V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Need Help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/05, 02:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Pulled my rear brake caliper and while ready to put it back on, the piston that presses on the brake pads is extended so it wont fit on until it can be pressed back in. How do I get it to go back in? Please help me so i can have my car back together!!
Old 11/19/05, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

You need to loosen the brake bleeder valve on the back of the caliper. That will relieve the pressure, so the piston goes back in. Tighten it after you get it compressed and back on.

When all is completed, bleed the brakes, starting at the farthest point from the MC reservoir and working your way back in.

Tom
Old 11/19/05, 02:52 PM
GT Member

check to see if the piston has a + looking front face, if so it will have to be screwed back in, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to do this,, I'm not sure if the e/brake shoe is inboard or not
or if it uses the disc pad, if it uses the disc pad as the e/brake then it should have that + to the face of the piston...also you can use a LARGE pair of channel lock pliers if you dont see that + and slowly squeese it back in good luck
Old 11/19/05, 03:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

there are clamps that extend outward rather than squeeze. You may need one of these. You don't need to open bleeder screws, but your master will get back up to level if it seemed low.
I don't know if there is a special bleeding sequence for vehicles with ABS & TCS, but if you don't have that then follow the procedure Tom explained.
Old 11/19/05, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

I have ABS and TC. The piston is very far out. I cant even put the caliper over the rotar and one pad, let alone both. The piston is like a circle, not an +. please help, i dont know what to do.
Old 11/19/05, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do you have any normal clamps. You will need at least two (is it a floating or fixed caliper) to secure the piston from each side. Clamp the piston to the caliper face, and keep tightening until piston returns back to it's place. You can also do this with the pads on, it makes it easier to squeeze it evenly.
good luck
Old 11/19/05, 03:41 PM
GT Member

try the LARGE pair of channel locks or a BIG C clamp, with a block of wood against the piston and start winding it back in
Old 11/19/05, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

It took me a while but I finally figered it out. You need to c-clamp the piston with a litte bit of tension, then with a pair of channel locks you need to turn the piston clockwise. Tighten the c-clamp a little more and then turn the piston clockwise with the channel lock. Keep repeating this until the piston is far enough so the caliper can be reinstalled. It does take a litte while but in the end I got it fixed. Also note, a third had would have been very helpful but you can do it by yourself. I had to blead the brakes becuase I disconnected the brake line, but DONT do that, you dont need to. All you have to do is remove the cap on the resovoir to the MC and do the process I stated above. You shouldnt need to blead the brakes unless the piston goes out past the seal. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.