Old 11/12/05, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which has worse inside drone JAB or MAC duals
Old 11/12/05, 06:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cosmo@November 12, 2005, 5:56 AM
Which has worse inside drone JAB or MAC duals
I had the Mac V6 duals installed for about a month and a half. The level of drone between 2200-2600 RPM was unbearable (impossible to carry on a normal conversation, or listen to the radio on the highway). Switched to GT takeoffs on the MAC pipes, and everything is fine, so it was definitely the MAC mufflers causing the droning. Calling MAC for assistance was also pointless ("tech support" was a kid who didn't even know how their kit was configured, or what it included, and clearly didn't care about the problem)

NOT recommended :notnice:
Old 11/12/05, 08:33 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by P_Kiley@November 12, 2005, 6:01 AM
I had the Mac V6 duals installed for about a month and a half. The level of drone between 2200-2600 RPM was unbearable (impossible to carry on a normal conversation, or listen to the radio on the highway). Switched to GT takeoffs on the MAC pipes, and everything is fine, so it was definitely the MAC mufflers causing the droning. Calling MAC for assistance was also pointless ("tech support" was a kid who didn't even know how their kit was configured, or what it included, and clearly didn't care about the problem)

NOT recommended :notnice:

LOL!! Thats a really bad review.. This is coming from a guy, who has never argued with anyone.. So I would totally believe his input..

MAC really needs to resovle this ASAP..

Now, a drone can be appreciated by some people.. Depending on the frequency of it.. A nice deep drone, could perhaps sell thousands of Mustangs.. Basically, a Drone is a situation where the cockpit of the car itself is filled with a deep noise and vibration?

Some people may like this, but over time, it could get quite old... I myself am running the Magna-Flow 15" resonators, with no mufflers.. I love'm.. After about 1 month, they sound better than the series 40 mufflers, and believe it or not, I have a low end which kicks in as soon as I mash the gas, without hesitation..
Old 11/12/05, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mac's phone support is sleepy, at best... at least, in my experience. It lead to my cancelling my order with them. From what many have said, when you stomp on it, it gets very high pitched. For me, it was a toss up between jba's and magnaflows. I think I would have been very pleased with the magnaflows, but when the time came to order, my gut said to go with jba's, since I already had their headers. There customer support over the phone is excellent and enthusiastic... again, in my experience. Oh yeah... and they sound great!
Old 11/12/05, 01:37 PM
GT Member

Question

Although they do not offer a V6-specific dual kit, the folks @ Borla go to great lengths to tune their exhaust. They are designed to cancel out drone and 'high frequency' harmonics. I take this as Borla intentionally takes the ricey sounds out of the 'Stang exhaust. The Borla single V6 axle-back is claimed to raise CFM throughput by 40% over the CFM throughput of the factory stock muffler on the V6. IMHO I'd spend money on just this axle-back and then get a decent CAI & tune instead of spending $$$ on duals as the performance increase w/ duals won't exceed these gains by much. You'd have the look and likely a sharper sound / crisper sound with more "bark" with duals
but not much more in the way of actual power-to-pavement performance. Borla has the least annoying 'drone' of all the aftermarket exhausts ive auditioned out there.
Old 11/12/05, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MSP+November 12, 2005, 10:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ November 12, 2005, 10:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>LOL!! Thats a really bad review.. This is coming from a guy, who has never argued with anyone.. So I would totally believe his input..
[/b]

Are you implying I'm not talking enough smack around here?

Originally posted by MSP@November 12, 2005, 10:36 AM
MAC really needs to resovle this ASAP..
Too true :notnice:

Originally posted by MSP@November 12, 2005, 10:36 AM
Now, a drone can be appreciated by some people.. Depending on the frequency of it.. A nice deep drone, could perhaps sell thousands of Mustangs.. Basically, a Drone is a situation where the cockpit of the car itself is filled with a deep noise and vibration?
I actually like a somewhat aggressive exhaust. The MAC setup goes straight to abusive on the highway though. Anyone likely to enjoy this probably would have fun sitting inside a steel drum while it's outside is being sandblasted...

<!--QuoteBegin-MSP
@November 12, 2005, 10:36 AM
Some people may like this, but over time, it could get quite old... I myself am running the Magna-Flow 15" resonators, with no mufflers.. I love'm.. After about 1 month, they sound better than the series 40 mufflers, and believe it or not, I have a low end which kicks in as soon as I mash the gas, without hesitation..
[/quote]

Sounds like an interesting setup
Old 11/12/05, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by esorense@November 12, 2005, 12:40 PM
Although they do not offer a V6-specific dual kit, the folks @ Borla go to great lengths to tune their exhaust. They are designed to cancel out drone and 'high frequency' harmonics. I take this as Borla intentionally takes the ricey sounds out of the 'Stang exhaust. The Borla single V6 axle-back is claimed to raise CFM throughput by 40% over the CFM throughput of the factory stock muffler on the V6. IMHO I'd spend money on just this axle-back and then get a decent CAI & tune instead of spending $$$ on duals as the performance increase w/ duals won't exceed these gains by much. You'd have the look and likely a sharper sound / crisper sound with more "bark" with duals
but not much more in the way of actual power-to-pavement performance. Borla has the least annoying 'drone' of all the aftermarket exhausts ive auditioned out there.
If I had stuck with a single, I would have gone with the Ford Racing axle-back (by Borla). The clips I've heard sound great!
Old 11/12/05, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey MSP, Id like to point out I have the Magnaflow resonators as well. I put them in for concerns of backpressure, but they really help the tone a lot in the car. I think you and I are the only ones who've used them so far, and I think we have the best sounding set ups. (That Ive heard atleast.) Maybe we're onto something?
Old 11/13/05, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by P_Kiley@November 12, 2005, 7:55 PM
Sounds like an interesting setup

Ask him for a sound clip, I listened to it several months ago and it was probably the best V6 exhaust I have heard to date.
Old 11/13/05, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'd love to hear this as well, anywhere we can find this MSP?
Old 11/13/05, 12:55 PM
MSP
Banned

I have not made a current one, with the 15" resonators yet.. I just have my old one with the series 40 flowmasters..

I'll try and make a new one soon!

I can email you my old sound clip if you pm me your email address..

Give me some time for new one though.. My 8 month old son has got my hands full, and his momma has the flu right now..
Old 11/13/05, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Im putting on a MAC GT x-pipe, left side GT mid-pipe, and GT takeoffs. Im hoping to Procharge next spring, so I want true duals and as quite as possible without giving up hp.
Old 11/13/05, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mac duals sould like fart can rice to me. Id never even consider them. Id run the duals and mid pipe w/ no mufflers before buying and using them. Atleast it'd sound like a real mustang then.