V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

LCAs in, but....

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/06, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCAs in, but....

First off, I'd like to say that this was probably the best hundred bucks I've spent on the car to date. The difference is incredible! The car doesn't lurch or rock like it did when I launched hard in the past. It just goes. Amazing.

The only problem is at slow speeds, I now hear a little knocking in the back. It's only when I'm decellerating, and it's mostly in the 25 to 0 mph area. At first, I thought it was the duals hitting the axle, but that's a completely different sound.

The only thing that I didn't do according to the instructions was the torque spec. I didn't have a torque wrench, so I just tightened the **** out of them. I've been a mechanic for a long time, so I'm usually pretty good at "guestimating" what a certain torque rating is. I could go back and retorque the bolts, but I don't think that will help.

Any ideas?
Old 8/23/06, 09:31 AM
GT Member

I've got the same thing

The factory torque specs are 129 ft. lbs. So, even w/ a torque wrench or a breaker bar, to get to 129 ft. lbs, you need to tug and tug hard. It sounds like you probably are not off the factory spec. The ones I installed where the fixed-length Steeda Crome Moly LCA's -- Steeda P/N 555-4422. It does not bother me that much. I may @ a later date try Steeda P/N 555-4416 -- the ADJUSTABLE LENGTH LCA's. Perhaps if we dial-in the length we could get the clunking noise abated.
Old 8/23/06, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

So you torqued it to spec, and you still get the clunking? If so, do you have any idea what is causing it? They should be the same length as the stock arms...

Is this a common thing?

You're right, 129 ft/lbs is a lot. I basically put my foot on the axle and put as much *** on it as I could. I considered using locktite as well, but it's not really necessary with those bolts.

I'll go back with a torque wrench and make sure it's tight enough if you think that's it, but again.... I really doubt it. Like I said, I've been working on cars all my life. I know there are factory torque specs and all, but those things are on tight enough.... trust me.
Old 8/23/06, 02:33 PM
GT Member

We both run Detroit TT LSD, tho

I'm not sure. You and I have another thing in common (yea, I know, I need to add a signature so everybody sees my mods!) we both run the Detroit TT LSD. I do hear the 'clicking' on decel to a stop we are talking about, but also the soft 'thunk' of the truetrac when coming to a stop as well. The 'truetrac shuffle' sound has been detailed @ length in the V6 forums before so I won't digress.

Neither the 'clicking' nor 'truetrac thunk' are a common thing. They happen intermittantly.

I'm wondering if you might have installed your LCA's BEFORE you did the axle work w/ the LSD. Did you hear the 'clicking' with a stock axle or only after the TT was installed?

I can't answer this question because I did the TT first before the LCA's. My install team very quickly put the LCA's in after that. The TT was giving me so much traction the dashboard interior on the car would shake fiercely on a hard launch because the traction control was kicking in so hard!!! After LCA's, UCA and other common suspension mods (swaybars, springs, shocks, struts, etc.) the car launches quick and clean!
Old 8/23/06, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by esorense
I'm wondering if you might have installed your LCA's BEFORE you did the axle work w/ the LSD. Did you hear the 'clicking' with a stock axle or only after the TT was installed?
I did the TT install months ago. Right before I put in the blower. I never heard a peep out of the rear until now. Well, once in a blue moon, if I had my windows up and radio off, I could hear a slight 'click' as the gears engage during a turn. Nothing like this, though.

I'm wondering if the sound was always there, but I just couldn't hear it because of the rubber bushings on the stock LCAs.