V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow V6 Exhaust System - Help us design it!

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/04, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys-
We are trying to build an exhaust system for the V6 but have run into some problems-

mainly the exhaust cut out-

We designed a single system- but thought it looked like an import exhaust

So we made this dual system- but we are not sure how it looks with the single cut out and dual exhaust-

Anyways-

We are looking for suggestions- Help us build the ultimate exhaust system for you!!!
Old 12/17/04, 01:55 PM
GT Member

One more
Old 12/17/04, 03:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kinda difficult to get a good look from those photos, a little on the dark side. How about a nice single exhaust muffler with a nioce tone and a tasteful chrome tip?
Old 12/17/04, 03:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't look too bad to me. Do you know how much extra HP your exhaust might add to the stock V6?

I saw in a post a while ago that the V6 has a lot more power then Ford admits to. Also that Ford put on a lower performing exhaust on the V6 in order to keep it from competing too much with the GT. B)
Old 12/17/04, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

IF my V6 ever gets here I would be more then happy to help you guys out. I have always been an import tuner but fell in love with the 05 body style.

After looking at the Dyno specs on the V6 motor it looks like to me that by adding a single larger volume/ free flowing muffler that would give you the most benefit for this motor.

I was thinking the Super 40 Series by Flowmaster in a 3" design. Since the car already has 2.5" piping and looking at the exhaust flow from the V6. It appears that chopping of the highly restricted stock muffler and adding an open two chamber design with the larger 3" inlet and 3" outlet ports and a simple 3" dump of approximately 6.5" in total length should be perfect for that motor.

I think the look of duals while the rear bumper only has a single cutout looks worse then having more of an Import look. I think if you do not use a straight tip on the single and use a standard "dump" that you will get more of the muscle car look that you are after. Plus the exhaust note dumping into the ground will cancel out some more of the higher freq sound waves leaving you with a low to mellow sound note.
Old 12/17/04, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford had put a single cut-out on the prototype '99, but thankfully this did not make it to production as it has on the 2005. My 2004 looks and sounds awesome with the Magnaflow bolt-on kit # 15717 ... no cut-outs needed !!

There is nothing you can do about the single cut-out, thankfully it is not as pronounced as the GT's cut-outs. I think what you have done is very much acceptable, considering what you have to work with.

Could you make the mufflers hangers or tips adjustable (if this is possible) so that it would work with the GT bumper cover as well ?? Soon enough, there will be plenty of take-off GT bumper covers available from Saleen, Roush, Steeda, Kenny Brown, and the other tuners.

Also, please post some picks of the pipes underneath !!
Old 12/17/04, 06:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any larger images?

I was thinking that maybe with longer polished extensions (a la LX 5.0), it would draw attention away from the cutout.
Old 12/17/04, 07:21 PM
Rik
GT Member

Different options for different potential buyers. Some of us, like Tiberius, would be happy with a single performance muffler and a nice looking chrome tip. It would also be the most economical alternative.

Of course, many people (most?) prefer the dual exhaust look. Coincidentally, I spoke to a body shop man on this subject just yesterday. I asked him how difficult it would be to cut out a matching notch on the opposite side of the bumper, and he replied that it would be very easy--in fact, if I really wanted it, he'd do it gratis.
But he didn't recommend it, on the principle that cutting the plastic without having some sort of reinforcement would eventually result in warping from the heat of the pipe.

I see two possibilities here: the most obvious, of course, is for the customer to buy and install a GT rear bumper. Unfortunately this is likely to add substantially to the cost. It may be possible, as others have suggested, to find takeoff bumpers from aftermarket tuners such as Steeda. And in time there will be bumpers available from junkyards as well. The obvious downside is, in either of these eventualities you are buying a used product, and taking your chances in terms of quality.

The other possibility might be a simple urethane "lip" that could cover the lower part of the rear bumper, just enough to hide the existing notch and make the bumper look straight all the way across. Exhaust pipe tips would then be visible beneath the bumper, (as they are in your picture), and would look just fine. I'm sure you could find someone to produce such a lip, perhaps even prepainted in various colors, and offer it along with your system as an inexpensive option.

EDIT: Something like this:

http://www.riverwalk.netfirms.com/IMAGES/v6-exhaust.jpg

apologies to the person whose GT I "borrowed" for my little Photoshop experiment...
Old 12/18/04, 03:48 PM
GT Member

I'm with NosferatuVI on this one, the duals don't look too bad, but that cut out is still there, I think one "slightly" larger tailpipe is good enough.
Old 12/18/04, 05:46 PM
GT Member

I have to agree, the question is not to add another notch, but what to do with the exsisting one? The pipes exiting under the bumper cover look great. Just need to come up with something that can easily be retrofitted to the exsisting bumper cover to effectively "remove" the factory notch.
Old 12/18/04, 06:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
to make it look more symetric...what about having a filler piece...
or a cutout on the other side.

The one side not cut, and the other side cut is noticeable and would annoy the heck outta me.
Old 12/18/04, 06:42 PM
Rik
GT Member

Originally posted by Boomer@December 18, 2004, 7:29 PM
to make it look more symetric...what about having a filler piece...
or a cutout on the other side.

The one side not cut, and the other side cut is noticeable and would annoy the heck outta me.
Uh...is my earlier post not showing up, except on my own computer...? Maybe I made it too long, and no one wants to read the last paragraph...?

http://www.riverwalk.netfirms.com/IMAGES/v6-exhaust.jpg
Old 12/18/04, 09:10 PM
GT Member

No Rik we see it, we are just agreeing with you, in a indirect kind of way. I like the lip idea, painted body color it would kind of reflect the GT and yet be different.
Old 12/19/04, 09:07 AM
Rik
GT Member

Ah. Thanks, I was starting to get paranoid.

Having the pipes beneath a straight uncut-looking bumper also opens the possibility of more variety of tips...instead of just having two round ones, (which you're obviously limited to when using a GT bumper), you could have oval, rectangular, dual quads etc....of course, you'd have to be careful not to stray into the fields of rice... :shock:
Old 12/20/04, 05:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'd stick to just one nice looking pipe coming out the back. It's not going to look too import that way. The dual exhaust with the single cutout like that screams white trash.

Is it possible to have a pic posted of the car with the single exhaust?
Old 12/20/04, 05:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen quite a few Volvos over the years with a dual cut-out lower bumper and a filler on one side for cars without dual tips. This is a bumper cover like the GT where the cut-outs a very pronounced, so it is very noticeable. You would think that Volvo could spend the few extra bucks and have two bumper molds for these cars !!

Anyway, a filler for the V6 Mustang bumper cover would be pretty simple, but would require painting to match. And I don't see something like this becoming a high-volume item where you could eventually get it pre-painted. To me it would not be worth the effort ... the average person would probably never notice that small notch there. Especially from standing height.
Old 12/20/04, 04:23 PM
GT Member

I was just looking at my V6 this weekend and you alomst don't even see the cutout when you're standing. From the rear in a car, maybe, but it's really not that bad! There's no bulge around the opening like the GT has, which helps. I also like the idea of a small moulding or something to maybe package with the dual exhaust kit, though I for one wouldn't mind the single if the HP gains were similar.

If the magnaflow guys are still watching, what are some numbers you got with/without your systems.

Maybe you could break it down even more with HP numbers from the single you origionally designed and the dual you did later.

Maybe pics of both from underneath?

Thanks
Old 12/24/04, 11:16 AM

What are the performance increases with these duals? Please?
Is this a CAT-back or are you splitting after the axle?
What mufflers are employed here?
For looks, I prefer notching out the un-notched side (cheapest alternative) but my real passion would be to go with a "through-the-bumper" look (if I were to add any plastic) as was the case with the '65 GT's.
Old 12/24/04, 12:52 PM
GT Member

I think it looks fine as is with the single cut, it's not very pronounced and unless you're looking for it, no one would notice. Take a picture of the car from eye level from 15 ft or so away, it prolly won't be seen hardly at all. Personally if I were to do it I'd notch the other side myself. On a side note, what wheels are those.
Old 12/27/04, 09:43 PM
GT Member

What happened to the magnaflow guy?

I would love to know the HP numbers for the single and dual systems, and would like to buy one in the next month?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow V6 Exhaust System - Help us design it!