V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

New question on Dual

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/06, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New question on Dual

I'm like a lot of V6 owners and planning duals, but went to my dealer today and looked at how they are installing it on their upgrade V6's.

They are not installing and "H" or an "X" but two OEM "Y" back to back, it seems like a simple install but I'm wondering if it's good and if it could cause any issue.

I have included a small PDF document to show you what I'm talking about.

Looking for your feedback.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dual.pdf (117.3 KB, 255 views)
Old 5/11/06, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dineau
I'm like a lot of V6 owners and planning duals, but went to my dealer today and looked at how they are installing it on their upgrade V6's.

They are not installing and "H" or an "X" but two OEM "Y" back to back, it seems like a simple install but I'm wondering if it's good and if it could cause any issue.

I have included a small PDF document to show you what I'm talking about.

Looking for your feedback.
I used to have the dual Y pipe setup, you will not have any issues. When I converted this setup to an X, sound was exactly the same and HP gain was 2hp, which is arguable on a dyno jet.
Old 5/11/06, 10:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting idea. I am preparing to order or see about having a shop fab me an X-Pipe. I though the deal with the V6 was the pipes coming off the mainfold were 2 1/4, and the coming out of the Y it was 2 1/2?

Also....can we just elimanite the x/h/y pipe? Just come straight back from the cats? Or would there not be enough back pressure?

Since we're talking about it, what's the best X-Pipe to get? I have seen quite a range on prices, from 80 bucks to over 300, so I'm not sure which one to get now...
Old 5/12/06, 01:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

The pipes are 2 1/2 all the way through. You can eliminate a crossover if you want, I ran it for over half a year this way. Backpressure sucks, the exhaust will pop really bad, and with mine I had one bank running hotter than the other. I just wouldnt reccomend it. Xpipes will all be the same IMO find the cheap one and go with it.
Old 5/12/06, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kamicosmos
Interesting idea. I am preparing to order or see about having a shop fab me an X-Pipe. I though the deal with the V6 was the pipes coming off the mainfold were 2 1/4, and the coming out of the Y it was 2 1/2?

Also....can we just elimanite the x/h/y pipe? Just come straight back from the cats? Or would there not be enough back pressure?

Since we're talking about it, what's the best X-Pipe to get? I have seen quite a range on prices, from 80 bucks to over 300, so I'm not sure which one to get now...
2.25 before the cats, 2.5 after the cats. You can eliminate the cross over type pipe, and go straight through, but it will sound like crap and you will loose back pressure. The 3 guys I know that did it put a X or H in right away. For X pipe, I went with the Magnaflow TruX, it was $80.
Old 5/12/06, 10:10 PM
V6 Member

thanks, rygenstormlocke! That's the sort of info I wanted. Definitely don't want the car to sound crappy!
Old 5/13/06, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

OH sure me and rygen say basically the exact same thing and he gets all the thanks and credit. Typical. Stupid rygen.
Old 5/14/06, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zodiac
OH sure me and rygen say basically the exact same thing and he gets all the thanks and credit. Typical. Stupid rygen.
Sorry man, you said the same thing.
Old 5/22/06, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

True X-Pipe?

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
For X pipe, I went with the Magnaflow TruX, it was $80.
$80.....Where?
Old 5/23/06, 05:47 AM
V6 Member

I recently had duals installed usingi GT mufflers and a GT mid pipe for the drivers side. Originally we ran straight pipes. I was not happy with the sound until yesterday when I added a balance tube resulting in an H pipe configuration. This made all the difference in the world. I don't think it makes much difference if you use an X or H pipe as they both sound about the same. The point is, like Rygen said, you won't like the sound unless you do one or the other. By the way this cost less than $200 parts and labor.
Old 9/23/06, 01:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Is the "X" Pipe still the prefered way to go when adding duals to the V6's??
Old 9/23/06, 05:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slowjoe24
Is the "X" Pipe still the prefered way to go when adding duals to the V6's??
I don't think there is anything close to 100% agreement on a preferred way. The general concensus is to use an "X", an "H", or a reverse "Y"

Any of the above will work and sound fine.

Running it straight back without tying the two sides together has been widely found to be unacceptable (sounds crappy)
Old 9/27/06, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, the V6 has 2.25 pipes all the way to the y. after the y they are 2.5, just like the GT.

I have a oem GT h-pipe that had been cut after the cats. I cut the V6 y at the same place and slipped the GT h-pipe over the cut V6 pipes. I had a shop weld it up, so it looks factory and all emmissions in place. Im very pleased with it.