V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

MAC Duals Installed

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/05, 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been trying to decide which way to go with adding duals to my 'vert since before it was delivered last June. Finally got off the fence and made the call.

I ordered the MAC Performance catback kit from Brentspeed yesterday. The only thing holding me back, as I liked the look and design of their kit from the start was the lack of a soundclip, or feedback from anyone who's installed this kit. That empty cutout in my rear bumper finally wore me down, and I jumped in. Pics/Review to follow.
Old 9/24/05, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you may be the first around here.
Their stainless steel system does look very good. Can't wait for you to get it. Cheaper than JBA's too
Old 9/24/05, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

I had the MAC kit on my '98 and it sounded great.

At idle it sounded VERY close to a v8 but once the RPM's climed it was not quite as deep.

I have the Ford Racing (Borla) single exhaust on my '05 vert and IMO the MAC kit on my '98 sounded a LOT better.
Old 9/24/05, 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05BlackVert@September 24, 2005, 9:16 PM
I had the MAC kit on my '98 and it sounded great.

At idle it sounded VERY close to a v8 but once the RPM's climed it was not quite as deep.

I have the Ford Racing (Borla) single exhaust on my '05 vert and IMO the MAC kit on my '98 sounded a LOT better.
Yeah, it was largely the way people seemed very satisfied with MAC's systems on prior year's Mustang V6's that convinced me to give it a shot.
Old 9/24/05, 08:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think i'm gonan bite the bullet and go for the JBA true exhaust. I found out that their pipes are aluminized stainless steal, so thats not so bad.
Old 9/24/05, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I actually had the single MAC axle-back in my hands at one point. It sat there for a week and I kept visualizing that big 4" pipe under my bumper. I couldn't do it... sold it on ebay for a slight loss.

I've been very happy with my JBA's.

Doesn't matter what ya get...Duals on the 4.0L are gonna kick!
Old 9/24/05, 09:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by yur1279@September 24, 2005, 9:58 PM
I think i'm gonan bite the bullet and go for the JBA true exhaust. I found out that their pipes are aluminized stainless steal, so thats not so bad.
Are you sure about this? All of their advertising lists their exhaust products as EITHER 304 Stainless or aluminized regular steel. I've never heard of a company aluminizing a stainless part, what would be the point, as aluminizing is an anti-corrosive coating?

Unless you got that info direct from JBA (preferably in writing) I'd be a little cautious
Old 9/24/05, 09:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by P_Kiley@September 24, 2005, 9:17 PM
Are you sure about this? All of their advertising lists their exhaust products as EITHER 304 Stainless or aluminized regular steel. I've never heard of a company aluminizing a stainless part, what would be the point, as aluminizing is an anti-corrosive coating?

Unless you got that info direct from JBA (preferably in writing) I'd be a little cautious

I was searching the JBA site today and went to one of the links they list for online distro's of their products and on the description of one it stated that. I'm still gonna ask them directly though, because what you just said makes sense.
Old 9/26/05, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

The MAC kit should be here Thurs, The car should be up on the ramps Fri morning
Old 9/29/05, 09:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

The Mac set was waiting when I got home from work, looks great (I'll take some pics tomorrow during the install).

Hamid: I can see where that single huge tip put you off, as duals they should look mighty fine tho'
Old 9/30/05, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

How much is this install costing you?

Just wandering what the price range was...
Old 9/30/05, 12:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by scotts05custom@September 30, 2005, 8:05 AM
How much is this install costing you?

Just wandering what the price range was...

Got the kit from Brenspeed for $445 delivered. The actual install this morning cost me 4 hours and a couple skinned knuckles

I'm just in the house getting cleaned up, before going out to fire 'er up
Old 9/30/05, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Okay, I'm back from cruising with the new exhaust. The operation was a success imho, the tone at idle is very low, we're talking like Barry White low.... Get on it a bit and it stays low through about 3000 rpm where you pick up a very healthy sounding roar over the top. Sort of like the 390 in the Bullitt chase scene, low and rumbly at the low end, but a pronounced "WAAAA" at the high end. Not a grain of rice in sight

It's a bit louder than I'd eventually prefer, but i'm happy about that as it gives some room for them to mellow as they break in

Here's a couple shots of the back and underside before, followed by the "after" shots (I'll try to get a sound cluip in the next day or two):
Old 9/30/05, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice!

Can't wait to hear them on a clip...
Old 9/30/05, 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

A few further notes:

There was a bit of work getting a good fit. The side of the "Y" going to the left side was slightly too long (0.8") causing the over-axle pipe an interference problem with the frame. A quick trim with a reciprocating saw brought everything back into line.

The front hanger on the right muffler started causing a buzzing when the system was really hot. This was caused by the system expanding enough to just bring the hanger and it's bracket into contact. Since the muffler's position was otherwise fine, I clearenced the lip of the Ford hanger bracket about 1/8" to prevent this.

There is a bit of resonance between 2200rpm and 2400rpm on the highway, I'm not sure how that'll play on a long drive

I had a ricer pull up next to me at a light and rev this afternoon, I rev'ved back just for chuckles (no way I was really going to race through the heart of the town square during 4pm traffic) He instantly got this shocked look and suddenly remembered he had to turn right at that intersection, rather than go straight next to me as he'd been planning.
Old 10/1/05, 08:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Good to finally hear a review on this system.
the tone at idle is very low, we're talking like Barry White low.... Get on it a bit and it stays low through about 3000 rpm where you pick up a very healthy sounding roar over the top. Sort of like the 390 in the Bullitt chase scene, low and rumbly at the low end, but a pronounced "WAAAA" at the high end. Not a grain of rice in sight

It's a bit louder than I'd eventually prefer, but i'm happy about that as it gives some room for them to mellow as they break in
This alone makes me
I think I may ultimately get this system as well later on. Those 4" tips don't look as bad as I thought. I actually like it, it looks like it means business.
I can only imagine with their headers, how it would sound. :worship:
Old 10/2/05, 01:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's a sound clip, it's not great, but it's the best I could do today with the equipment on hand. The popping/crackling heard in the clip does NOT happen at all, except right after the car is started, before it settles down to normal idle speed (worked that out after doing the clip)

MAC Duals Clip (start/idle)
Old 10/2/05, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm.. Id like to hear the car under load. They dont sound bad, but they're too high and gritty for my own tastes. Maybe you can get us another cliip with the popping cut out?
Old 10/2/05, 04:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Zodiac@October 2, 2005, 4:05 PM
Hmm.. Id like to hear the car under load. They dont sound bad, but they're too high and gritty for my own tastes. Maybe you can get us another cliip with the popping cut out?

I am going to try to get another clip under load. I think the recording equipment I have available may be an issue though, they sound different and MUCH better "live" than the last clip.
Old 10/2/05, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's pretty obvious that the equipment doesn't justify it. The garbly sound seems out of place. The idle, which was somewhat clear, sounded nice.
btw how close was the recorder, it sounds what you get when you speak to close to a mic, kinda muffled and distorted.
If you concentrate hard enough you can kinda imagine how well it would sound when you revved

Quick Reply: MAC Duals Installed