member

You guys have any other suggestion's or tricks for more HP that has not been mentioned here or on diff websites?
Race GAS !
Old 1/7/06, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

05Stang_WI

IMO it would really be hard to tune for. Sometimes it's cold sometimes not so much... I don't see how the computer could adjust for fuel temp so I'm not sure it would end up getting you much.
Jim I think it could poss. handle it, because it has to handle air to air intercoolers and they vary temps at diff MPH but how about ice packed air to water intercoolers and what about methanol boost cooler's http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...pic=40330&st=60 methanol boost coolers.

I am just asking not sure what do you think about the above?

Hey Jim I just looked at your picture closer I am the one that posted a picture of your car at Mustangs Forums about 3 months ago and your friend found it and told you remember? That avatar picture does not do your car justice.
Old 1/7/06, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Used to do the cool can thing alot for race cars only (back in the day...carburetors), cause obviously keeping ice in there all the time would be impossible. It helped prevent vapor lock too, if I remember right.
The idea of coiling the fuel line around the A/C line is a good idea though. Not sure of the exact effect it would have with fuel injection, probably would need to run before and after tests on dyno or track to get real numbers.
Old 1/7/06, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Yes I remember - thanks for the heads up on that on - (PS: Just ordered a Saleen SC for it... I'll have to update my sig soon. I've been watching 'sranger' posts like a hawk as he is doing it right now on an 05 GT Auto....)

[Back on topic...]

To your question - I thought the MAF read only the AIR temp, but not the fuel temp - if it does then maybe the computer could figure it out - that would be sweet.

The methanol idea is neat one as well, I like the 'on demand' part of that. Ford was toying with a A/C cooled air charge a while back - for one of thier trucks I think. I don't think it ever made it to prime time, but that would give you like a 30 second burn - and then regenerate in about 60 seconds - ready for another burn....

Cooled fuel, I bet we see some forms of this again.

Jim
Old 1/7/06, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my luck, I'm working and not on the board when a challenge is laid down
Old 1/8/06, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is a cooling idea---Peltier devices! They run on DC voltage, and one side is cold, the other hot. So, you could probably rig up a "chiller" with some tubing, Peltier, and insultation. Not much to it...

Peltiers are used in car refrigerators, CPU coolers, etc. It would need to be switched off with the ignitiion, or the battery would go dead and you might freeze your gasline
Old 1/8/06, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is a cooling idea---Peltier devices! They run on DC voltage, and one side is cold, the other hot. So, you could probably rig up a "chiller" with some tubing, Peltier, and insultation. Not much to it...

Peltiers are used in car refrigerators, CPU coolers, etc. It would need to be switched off with the ignitiion, or the battery would go dead and you might freeze your gasline
WOW!!

Now this is what I call thinking out of the box!

Nice I have to do some thinking on this one just for kicks.
Old 1/8/06, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Hehe...if you want to cool something, it will work.

Remember, you don't get something for nothing; you have to get rid of the heat on the other side of the Peltier. Might be a small heat sink/fan is needed, but then again there might be enough airflow under the hood (depends on placement) that some type of heat sink will be enough.

And it is fun thinking outside of the box The Internet makes mini think-tanks possible, all over the place! Collective and colaborative brainpower is fun