V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Parts Arrived: Gears, bearings & TLOK

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/05, 08:49 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jimp@November 5, 2005, 7:50 AM
If you try a 150 or 175 shot you're going to need bigger injectors and a new fuel pump or that boost-a-pump.
Yes.. My intention is never to install less than the 150 jets.. So when its my turn, we will all have to work out the details... I'll definatley need for this to be safe, so lets all start planning for a 150shot setup.. What will be needed and recommended.. Thats my baseline is 150shot, so any help or tips is greatly appreciated..
Old 11/5/05, 08:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@November 5, 2005, 11:52 AM
Yes.. My intention is never to install less than the 150 jets.. So when its my turn, we will all have to work out the details... I'll definatley need for this to be safe, so lets all start planning for a 150shot setup.. What will be needed and recommended.. Thats my baseline is 150shot, so any help or tips is greatly appreciated..
Mike used a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump(which, I'll be honest here, I never knew about) and Cobra injectors. He said when he used the 150 shot he was having problems getting enough fuel. I don't know how much that would cost but it would be a worthwhile investment if you are going to be hitting the juice heavy.
Old 11/5/05, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, I found it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-K...sspagenameZWDVW
$188. I tell ya, Ebay is friggin' great.
Old 11/5/05, 09:01 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@November 5, 2005, 8:01 AM
Mike used a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump(which, I'll be honest here, I never knew about) and Cobra injectors. He said when he used the 150 shot he was having problems getting enough fuel. I don't know how much that would cost but it would be a worthwhile investment if you are going to be hitting the juice heavy.
I was under the impression that Mikes main concern was the design of the NOS fitting. The injector which plugs into the Air-Intake pipe 6 - 18 inches from the throttle body.. He said the quality of the NOS injector was not to good, and caused the injection to be insufficient.. See what you can find out if you dont mind.. I'm pretty sure in an email we corresponded in, this was the case.. I'll search for the email.. Stand by..
Old 11/5/05, 09:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 5, 2005, 12:04 PM
I was under the impression that Mikes main concern was the design of the NOS fitting. The injector which plugs into the Air-Intake pipe 6 - 18 inches from the throttle body.. He said the quality of the NOS injector was not to good, and caused the injection to be insufficient.. See what you can find out if you dont mind.. I'm pretty sure in an email we corresponded in, this was the case.. I'll search for the email.. Stand by..
Well maybe I had it wrong then. This is the post where he mentioned the fuel problem:

"Keep in mind that we have run a 150 shot on our car, I would not reccomend it to the squeemish, but we have done it. At 150 there seems to be a fuel distribution issue, which if we were planning on running the N2O I would take the time to figure out.

100 shouldn't be a big deal,

125 worked very well, but we were running good fuel and a good tune.

You are heading the right direction, take your time, tread lightly and keep an eye on the pressure drop across the injector when tuning the car, because if you run out of fuel with the bigger shot piston damage is near certain.

Make sure that the bottle pressure is up when the car is tuned, if the bottle pressure is only 650lbs, and you tune for "X" afr, it will run lean on a hot bottle w/ 900 and even leaner w/1100 psi.

Seemed like he was talking about not getting enough fuel. Maybe I read it wrong? I wish he would elaborate on stuff like that.
Old 11/5/05, 09:12 AM
MSP
Banned

Also, I wont be going for the Zex kit.. I'll be getting this kit at the approriate time Jimp.. I think that perhaps the quality issues Mike discussed with me, will not be a problem with this kit..

http://nitrousdirect.com/wetnitrouskits.html

Part# CFN-1101
Old 11/5/05, 09:15 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@November 5, 2005, 8:15 AM
Well maybe I had it wrong then. This is the post where he mentioned the fuel problem:

"Keep in mind that we have run a 150 shot on our car, I would not reccomend it to the squeemish, but we have done it. At 150 there seems to be a fuel distribution issue, which if we were planning on running the N2O I would take the time to figure out.

100 shouldn't be a big deal,

125 worked very well, but we were running good fuel and a good tune.

You are heading the right direction, take your time, tread lightly and keep an eye on the pressure drop across the injector when tuning the car, because if you run out of fuel with the bigger shot piston damage is near certain.

Make sure that the bottle pressure is up when the car is tuned, if the bottle pressure is only 650lbs, and you tune for "X" afr, it will run lean on a hot bottle w/ 900 and even leaner w/1100 psi.

Seemed like he was talking about not getting enough fuel. Maybe I read it wrong? I wish he would elaborate on stuff like that.

Thanks Jimp.. So it appears that encompassed to the Nozzel problems, of the Zex kit while above 125shot level,it would perhaps be ideal to also upgrade the fuel pump.. Not a problem.. I guess we should hunt down a good upgrade as well for the fuel pump.. I'd rather be safe than sorry..

Improtant notes are, there has not been a final word on the Zex Nozzel Quality.. Just a mention in an old email. which is on another one of my systems, which is not being used at the moment..
Old 11/5/05, 09:19 AM
MSP
Banned

Maybe when you get a chance, you can email him and ask him directly about the Zex Nozzel and its quality issues.. I am pretty sure he and I discussed the issue at one point..
Old 11/5/05, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@November 5, 2005, 10:26 AM
Yes, I think your ok for now.. Remember that all my calculations are for above 110MPH 1/4 mile... Look at this guy, he's also set with 3.73's..

http://www.bromell.com/the_stang.htm

Now of course you can take 4.10 car to 11's.. But you understand and hope that a slightly higher RPM motor wont hurt itself.. Also, if for instance your car stops making power at a certain point, lets say 5500 rpm, and your motor is not producing anymore power, well, this means its time to shift.. Example

Lets say our engine is done making power at 5500RPM.. Just a quick example..

We have enough power to make a 115MPH pass in 4th gear..

This would place our engine @ 5760RPM while at 115MPH, with 4.10's..

Now at 115 with 3.73's, this would place us at 5240 RPM @ 115MPH with 3.73's..

So you see how important this is for later?

This is very improtant for later..

You know, looking that that 4.3 you mentioned, I'm not suprised supersix motor sports is behind that car. They have a V6 running in the 10's.
Old 11/5/05, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by MSP@November 5, 2005, 11:15 AM
Also, I wont be going for the Zex kit.. I'll be getting this kit at the approriate time Jimp.. I think that perhaps the quality issues Mike discussed with me, will not be a problem with this kit..

http://nitrousdirect.com/wetnitrouskits.html

Part# CFN-1101
I was looking at this kit last week, but wanted to inquire with everyone here on it. How does it differ form Zex, not from a shot perspective, but from a safety perspective. My understanding that the Zex kit Scrming got had some extra saftey parts/functionality.
Old 11/5/05, 09:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 12:57 PM
I was looking at this kit last week, but wanted to inquire with everyone here on it. How does it differ form Zex, not from a shot perspective, but from a safety perspective. My understanding that the Zex kit Scrming got had some extra saftey parts/functionality.
I have the Zex kit also. The Nitrous Management Unit won't allow you to run too lean. If the bottle pressure isn't high enough, it will alter the fuel pressure to compensate. It's pretty safe as far as nitrous systems go.
Old 11/5/05, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Jimp@November 5, 2005, 12:01 PM
I have the Zex kit also. The Nitrous Management Unit won't allow you to run too lean. If the bottle pressure isn't high enough, it will alter the fuel pressure to compensate. It's pretty safe as far as nitrous systems go.

I have never used a nitrous kit before, so I am thinking since I am new to this, I better play it safe and get all the saftey equipment I can find.
Old 11/5/05, 10:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 1:09 PM
I have never used a nitrous kit before, so I am thinking since I am new to this, I better play it safe and get all the saftey equipment I can find.
Well, I don't know anything about the kit that MSP linked. It may well be a safe kit also. I just know that the Zex is pretty good. And it's made for our cars.
Old 11/5/05, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 11:57 AM
Yes, as far as I know the Zex is the only kit that will adjust fuel based on nitrous pressure... that being said, it is still a good idea to have a pressure gauge. If your pressure is to high you can still get yourself into trouble! To high of nitrous pressure and you can end up to lean or cause damage to the solenoids.... Hence it's a very good idea to have a gauge... regardless of who's kit you have...

Also, we tune and verified my A/F bases on 900psi... so when I run I like to make sure i'm right around 900psi...

As far as the BAP... I believe that Mike had to do some creative wiring... remmber we have a returnless fuel system... I think the BAP and the fuel pump end of fighting each other... hence the wiring games...
Old 11/5/05, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by scrming@November 5, 2005, 12:17 PM
Yes, as far as I know the Zex is the only kit that will adjust fuel based on nitrous pressure... that being said, it is still a good idea to have a pressure gauge. If your pressure is to high you can still get yourself into trouble! To high of nitrous pressure and you can end up to lean or cause damage to the solenoids.... Hence it's a very good idea to have a gauge... regardless of who's kit you have...

Also, we tune and verified my A/F bases on 900psi... so when I run I like to make sure i'm right around 900psi...

As far as the BAP... I believe that Mike had to do some creative wiring... remmber we have a returnless fuel system... I think the BAP and the fuel pump end of fighting each other... hence the wiring games...

How much did the install run you guys?
Old 11/5/05, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 1:20 PM
How much did the install run you guys?
The Zex? Free! I did it myself. My brother helped a little. It's not hard.
Old 11/5/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jimp@November 5, 2005, 12:21 PM
The Zex? Free! I did it myself. My brother helped a little. It's not hard.
yeah... I had my buddy from work help... wasn't hard... the toughtest part was the bottle install because we tucked it in the corner so he made some custom mounting plates...

It also helps to have two people for running the supply line... we ran it under the car... Gene fed it up and I was up top to grap it..

You do have to drill a couple of holes... good drill and sharp bits help...

The other tip would be to lay the kit all out and figure out where everything is going to go before you actually start the install...
Old 11/5/05, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 7:37 AM
I took them out again this morning, it came with install directions, and the first section was verify your gear ratio. Had instructions for counting the ring and pinion, ring is 40, pinion is 10. I got 4.10's.

Oh well, boxed them back up. Must have patience!
40/10 = 4.0 ?
It seems to me that you should have had 41 teeth on the ring:
41/10 = 4.1
Old 11/5/05, 11:20 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Gearhead@November 5, 2005, 9:53 AM
40/10 = 4.0 ?
It seems to me that you should have had 41 teeth on the ring:
41/10 = 4.1
http://www.csgnetwork.com/rnggrpinioncalc.html

Your right GearHead! Nice catch!!
Old 11/5/05, 11:22 AM
MSP
Banned

So this means the 3.73 should be 41/11!

Count it again rygenstormlocke!! You may have the 3.73!! Use the link above..

I just counted my 3.73's, and they are

Ring= 41

Pinion= 11

Gearhead you da Man!!

If you did get a 40/10, keep it, you lucky dogg!! Thats perfect! LOL!!

Quick Reply: Parts Arrived: Gears, bearings & TLOK