V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Mangalfow Exhaust Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/05, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,

As you can see from my sig, I have Magnaflow exhaust system on my car. Here is what I got:

http://www.hopupracing.com/maducatbaexs.html

I have it installed, and the sound is great. Very deep bass/rubmle at the lower RPM's. Dosent sound like and 8, but it sounds pretty close and you can definitely hear the american muscle car heritage in it.

Now for my questions, and I hope some of you can help. I took it to my mechanic and he put it in. He had to fabricate a cutom hanger for the driver side muffler to make it fit the hole on the left side of my GT bumper. I was under the car after the install and it is very tight. However, I get two types of sounds one in every 4 stop lights when the car is idleing, as follows:

1. rattling at the rear of the car, sometimes very noisy
2. popping sound, though this seems rare and pretty much gone now (break in period?)

But the rattling is very annoying and I can't tell what it is. Getting under the car and looking at the pipes and they are very secure and firm.

Any ideas on this one? I want to resolve this before I do any other work on it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 9/24/05, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one of the MAC dual Y-pipe kits on my '98 Muatang and no matter what I tried I could not get it to completely stop rattling.

It would always rattle against the gas tank when I made a sharp turn. When I first installed the kit, it was rattling because the pipes that went over the rear axle were hitting the cars body.

I ended up spending a few hours under the car loosening all of the connections and brackets. I then tried to get as much space on either side of the pipes as possible while keeping rear pipes streight (this can be challenging).

I ended up living with the exhaust occasionally rattling around turns and keeping an eye on the brake lines as the pipes ran very close and were originally scratching them (might not be a problem on the '05). On the '05 I decided to settle for the single Ford Racing exhaust for now.

I talked with a guy at the local muffler shop and he told me that he has all kinds of problems getting kits to fit correctly (on the '98 it does not rattle on the manual as much as the automatic). He reccomended having a shop make a custom system for my vert.
Old 9/25/05, 05:27 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rattling sound has said to be present when going dual with aftermarket mufflers, and using a Y-PIPE... I personally never experienced this, because when I went dual, I used an XPIPE...

So there could be some science behind this.. It is possible, that forcing the exhaust gases through the YPIPE, and then adding a muffler, which is not as restirctive as a stock one, could cause some type of resonance in that section of the exhaust..

With the XPIPE, at the point where your rattling exist, both sides of the banks blend, thus creating a better sound, increasing Torque, but also relieving the system of some type of build up, which exist with the 2 into 1 Y setup..

The only people to ever complain about the rattling sound are those who went dual, kept the Y PIPE, and used aftermarket mufflers... All others never experince this situation..
Old 9/25/05, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip MSP. I plan on going true duals soon, but wanted to resolve my problem before going forward. Looks like an X Pipe is the way to go.

I just jacked up the car and found once source of rattling. The guy who installed it put a custom hanger on the left muffler and it is bumping against the underside of the car. At least it isn't bumping against the gas tank. But it was annoying to find. He made the hanger rod too short!!! Grrr.

However I love the sound of the straight through mangaflows. Turns many heads around here. One of the reason I chose the Mangaflows is that it is loud at first, very loud in fact but cruising speed is not so bad...which is good cause I do a lot of confrence calls in my car. Just need to get rid of the rattling. One of the reasons I went with this kit is because of the price, got a great deal on it installed and the fact that its not a welded kit, meaning if my gas tank has issues I won't have to deal with the dealership cutting up my ride. Following this I do plan on a XPipe or Hpipe and true dual to the cats.

Thanks!

MSP: Nice to see you online again!