V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/07, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?

Hi guys (and gals),
I am going to take my 2005 V6 to the dealer this weekend to get it serviced. I am thinking to replace the stock air filter with this: http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

Does anyone have this in their car? Can you notice a difference in sound / performance?

Your comments are highly appreciated!

Ben.
Old 1/9/07, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat of the pants.....I think it helped a little with my 5spd. manual. It seemed to have slightly better throttle response, but do not expect much! After I did my Magnaflow muffler, the sound was NICE!!

More air intake and a free flowing exhaust is always a good combo!

Good Luck, Joe
Old 1/10/07, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
Seat of the pants.....I think it helped a little with my 5spd. manual. It seemed to have slightly better throttle response, but do not expect much! After I did my Magnaflow muffler, the sound was NICE!!

More air intake and a free flowing exhaust is always a good combo!

Good Luck, Joe
+1 I have the same setup and it certainly does make a difference. Highly recommended!
Old 1/10/07, 08:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one also and have had one on every car I've owned

EDIT: also forgot to mention that I use K&N's oil filters as well
Old 1/10/07, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hhbh720
Hi guys (and gals),
I am going to take my 2005 V6 to the dealer this weekend to get it serviced. I am thinking to replace the stock air filter with this: http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

Does anyone have this in their car? Can you notice a difference in sound / performance?

Your comments are highly appreciated!

Ben.
I do But I also have the CAI K&N as well both are superb !
And because I was so Happy K&N were so nice that they sent us each one of these !
Attached Thumbnails K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-k-n-hat-002.jpg   K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-k-n.jpg  
Old 1/10/07, 09:56 PM
GT Member

I have had one in both my s197's It does make a bit of a difference performance wise that is in a auto.
Old 1/10/07, 11:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kh765
+1 I have the same setup and it certainly does make a difference. Highly recommended!
Is that the single or dual exhaust? What would be the total damage for that setup (less the CAI)? Did you guys change the exhaust yourself?

Sorry that I just seem to randomly drop questions, but the only thing I'd consider myself capable of would be washing my car and checking the oil level...
Old 1/29/07, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update

Just wanted to give a short update... Service guy said he also had only the replacement filter in his S197 V6 and it didn't make a difference by itself. A friend of mine who just bought a '07 V6 is checking with a local muffler shop who will custom-weld pipes to make a second V6-exhaust fit on the left side - including the muffler and install only for around 200 bucks !

I'll let you know how that will develop and keep you updated (if you want)...

What do you guys think, will a second exhaust together with the replacement filter make a difference?
Old 1/29/07, 08:59 PM
V6 Member

I've used K&N Filters on every car / truck I've owned for (more than 2) decades. Some vehicles take to them better than others, bit I feel it's definately worth it in that a) you always gain some performance and b) you never have to buy a filter again. Keep your old filter to put in the car while you are washing / drying / oiling your K&N.

Hope this helps.

Mike

PS, IMO on a V6, the single exhaust with a good quality (Magnaflow, Flowmaster) muffler will get you just as much bennifit as a dual exhaust, unless you need 2 pipes out the back.
Old 1/31/07, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a stock replacement K&N and it is great. Besides, if not for just performance, the fact that it is a better quality filter and is better for your car makes it worth it!!! I'm about to get one for my Impala. Getting K&N oil Filters for the Stang and Impala too.
Old 1/31/07, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor

You guys should try green filter. Most any auto shops can get them who can get K&N (at least speed shops anyway). They're made MUCH NICER than the K&N. The filter covers more of the panel, and less rubber. The mesh is STAINLESS STEEL no aluminum. They're SOOO much nicer, and same cleaning procedure and I think a lifetime warranty.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/
Old 1/31/07, 10:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05blackV6
I have a stock replacement K&N and it is great. Besides, if not for just performance, the fact that it is a better quality filter and is better for your car makes it worth it!!! I'm about to get one for my Impala. Getting K&N oil Filters for the Stang and Impala too.
Not to dog on K&N, but just so you are aware...the high flow filters like K&N do flow more air through them but at an expense of less filtration. The smaller particles of dirt/dust make it through them, where the stock panel filter will catch them. That means more grit in the engine oil, and more wear on the internal parts. Granted, it is not that big of an issue with today's oil and filter technology, but something to be aware of, especially with today's longer oil change intervals.
Old 2/1/07, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is true.............Technically! But I used the the K&N anyway!
Old 2/3/07, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update

A buddy of mine who just recently bought an 07 V6 Pony Package took his car to a local muffler shop today. They custom-welded a second pipe directly to the Y-pipe and used a second V6-exhaust. Since he paid only 200 (including second exhaust, chrome tips and install) I think I might me going that way too... I attached some pictures of the install and the final product. I really like it, but would have taken bigger exhaust tips.
Attached Thumbnails K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-2.jpg   K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-3.jpg   K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-4.jpg   K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-5.jpg   K&N High Performance Stock Replacement Filter ?-6.jpg  

Old 2/3/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Is that the single or dual exhaust? What would be the total damage for that setup (less the CAI)? Did you guys change the exhaust yourself?

Sorry that I just seem to randomly drop questions, but the only thing I'd consider myself capable of would be washing my car and checking the oil level...
Hey, sorry I haven't checked this thread in forever! I have a single Magnaflow and the K&N filter. The total cost was about $300. I paid $260 for the muffler on ebay and about $40 for the filter. My buddy and I installed it ourselves. It took a while, but we got it done. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 2/4/07, 09:25 AM

Wow, thats a really clean install, and cost effective.

A buddy of mine who just recently bought an 07 V6 Pony Package took his car to a local muffler shop today. They custom-welded a second pipe directly to the Y-pipe and used a second V6-exhaust. Since he paid only 200 (including second exhaust, chrome tips and install) I think I might me going that way too... I attached some pictures of the install and the final product. I really like it, but would have taken bigger exhaust tips.
Old 2/7/07, 08:17 PM

I went with the k&n filter also then welded up my own dual exhaust and used some muflers form a 06 mustang gt that my boss gave me. it sounds pretty nice. and it's not so lound that it's annoying. been thinking about switching to a cold air intake to see what happens. though.
Old 2/8/07, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by iceman320
I went with the k&n filter also then welded up my own dual exhaust and used some muflers form a 06 mustang gt that my boss gave me. it sounds pretty nice. and it's not so lound that it's annoying. been thinking about switching to a cold air intake to see what happens. though.
I think I might do the same thing, gotta go to the shop on Saturday to get a quote for the install using GT mufflers... Will it be sufficient to only cut the bumper on the driver's side or is there more cutting on the passenger side required to make the GT exhaust fit? Pictures?