V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

The Philosophy of Dual Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok... so I started out this morning positive I was going to bite the bullet and switch over to a dual exhuast setup... After hearing some really tough sounding V6's with duals, my Magnaflow just wasn't cutting it... I was sure the only way to improve the sound was by getting rid of the Y-pipe... My mind was pretty much made up... The switch would be for looks and sound only... not worried about any performance gain...

So off I headed to MRT... (www.mrt-direct.com) Seeking the advice of the Mustang Guru Scott Hoag...

I get to MRT and Scott and I start talking exhaust. Scott shows me the muffler they decided to use on their V6 SEMA car... It's an Aero-Turbine muffler that MRT has turned into an axle back kit. Now the Aero-Turbine has some pretty big claims (http://www.aero-turbine.com) but again I wasn't worried about performance... only the sound.. Scott told me how they tried different mufflers... but this one was the one that turned the most head driving through town... and beside it's good sound, it's the most free-flowing muffler available..

Now here is were Scott's sage advice comes in... I tell Scott that the Aero-Turbine looks good, and I ask, can we convert my car to a dual setup? Now I'm going to paraphrase here but you'll get the idea... Now we all can pretty much agree that our V6 will never sound like a V8. You just can't do it... I mean you can make it sound really good but you'll never be able to replicate the V8. Now here's the point that convinced me to stay with a single exhaust... When people see the dual exhausts on a Mustang they think V8... You start the car up... and no matter how good the sound is, it's not a V8 and now you've disappointed your "audience"... Now the same people look at your car, see the single exhaust, think "oh, V6"... you start the car up and it roars... Audience is now SURPRISED at the sound coming out of your single exhaust! WOW!! That's a V6? Very cool!

Ok.. so that may all sound good standing around and talking about it... But it made sense... I attend a ton of car shows... so for me it really made sense... duals may disappoint, so why not surprise with single... Ok, Scott prove it! So he grabs the muffler and we head into the shop to install it! Out comes the Magnflow... In goest the MRT!

Scott starts the car and WOW! I can already tell... more volume and MUCH deeper sound!!! Time to go for test ride! It's unreal! I can't believe the how deep the exhuast note has gotten! I mean you won't mistake it for a V8... but it has no signs of being ricey at all!!! I'm all smiles!!!

Now I did get some video... it's pretty crummy... I'll work on getting some better stuff later... The first rev is the Magnaflow... 2nd is the MRT.. and then from inside the car at take off... I had the windows down until i got on the e-way...then I put the windows up..

So if you're in the market for new muffler I would definitely give the MRT axle back a BIG

Ok.. now for a couple of quick pics and a link to the video...

Video
Old 1/26/06, 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

sign me up when those bad boys for sell?
Old 1/26/06, 08:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Oh, and i didnt except this to be the suprise, replacing what was already there lol.

Would love to see if these do have better gains over magnaflow
Old 1/26/06, 08:20 PM
MSP
Banned

Sounds pretty darn good man!! Nice job!

Seriously, I didnt think that muffler would produce such a deep sound... Is this going through the stock Y pipe?
Old 1/26/06, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 26, 2006, 10:22 PM
Oh, and i didnt except this to be the suprise, replacing what was already there lol.

Would love to see if these do have better gains over magnaflow
Yeah... i'm going to call Lidio tomorrow and see what the dyno schedule looks like... I don't want to make any comments on performance until then..LOL!

BTW... the axle back info is here: http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/mrtaxleback.php

They don't have a listing on the web for the single yet.. but it's $225... Which is actually cheaper than the Magnaflow... One thing I noticed when Scott pulled out the Magnaflow..the muffler is 100% stainless but they used regular steel for the hangers! So they were nasty rusted and of course rust stains on the muffler.. Scott uses stainless hangers!
Old 1/26/06, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the butt dyno say anything. Sounds good! Looks sweet!
Old 1/26/06, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 26, 2006, 10:23 PM
Sounds pretty darn good man!! Nice job!

Seriously, I didnt think that muffler would produce such a deep sound... Is this going through the stock Y pipe?
I know, i was comletely SHOCKED! I mean I look at the Muffler and I think RICE!!!! You should hear it in person! LOL!

Yes this is still using the stock Y-Pipe! It's just a simple axle back...
Old 1/26/06, 08:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Ya i think im going to just get that instead of go to duals, at least for a while, id be plenty happy with that sound coming out the rear (and still having the v6 appearance).
Old 1/26/06, 08:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Wait, is it for sell? Like i can order it? Or do we have to wait a little while before we can get it?
Old 1/26/06, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 26, 2006, 10:27 PM
Does the butt dyno say anything. Sounds good! Looks sweet!

ok... i wasn't going to say anything... but something seems to have change d when the car gets above about 4500 RPM... It's supposed to be nice again here tomorrow so I'll get some more time behind the wheel... Don't know when I can get the car on the dyno...
Old 1/26/06, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, that sounds great for a single!!
Old 1/26/06, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 26, 2006, 10:31 PM
Wait, is it for sell? Like i can order it? Or do we have to wait a little while before we can get it?
Yes, I believe you can... The GT kit has been out for a while... The V6 kit is simply just the passenger side... I know they don't have the part number in the computer yet... or on the web... But if your really interested give them a call... Not sure if all the staff knows they are selling the single for the V6.. so you may have to ask for Scott....
Old 1/26/06, 08:33 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@January 26, 2006, 7:29 PM
I know, i was comletely SHOCKED! I mean I look at the Muffler and I think RICE!!!! You should hear it in person! LOL!

Yes this is still using the stock Y-Pipe! It's just a simple axle back...
Thats the best sounding muffler thus far, when used with the stock Y... I wonder how it sounds with a Pro-Chamber.. Probably really good..

Ok, well I'll be posting some sounds of the new setup soon.. I'll use yours to compare since its still using the stock Y-PIPE.. Great discovery Scrming, I thought for sure the stock Y couldnt make sound like that.. Definatley somethig to consider..

This is an important day.. I know for a fact that all the other cross-overs have more gains then the Y-PIPE... But now it must be proven.. Because the YPIPE does yield to the possibility of vastley imporved sound.. So swapping out the YPIPE must be justified on paper more than in the past.. Previously the theory related to swapping to an X or H to imporve sound.. This changes everything for the sound enthusiast..
Old 1/26/06, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Hambone@January 26, 2006, 10:33 PM
Wow, that sounds great for a single!!
I know... it's absolutely amazing... I never would have guessed... I've been home for a couple of hours now... and i'm still
Cobra R Member

Ok ill look into that as soon as i can. I have a feeling after my rear end mods im going to need to free up that exhaust a bit because im going to be nearing the end of 3rd gear in the quarter.
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scrming@January 26, 2006, 10:31 PM
ok... i wasn't going to say anything... but something seems to have change d when the car gets above about 4500 RPM... It's supposed to be nice again here tomorrow so I'll get some more time behind the wheel... Don't know when I can get the car on the dyno...
Maybe you'll break that 194 plateau

I got a big chuckle out of seeing all that SNOW pushed to the side of the road....man I don't EVEN miss that..hehe.
Old 1/26/06, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Big difference definitely deeper and sounds better wuithout a doubt, I wonder how it would sound with duals but then again it just might sound better with single vs, duals. I really like the sound from inside the car esp., I like the polished look also very nice touch.
Old 1/26/06, 08:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Ya i was thinkin the same thing. Gettin the prochamber and hookin up the dual mrt system for the gt... wonder what that would sound like
Old 1/26/06, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 26, 2006, 10:36 PM
Thats the best sounding muffler thus far, when used with the stock Y... I wonder how it sounds with a Pro-Chamber.. Probably really good..

Ok, well I'll be posting some sounds of the new setup soon.. I'll use yours to compare since its still using the stock Y-PIPE.. Great discovery Scrming, I thought for sure the stock Y couldnt make sound like that.. Definatley somethig to consider..

This is an important day.. I know for a fact that all the other cross-overs have more gains then the Y-PIPE... But now it must be proven.. Because the YPIPE does yield to the possibility of vastley imporved sound.. So swapping out the YPIPE must be justified on paper more than in the past.. Previously the theory related to swapping to an X or H to imporve sound.. This changes everything for the sound enthusiast..
Yeah, I thought for sure the Y-pipe was killing my sound... I would have bet a $1 on it! Man was I ever wrong!
Old 1/26/06, 08:39 PM
MSP
Banned

I personally hate the way the single exhaust looks.. I must have duals.. If this means people with V8's must prove themself worthy, then so be it..

I have no problem bending over GT owners on a winding country road with long straightaways.. LOL!! Bring it on!!

This is a nice stop gap mod though.. With excellent results... You can still pursue dual with this setup... So making it an either or mod is not the best scenario..

Quick Reply: The Philosophy of Dual Exhaust...