V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Long Overdue: Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/05, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I promised this on Monday, but had to have other work done to the car and ran out of time for a dyno session. So today, I met with Excepcion13 at Excessive in the morning to see how his ride was coming along and squeeze in a dyno before work.

I have to say, Excepcion’s WB stang with black racing strips and the pony package looked absolutely sweet!!! I can’t wait for him to post his numbers with his manual, truetrac, MMR CAI, 3.73 gears, girdle and panhard relocation bracket. I’m expecting higher numbers than me from him!

I was pleased with the results, and they have fuelled my burning desire to mod my care even more. Here is what I got with my current list of mods:

• Max Power: 193 RWHP
• Max Torque: 207.1
• Dyno Sheet: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/rygenstormlocke

Keep in mind my car is an Auto, but for the mods I have I am actually quite pleased with the run. Another customer had a 96 GT I think, and she swore before the dyno her car would be faster. I just smiled and said, it's just a 6 and we'll see. Everyone there was surprised by the numbers the car put out, even the main mechanic who wasn't that keen on the 4.0 when I first spoke with him. When 193 came up on the screen, she was like no way, then she goes, my car is still faster. And the guy who runs the register/inventory for the shop was like, no…his is a faster car, trust me. Your numbers are not there. Larry was like, that is pretty darn good…and it’s a V6. Ask Excepcion, I was grinning ear to ear.

So next will be a girdle, panhard relocation bracket, and some sort of major power adder. Oh and a SCT w/professional tune.
Old 12/9/05, 12:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice numbers.
Old 12/9/05, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@December 9, 2005, 2:21 PM
Nice numbers.

Thanks, and I'm just getting started.
Old 12/9/05, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Very impressive! I wonder how much your exhaust helped? I'm thinking of going with that.
Old 12/9/05, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@December 9, 2005, 2:42 PM
Very impressive! I wonder how much your exhaust helped? I'm thinking of going with that.

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing. I also know my AFE CAI is dyno proven with no tune at 12HP. I read that my Magnaflow kit is rated somewhere between 10-12 HP gain.
Old 12/9/05, 01:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice numbers indeed! You're link to the dyno sheet appears to be broke though...
Old 12/9/05, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by scrming@December 9, 2005, 3:18 PM
very nice numbers indeed! You're link to the dyno sheet appears to be broke though...

Thanks. Try it now, and then browse to it. I am starting my stang web site up over the weekend, and will put all my pics and info there once I'm done.
Old 12/9/05, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 9, 2005, 3:22 PM
Thanks. Try it now, and then browse to it. I am starting my stang web site up over the weekend, and will put all my pics and info there once I'm done.
That worked.... Ok.. now for a couple of things.. now don't shoot me here... but...

1) Your torque looks really bad. Your torque should be above 200 by 2000 RPM... your's seems kind of funky until 3700 RPM... ok.. my guess is it's the torque managment and the Predator... So an X-Cal2 will fix that right up! LOL! Man, you should feel a difference when you switch to SCT... LOL!

2) Notice those bumps at 5700 RPM... well.. that's the torque converter locking up and causing basically an artificial spike... this causes the peak number to be a little higher than it should be... I remember the first dyno run I had... It had those exact bumps! Then I showed it to Lidio and he explained the spike... and that it causes the peak to be artificially high.. burst my bubble! LOL! If you look at my sheets now you'll see they are smooth because we lock the torque converter early so there is no spike later in the run... which I guess you could argue inflates the number too... LOL! Just wanted to explain the "bump" at the end to you... I know when I had my first dyno the guy had no idea what the "bump" was... he just said "hey, i just run the thing" LOL!
Old 12/9/05, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by scrming@December 9, 2005, 3:46 PM
That worked.... Ok.. now for a couple of things.. now don't shoot me here... but...

1) Your torque looks really bad. Your torque should be above 200 by 2000 RPM... your's seems kind of funky until 3700 RPM... ok.. my guess is it's the torque managment and the Predator... So an X-Cal2 will fix that right up! LOL! Man, you should feel a difference when you switch to SCT... LOL!

2) Notice those bumps at 5700 RPM... well.. that's the torque converter locking up and causing basically an artificial spike... this causes the peak number to be a little higher than it should be... I remember the first dyno run I had... It had those exact bumps! Then I showed it to Lidio and he explained the spike... and that it causes the peak to be artificially high.. burst my bubble! LOL! If you look at my sheets now you'll see they are smooth because we lock the torque converter early so there is no spike later in the run... which I guess you could argue inflates the number too... LOL! Just wanted to explain the "bump" at the end to you... I know when I had my first dyno the guy had no idea what the "bump" was... he just said "hey, i just run the thing" LOL!
Thanks man, no I won't shoot you, all input is appreciated. Ok, on the TQ, I expected more of a gain, but on my Pred I am only running the vanilla performance tune it comes with...sooo, hopefully I will see an improvement with the SCT.

Thanks for explaining the bump, I did compare my dyno with yours and was going to inquire on this. Next wednesday I go back for an SCT and professional tune, I will post again later that night.

Oh, and now I am wondering if I should try to squeze in the UD pulley before next wednesday as well. They seem like a solid upgrade.
Old 12/9/05, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 9, 2005, 3:57 PM
Thanks man, no I won't shoot you, all input is appreciated. Ok, on the TQ, I expected more of a gain, but on my Pred I am only running the vanilla performance tune it comes with...sooo, hopefully I will see an improvement with the SCT.

Thanks for explaining the bump, I did compare my dyno with yours and was going to inquire on this. Next wednesday I got back for an SCT and professional tune, I will post again later that night.

Oh, and now I am wondering if I should try to squeze in the UD pulley before next wednesday as well. They seem like a solid upgrade.

Will be interesting to see what happens to your torque... If you look in the GT forum I've see a few guys with autos switch from Predator to SCT... I got to believe you will see a noticable improvement!

You won't be able to get your hands on the crank pulley yet... I'm thinking I'll do this one eventually... may wait until spring.. (yeah, me? right! LOL!) The alternator pulley did give a good 3 to 5 RWHP... but don't know if it's worth $159 + shipping... don't know if you would get in in time for Wednesday... (You would have to call Paul's to find out.. )

And the Cold War escalation continues!!!! LOL! (oh... I'm taking next Tuesday off from work... guess where I'm going... LOL!)
Old 12/9/05, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by scrming@December 9, 2005, 4:06 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens to your torque... If you look in the GT forum I've see a few guys with autos switch from Predator to SCT... I got to believe you will see a noticable improvement!

You won't be able to get your hands on the crank pulley yet... I'm thinking I'll do this one eventually... may wait until spring.. (yeah, me? right! LOL!) The alternator pulley did give a good 3 to 5 RWHP... but don't know if it's worth $159 + shipping... don't know if you would get in in time for Wednesday... (You would have to call Paul's to find out.. )
And the Cold War escalation continues!!!! LOL! (oh... I'm taking next Tuesday off from work... guess where I'm going... LOL!)

Ah, I see I'm not the only one who takes vacation time to spend a day at the shop. So be it!!!! I may have to accelerate my plans to catch up with you. Now I'm just itching to find something to purchase in time for next wednesday......hmmmmmmm.........we will have ot just wait and see.
Old 12/9/05, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Rygn

Long over due Congrats 193 RWHP you andStangman both at 193 RWHP but he didn't post the TQ, So now you have baseline now any changes/mods you will see the effect in your next dyno.
Old 12/9/05, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

ok... something else I just noticed looking at your sheet... it says "STD Horsepower"... where as mine is "SAE Horsepower".... When you go back on Wednesday can you ask them if your numbers are "SAE corrected"?
Old 12/9/05, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by scrming@December 9, 2005, 9:28 PM
ok... something else I just noticed looking at your sheet... it says "STD Horsepower"... where as mine is "SAE Horsepower".... When you go back on Wednesday can you ask them if your numbers are "SAE corrected"?

Will do! Thanks for your help on the TQ information, I'll keep you posted.
Old 12/9/05, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 9, 2005, 9:30 PM
Will do! Thanks for your help on the TQ information, I'll keep you posted.
no problem... will be very interested to see what you have to say Wednesday night! LOL!
Old 12/10/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scrming@December 9, 2005, 10:34 PM
no problem... will be very interested to see what you have to say Wednesday night! LOL!
His numbers will be much better when Chris tunes him with the SCT. Chris basically just dyno'd him with his existing Predator set-up. I am confident that Todd's numbers will look much better Wednesday. I am curious to see what will happen to mine with the 93 tune. Seriously, I was amazed at how the torque just shot straight up!! The angle is like 89 degrees!! It stayed constant through about 4,000 RPMs, and didn't drop below 200 until 4500. Stick shift, though.

Oh, I was bragging on your car at Stangnet. Man, your numbers are awesome! You make us all proud! 384 RWTQ is simply amazing! :worship:
Old 12/10/05, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Excepcion13@December 10, 2005, 11:00 AM
His numbers will be much better when Chris tunes him with the SCT. Chris basically just dyno'd him with his existing Predator set-up. I am confident that Todd's numbers will look much better Wednesday. I am curious to see what will happen to mine with the 93 tune. Seriously, I was amazed at how the torque just shot straight up!! The angle is like 89 degrees!! It stayed constant through about 4,000 RPMs, and didn't drop below 200 until 4500. Stick shift, though.

Oh, I was bragging on your car at Stangnet. Man, your numbers are awesome! You make us all proud! 384 RWTQ is simply amazing! :worship:
Yeah, it's amazing how long and flat our torque curves are! Lidio was pretty much shocked by it.. He couldn't believe just how torquey the 4.0 is with a CAI and muffler...
Old 12/10/05, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scrming@December 10, 2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how long and flat our torque curves are! Lidio was pretty much shocked by it.. He couldn't believe just how torquey the 4.0 is with a CAI and muffler...
They guys at the shop were pretty impressed with the quality of the MMR. They had to fab me a hanger so that it didn't bounce around, and they also fabbed the hose to the stock one so that it dodn't look ghetto, but they thought the tube was a good weld and that the filter was nice.

I haven't even gone dual, yet, just the JBA muffler. Not sure how far I am going to take all of this. I like the results you have gotten with the Zex, and will probably go that route. Just can't justify a SC. But we will see....
Old 12/10/05, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Excepcion13@December 10, 2005, 1:22 PM
They guys at the shop were pretty impressed with the quality of the MMR. They had to fab me a hanger so that it didn't bounce around, and they also fabbed the hose to the stock one so that it dodn't look ghetto, but they thought the tube was a good weld and that the filter was nice.

I haven't even gone dual, yet, just the JBA muffler. Not sure how far I am going to take all of this. I like the results you have gotten with the Zex, and will probably go that route. Just can't justify a SC. But we will see....

Interesting! I spoke with Excessive this morning about reccomended Nitrous applicaitons. They are not bound to a specific brand, they will pretty much install any kit you want them to. I also found out that they are the most reasonable on labor, $300 labor to install a base N2O kit. For this area, that is $200 cheaper than any other shop. I've been researching this for a while, and I'm really leaning towards a N20/Turbo setup in the long run. But I will wait and see how SC/TC install goes for others before I am all finalized.

So, to purchase/install yourself, you are looking at $600 bucks range, and if you want to pay Excessive to do it with a tune $900. Not bad for 100HP and will keep you out of trouble. Unless of course you buy a remote bottle openner.

Excepcion13, I am really curious to see what you put down with a Excessive tune and 100HP shot?!?!?!? I'm willing to bet you will hit 265-270 RWHP. That would be sweet, but don't listen to me....I'm aleady infected with the disease. LOL.

As for dual vs. single performance numbers, I'm still on the fence on this one because I havent seen dynos yet to prove either or for the 4.0. The only thing I am hoping for is with my maganaflow kit, my muffs are straight through design and I am hoping that will give me a few more Hp on Wednesday.
Old 12/10/05, 12:10 PM

I have the Steeda CAI, SCT-2 and JBA duals with the Y-pipe. My 'Stang is a manual. I've been wanting to get a dyno run with my 'Stang to see how much power it's making with these mods. How much does Excessive charge?

Quick Reply: Long Overdue: Dyno Results