V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

New V6 Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/05, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm your typical college grad who just bought a new car...Unfortunately the job I picked up didn't allow for the price of the GT so I went with the V6.

I'm not up on all of the car talk, so I don't really understand a lot of the stuff you're talking about. I can say this however:

Off the line the V6 feels pretty impressive...solid shifting at right about where I would normally do it manually.

In the higher ranges above 60 the pickup is a little lacking...but that may be that I haven't gotten used to it yet. The pedal feels like it may have a rather large dead zone so I may just be a little light on it.

I'm thinking of adding a dual exhaust to get a better sound, efficiency etc...etc...and I was wonder what kind of HP increase that may or may not add.

Lastly...what sorts of things can be done to the V6 to give it a REAL increase...I've been reading about superchargers and all of that but don't understand most of it. I guess what I'm looking for is an idea of what sort of HP I could get it up to without damaging it, and roughly what it would cost...mostly out of curiosity, but it might be something that I'd do in the future.

Really lastly...I've got a friend who just bought a focus SVT who wants to race me...if I say yes will he be able to beat me in any way? His focus is a tuned V4, much lighter and with about 160 HP max. Do I dare take him on in a short (1/4m) speed test?
Old 2/21/05, 02:13 PM

YES YOU WILL KICK HI A--
Old 2/21/05, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

i dont know with the automatic, it might be close in the beginning, is his focus a manual or automatic?
by the way congrats on the car and have fun with it. what color did you choose?
Old 2/21/05, 03:29 PM

His is a manual...Mine is an automatic...it's in Sonic Blue with the exterior upgrade. I'm not sure if I want to keep the "Mustang" tape or not yet. Spoiler is pretty nice I think...looks good without it as well, but I feel like it rounds off the car nicely. I'm having problems with the shaker 500 system (skipping problem) and am rather miffed at that. I'm moving soon so I hope I'll be able to find a dealer who can fix the issue.
Old 2/21/05, 03:32 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Congrats on your new Mustang Nate... post some photos if ya got some

I love the V6, but I think his Focus would win, I havent seen any numbers but it was worked on by SVT, so
Old 2/21/05, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

You should have no problem beating the Focus...depends on how you drive of course, but the V6 is much more powerful than most people give it credit for. I've had a hoot with mine...don't be shy!!!!
Old 2/21/05, 04:31 PM

I graduated from college many years ago, but still bought the V6. Congrats on your purchase! You'll also find you like the V6 insurance much better than the GT. As for noggin to noggin competition, there's only one way to find out, give it a go! You could look to see what the Focus forums say (if they have them) about their times. I think our stock V6 is in the low 15's for the 1/4, and it appears only very experienced guys can get faster time with the manual. Good luck!
Old 2/21/05, 07:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're a recent college grad? Don't worry about the V6! Enjoy it! You'll have plenty of time to "upgrade" later on. Every car I've owned has had more power than the last. If you got to a V8 now, what would you upgrade to next?
Old 2/21/05, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@February 21, 2005, 9:22 PM
You're a recent college grad? Don't worry about the V6! Enjoy it! You'll have plenty of time to "upgrade" later on. Every car I've owned has had more power than the last. If you got to a V8 now, what would you upgrade to next?
v10 or v12
Old 2/21/05, 08:24 PM
Cobra R Member

v12 mustang....
Old 2/21/05, 10:12 PM

Hehe...Yeah...I'll just have to give it a go and see what happens...

I'm a recent college grad with a pretty good job...

I'm having a blast with my V6 it's my first car (I've driven many but owned none) and am EXTREMELY happy with it. I'll wait until I've got a good financial backing behind me to upgrade and or buy a new car but for now I was just wondering what could be done. The dual exhaust idea is mostly for a better sound, I was wondering what my options were there.

V8 would be cool but the near 10k price difference put the payments out of my safe zone (still doable, but not sane!) so for now the V6 is more than I could have asked for. Besides...power or not...this is the best LOOKING car on the road...hands down. Chalk up another proud V6 owner on the board.
Old 2/22/05, 02:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ive read this thread several times and still havent made a direct reply to it.. sorry about that.. the quickest mods, and problably cheapest, you could do to your car would be the standard: Intake, Exhaust, and Tune. There are, however, downsides to keep in mind. After each mod the car really needs to be tuned. From what Ive seen so far the v6 is really powered down by Ford to keep it from competing as much with the GT, and is tune hungry. Just some things to keep in mind.. Be careful choosing a intake as the car stands a chance of running lean if its getting too much air. With the exhaust, there are cases where you actually lose hp.. I dont think Ive heard of this happening with this car so far though. As I mentioned before, tuning after each mod would produce the best performance gains, and it would be optimal if you could do it all at one time.

Im really sorry to hear you've been having problems with the Shaker system, although it seems to be common enough they should be comming out with a solution for it. Shelby may have said 'There's no replacement for displacement.' but I say "There's no replacement for a good aftermaket system." For the time I had my stock HU in, which was a basic Shaker system, I never had any trouble with it reading CDs. Be on the look out for the fuel pump problems.. I never had any trouble until recently, and Im around 2300 miles. Once I removed the nozzle from the tank, waited about 15 sec and tried it again thinking it might be vapor lock.. it seemed to work and the tank filled normally after that. The next few times this didnt seem to work, but rotating the nozzle around 60 or so degrees fixed the problem.

Other than that, glad to see your enjoying the car!