V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

NEW information 2006 Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/05, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like to find out for one way or the other if they are the same.

Ok I called Ford I asked for the part number on a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 right side camshaft and the part number on 2006 Mustang 4.0 right side camshaft.

Ford Explorer 4.0 Right side camshaft part # 5L2Z6250AA
Ford Mustang 4.0 right side camshaft part# 5L2Z6250AA

Same camshaft

I am getting the same part number. Rygn you said at the other forum you know someone Kevin at KC Ford, can you ask him for the part # for the right camshaft on the 06 Explorer 4.0 & 06 Mustang 4.0 and post the numbers here to see if it checks out what I was told.

If anyone else could check also and post back would be nice.

You know I just seen a commerical last night Ford saying this was the most powerful Explorer yet (meaning vs previous Explorer's)
Old 12/5/05, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok just found this check this out all Dyno 2005's I have seen have been 160-167 stock

996r916sps

Hi,
I just got my 2006 Mustang last Tuesday night. I ordered a 5spd manual transmission without ABS. I had it on the dyno at Alternative Auto on Saturday morning, and it made 182rwhp and 207ft./lbs. Tq. This was the first manual transmission 2005/2006 they have had come in. We mad some slight adjustments, and saw 187rwhp and 217ft./lbs. Tq. I plan to get a little more aggressive when we put on a new CAI. If anyone has any questions, you can email me at smithars724@yahoo.com.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_831415/mpage_2/tm.htm
Old 12/5/05, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's the difference between the automatic and manual in these cars. Only 1 in 10 or such and such is a manual, so Ill bet those numbers you've seen are all autos. I have an 05 manual and with the baseline pull I made with just my exhaust showed I was probably within that range stock.

The other side is to claim I gained nearly 30rwhp off my exhaust set up.
Old 12/5/05, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TJ06@December 5, 2005, 11:20 AM
I like to find out for one way or the other if they are the same.

Ok I called Ford I asked for the part number on a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 right side camshaft and the part number on 2006 Mustang 4.0 right side camshaft.

Ford Explorer 4.0 Right side camshaft part # 5L2Z6250AA
Ford Mustang 4.0 right side camshaft part# 5L2Z6250AA

Same camshaft

I am getting the same part number. Rygn you said at the other forum you know someone Kevin at KC Ford, can you ask him for the part # for the right camshaft on the 06 Explorer 4.0 & 06 Mustang 4.0 and post the numbers here to see if it checks out what I was told.

If anyone else could check also and post back would be nice.

You know I just seen a commerical last night Ford saying this was the most powerful Explorer yet (meaning vs previous Explorer's)

I called Kevin (KC) at Clevenger Ford (800-570-5554) and he showed the same part number as above (5L2Z6250AA) and said the left side part number was 5L2Z6250BA and said it will probably change to AA once they are out of the BA specified units.

He's reliable, I bought all the parts I needed for my bumpers from him and know other people that buy from him.
Old 12/5/05, 04:02 PM
Banned

The Camshafts are the same side to side and I would think even in the all of the 06's. The difference is going to be in year model but according to that part number, 5L2Z that is a 05' part number. If someone would be nice enough to purchase one of these I would gladly send it to my buddy at Comp Cams and have it read.

Just a thought?

thanks, Doug.
Old 12/5/05, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

TDoug904
The Camshafts are the same side to side and I would think even in the all of the 06's.
Yes i knew that same Lift/Duration. Doug I read that Ford put a new cam in the 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 I was trying to see if the 06 Explorer and 06 Mustang 4.0 use the same cam. I was just using the right side comparison to see if they were different part numbers but they are not they are the same number which means they both use/have the same cam's in 06

The difference is going to be in year model but according to that part number, 5L2Z that is a 05' part number.
Doug I have to disgree with you here for this reason I ended up calling two Ford dealerships/parts dept and ask made sure they knew it was for 2006 models and was given that number by both for 2006 Explorer 4.0 and Mustang 4.0 camshaft part numbers.

Rygn also check on 2006 and was also given the same part number for 2006 camshaft. I could see logically what your saying ( first 5 designating yr) but also going by what two Ford parts dept gave me , only thing I can think of is maybe part number will change to 6L2Z shortly in 06 and temporary the letters at the end of the part # designat 06.
Also the number does have a 6 in to also poss designat 2006. (5L2Z6250AA)

You know I think I'm over analyzing this

Rygn Thanks for confirming
Old 12/5/05, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by TJ06@December 5, 2005, 6:19 PM
Yes i knew that same Lift/Duration. Doug I read that Ford put a new cam in the 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 I was trying to see if the 06 Explorer and 06 Mustang 4.0 use the same cam. I was just using the right side comparison to see if they were different part numbers but they are not they are the same number which means they both use/have the same cam's in 06
Doug I have to disgree with you here for this reason I ended up calling two Ford dealerships/parts dept and ask made sure they knew it was for 2006 models and was given that number by both for 2006 Explorer 4.0 and Mustang 4.0 camshaft part numbers.

Rygn also check on 2006 and was also given the same part number for 2006 camshaft. I could see logically what your saying ( first 5 designating yr) but also going by what two Ford parts dept gave me , only thing I can think of is maybe part number will change to 6L2Z shortly in 06 and temporary the letters at the end of the part # designat 06.

No problem and being thorough is a good thing!
Old 12/5/05, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TJ06@December 5, 2005, 5:19 PM

Hey guy,

Not a problem, the thing you need to check is thepart number for the 05' V6 camshafts, which I would tend to beleive is the same number. Ford doesn't change part number on the same part year to year, sometimes they do update them but most of the time not year to year. If it is the same part used for 3-4 years then they will.

The 6250 part number is the basic part number, which means its a camsahft. Ford has used this designation from the get go. For example an 7576 is a automatic bellhousing, an 1102 is a brake rotor and so on. The main thing that chnages year to year on a Ford part number is the prefix(4 digits) and suffix (two digits).

The number they give you reads more like 5L2Z - 6250- AA

Check out the 05' number and let us know what you find out, If I goto my parts department and ask the Part number on a 4.0 camshaft they tell me to get back to work.

thanks, Doug.
Old 12/5/05, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford doesn't change part number on the same part year to year
Ok Doug you seemed to know the Ford system let me ask you this. Is this what you mean, so if Ford made slight changes to the cam for the 2006 4.0 they would not change the part # prefix for 06 because ("Ford doesn't change part number on the same part year to year').

If the above is correct disregard the questions below.

If the above is not correct why did the two dealers when I asked for the part # for a 2006 Explorer/Mustang camshaft give me a number
with a prefix of 5L2Z for a 2006 Explorer/Mustang.? If I understand you right the prefix should have started with a 6 (example 6L2Z) for the year 2006 Explorer/Mustang.

Rygn had a guy in a differnt state also check for a 2006 Camshaft and also was given a part # with a prefex of 5L2Z (# 5L2Z6250AA) for a 2006 camshaft Explorer/mustang.

Thanks for helping me understand this because its starting to drive me a little crazy.
Old 12/6/05, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you gentlemen for chasing this information down. It's like watching a tennis match! I am very intertested in this as my little pony is an 06!!! Keep up the good work!

Old 12/6/05, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Excepcion13

Excep I have 06 also and I am 99% convinced the 2006 Explorer 4.0 and 2006 Mustang 4.0 use the same camshaft.
Old 12/6/05, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 6, 2005, 1:50 PM
Thanks Excepcion13

Excep I have 06 also and I am 99% convinced the 2006 Explorer 4.0 and 2006 Mustang 4.0 use the same camshaft.
And that is na good thing, right? I remember reading that performance, and not just emissions, were enhanced. I initially was excited about the change but there seems to be some controversy about whether the cam shaft is a + or a -.
Old 12/6/05, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Excepcion13
And that is na good thing, right?
Look at that dyno above we sure didn't lose anything did we?

When I first read the article about 2 months ago on the camshaft thought more than likely to my self it was in the Stang too. Then I post at the other forum in an diff thread about different topic and happen to mention it and some guy takes my quote and starts a whole new thread with my quote about it.

Now I have diff people asking for proof and I don't save every link I read and when they asked me I couldn’t produce any . So I went searching and I couldn't find it :bang: or one mentioning the camshaft. Then I searched again and thank god (so as to not be called BSer) I found one similar stating the camshaft change so I post it figured that was the end.

Paraphrasing
Then I get well that’s just in the Explorer 4.0 not the Mustang do you have any proof its in the Mustang then that sends me on another search/quest to find out and prove if what I was like 90% sure it was and just took as common sense was true was brings us to today

No offense to any here or at MF’s in the above. Except for the guy who took my quote and stated a whole new tread with it

Here I will start another controversy I totally believe for my own reasons and research when they said (“4.0-liter SOHC V-6 engine received significant improvements for the 2006 model year’) there is more changes/improvements then they mentioned not just emissions, Ford does not get into details to the public in ads.

But that’s as far as I am going I not going on another search and quest to prove what I believe no hard facts just Ford past history and the new CS6.
Old 12/6/05, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

No, TJ, we sure didn't lose a darn thing! BTW, the Pony Package looks good in Black. It was toss up for me between the Black and the Windveil Blue. People tend to either love or hate the WB...
Old 12/6/05, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think you guys are going way too far into this. Didn't the claim that the 06 Explorer was better performing and more fuel efficient only apply to the v8s?

i dunno. Resume researching...
Old 12/6/05, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by futuresvt@December 6, 2005, 3:11 PM
I think you guys are going way too far into this. Didn't the claim that the 06 Explorer was better performing and more fuel efficient only apply to the v8s?

i dunno. Resume researching...
Im gonna laugh sooooo hard....
Old 12/6/05, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by TJ06@December 6, 2005, 2:25 PM
Look at that dyno above we sure didn't lose anything did we?

When I first read the article about 2 months ago on the camshaft thought more than likely to my self it was in the Stang too. Then I post at the other forum in an diff thread about different topic and happen to mention it and some guy takes my quote and starts a whole new thread with my quote about it.

Now I have diff people asking for proof and I don't save every link I read and when they asked me I couldn’t produce any . So I went searching and I couldn't find it :bang: or one mentioning the camshaft. Then I searched again and thank god (so as to not be called BSer) I found one similar stating the camshaft change so I post it figured that was the end.

Paraphrasing
Then I get well that’s just in the Explorer 4.0 not the Mustang do you have any proof its in the Mustang then that sends me on another search/quest to find out and prove if what I was like 90% sure it was and just took as common sense was true was brings us to today

No offense to any here or at MF’s in the above. Except for the guy who took my quote and stated a whole new tread with it
Here I will start another controversy I totally believe for my own reasons and research when they said (“4.0-liter SOHC V-6 engine received significant improvements for the 2006 model year’) there is a lot more changes/improvements then they mentioned not just emissions, Ford does not get into details to the public in ads.

But that’s as far as I am going I not going on another search and quest to prove what I believe no hard facts just Ford past history and the new CS6.

If you are referring to me I did start a thread on the 3rd about it, but I do not take credit when I put a post up that is duplicated from another board. I always indicate that I got my information from another thread and post it here for technical review. I usually put a link to the originating thread and in this case, I failed to do that, so if I offended you please accept my apologies. I do find your technical input valuable on this board as I do others and it helps with research for what MOD's I plan on making.

Also, I too researched a good bit on this one and we both came accross the same articles, so we know it's a valid quest to get to the bottom of this.

Just wanted to throw that one out on the table. As for this particular discussion, I am interested to see how it turns out.
Old 12/6/05, 01:43 PM

Unless of course you are referring to cut/paste over on MF, which already had your thread going. That one wasn't mine! LOL.
Old 12/6/05, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Didn't the claim that the 06 Explorer was better performing and more fuel efficient only apply to the v8s?
I believe but not sure the TQ rating on the 2006 4.0 is higher than last year so the claim would apply to the 4.0 and the V8. But yes I have to laugh I have 4.0 so much on my mind I forgot it even comes with a V8

I think you guys are going way too far into this.
I know the cam ( & animations just havindg fun)is not a big deal just got wrapped up in this where is the proof and it is going to far, but Ford has made improvements through the years continually on this engine internally and some are more than just minor if you research the history on this engine. So with a S/C in mind significant or minor I will take them.

You know this is going to far there is enough info out people could take and follow up on I have my research and beliefs, lets end this thread and talk SuperCharges/ research n the other threads.
Old 12/6/05, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

rygenstormlocke
If you are referring to me
NO not you the member StupidTodd at MF's unless thats you and do you have two screen names?

http://mustangforums.com/m_831415/tm.htm

Do you go under the Name StupidTodd?

Im not upset with that guy but we were already talking about it he didn't have to start a new thread titled with my qoute and my name a link would have been cool I had to defend two threads in the same forum back and forth

It would not have been a problem if started another thread without using my quote along with my name in the exact same forum see link above.

Wouldn't you agree?

Quick Reply: NEW information 2006 Camshaft