V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installed! Gears and TLOK

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/05, 07:50 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scrming@November 17, 2005, 6:42 PM
now wait until you do that on a hard turn and BOTH wheels grab and shoot you around the corner! LOL!

Good one Scrming.. In my car now, I must be real carefull accelerating on a corner.. If you punch it too hard, it may shoot out from under you..

I have no idea why these cars did not come with the 7.5 T-LOK stock.. It doesnt make any sense.. But I guess its apart of the V6 package..
Old 11/17/05, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@November 17, 2005, 9:53 PM
Good one Scrming.. In my car now, I must be real carefull accelerating on a corner.. If you punch it too hard, it may shoot out from under you..

I have no idea why these cars did not come with the 7.5 T-LOK stock.. It doesnt make any sense.. But I guess its apart of the V6 package..

I was asking myself the same thing, the could have put a T-LOK in for little cost. One of those annoying things I guess.
Old 11/17/05, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

ok, so correct me if i'm wrong, the T-lok will take away that feelign I get that my raer end wnats to swing out and sharp turns(especially when the road is damp)?

Also if you don;'t mind you asking, what did the install cost approx?
Old 11/17/05, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by yur1279@November 17, 2005, 10:12 PM
ok, so correct me if i'm wrong, the T-lok will take away that feelign I get that my raer end wnats to swing out and sharp turns(especially when the road is damp)?

Also if you don;'t mind you asking, what did the install cost approx?

I'm not as technical as some here, but before when I punch it, I could feel one side of the car push more than the other, and if I was cutting a tight turn I could really feel the car pull outwards. I can now feel a difference in a more eveness of the launch. It won't comphensate for not having a rear sway bar, but I can feel the difference.

cost to install was 275.
Old 11/17/05, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Todd, you just put a BSG on my face and its not even my car. Ive had 4.10s and T-lok sitting under my bed since July and I just cant get the money to have them installed. I still have to get an SCT before I can do it just to retune for the gears.

My girlfriend is going to hate you with it being this close to Christmas, do you know that?
Old 11/18/05, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 17, 2005, 11:00 PM
Todd, you just put a BSG on my face and its not even my car. Ive had 4.10s and T-lok sitting under my bed since July and I just cant get the money to have them installed. I still have to get an SCT before I can do it just to retune for the gears.

My girlfriend is going to hate you with it being this close to Christmas, do you know that?

Have her talk to my wife, she isn't happy either. LOL.
Old 11/18/05, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 18, 2005, 8:02 AM
Have her talk to my wife, she isn't happy either. LOL.

well,my wife refers to my car as "The Mistress" if that gives you any idea how she feels about my car... LOL
Old 11/18/05, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by MSP@November 17, 2005, 9:53 PM

Last night I could feel the difference going around a corner, this morning I came hard around the corner and the difference is definitely there.
Old 11/18/05, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 18, 2005, 12:40 PM
Last night I could feel the difference going around a corner, this morning I came hard around the corner and the difference is definitely there.
I still hate you, but atleast Im going to be getting an SCT tomorrow. One step closer to the gears & tlok!
Old 11/18/05, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 18, 2005, 3:49 PM
I still hate you, but atleast Im going to be getting an SCT tomorrow. One step closer to the gears & tlok!

LOL. I can handle that!!! He heh heh eh. Hey, she should hate Scrming too, he dedicated a web site to his!!!! Though I have been giving it a lot of thought lately.
Old 11/18/05, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 18, 2005, 3:51 PM
LOL. I can handle that!!! He heh heh eh. Hey, she should hate Scrming too, he dedicated a web site to his!!!! Though I have been giving it a lot of thought lately.
OMG! I got in soooo much trouble with my Mom! She goes to our website expecting to see some new pics of her granddaughter... and what does she find??? a whole new page just for my car! My Mom read me the riot act!!! LOL So I had to hurry up and put up some new pics of my daughter! LOL!
Old 11/18/05, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by scrming@November 18, 2005, 4:05 PM
OMG! I got in soooo much trouble with my Mom! She goes to our website expecting to see some new pics of her granddaughter... and what does she find??? a whole new page just for my car! My Mom read me the riot act!!! LOL So I had to hurry up and put up some new pics of my daughter! LOL!

I got the same riot act when we got our dog. I took a ton of pics of him and put it up on the site, then the in laws call me screaming bloody murder cause no kids were on it. LOL.
Old 11/18/05, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by scrming+November 18, 2005, 4:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ November 18, 2005, 4:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>OMG! I got in soooo much trouble with my Mom! She goes to our website expecting to see some new pics of her granddaughter... and what does she find??? a whole new page just for my car! My Mom read me the riot act!!! LOL So I had to hurry up and put up some new pics of my daughter! LOL!
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-rygenstormlocke
@November 18, 2005, 4:32 PM
I got the same riot act when we got our dog. I took a ton of pics of him and put it up on the site, then the in laws call me screaming bloody murder cause no kids were on it. LOL.
[/quote]

Lets see the kids run a 1/4 mile in 13 seconds or less and then we can talk about some pictures, right? hehehe
Old 11/18/05, 07:46 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Zodiac@November 18, 2005, 5:37 PM
Lets see the kids run a 1/4 mile in 13 seconds or less and then we can talk about some pictures, right? hehehe

LOL!! Thats a good one.. I was thinking more along the lines that little "Lady Yellow" is only a year old! She deserves to be front and center on the webpage.. She is already running.. she outright skipped walking! She's won beauty pagents and everything.. You tell mom's to call me Scrming, if she doesnt think Little "Lady Yellow" shouldnt be on the front page of the website! LOL!!
Old 11/19/05, 10:23 AM

Just some new information, I am at around 2000 RPM at 60, around 2300 RPM 70. This is good because my drone is at 2500 RPM, so the car is actually quieter when curising around on the hwy.
Old 11/19/05, 10:42 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 17, 2005, 7:27 PM
Went to the shop today to get my gears installed along with my FR TLOK. I have to take it easy for 500 miles while I wait for them to break in. But I can already feel the car pull more off the line. Once I hit 500 miles, I will get it re-oiled, probably add some shims and then give it a hard launch and see how it takes off.

More to come on this one!
Just to make sure I understand the action of the TLOC from Ford --

1. Does it work the same basic way as the Detroit TrueTrac -- just $200 less?
a. Does the TLOC like the detroit stay 'open' under normal driving conditions?
b. The TLOC only 'locks' the rear-wheels under slippage & hard wheel-speening acceleration.
2. Any pros/cons to NOT spending the extra $200 on the Detroit TrueTrac axle for those of us V6 guys who run mild-tunes(no heavy HP upgrades)? Why is the Detroit so much more money than the FR TLOC?
Old 11/19/05, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by esorense@November 19, 2005, 12:45 PM
Just to make sure I understand the action of the TLOC from Ford --
1. Does it work the same basic way as the Detroit TrueTrac -- just $200 less?
a. Does the TLOC like the detroit stay 'open' under normal driving conditions?
b. The TLOC only 'locks' the rear-wheels under slippage & hard wheel-speening acceleration.
2. Any pros/cons to NOT spending the extra $200 on the Detroit TrueTrac axle for those of us V6 guys who run mild-tunes(no heavy HP upgrades)? Why is the Detroit so much more money than the FR TLOC?
1. They are different, the layout of the spider gears is different in the TLOK. TruTrac dosent use spider gears to my knowledge, I forget what its called but when you crack the two open, you can see why the TruTrac is stronger.

a. To my knowledge, the TLOC is always on! But I could be wrong on this.

If you only doing mild mods, then save the money and go with the FRTLOC. The Detroit unit is designed for some major power, most guess it could handle 400RWHP. It is much stronger than the FR part. But even at 300RWHP, the FR part is just fine. The Detroit unit is more because it is stronger and designed to handle more power.

I'm sure MSP, Scrming, Zodiac or Jimp can provide some more technical detail here.
Old 11/19/05, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by scrming@November 17, 2005, 9:44 PM
basically I think they want to make sure the gears mesh/seat together properly... Also don't want to over heat them right away by towing something... LOL

LOL, yea....I forgot to tell you guys, I have a hitch on my stang and hauled a boat with it.

Old 11/19/05, 11:39 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 19, 2005, 9:54 AM
1. They are different, the layout of the spider gears is different in the TLOK. TruTrac dosent use spider gears to my knowledge, I forget what its called but when you crack the two open, you can see why the TruTrac is stronger.

a. To my knowledge, the TLOC is always on! But I could be wrong on this.

If you only doing mild mods, then save the money and go with the FRTLOC. The Detroit unit is designed for some major power, most guess it could handle 400RWHP. It is much stronger than the FR part. But even at 300RWHP, the FR part is just fine. The Detroit unit is more because it is stronger and designed to handle more power.

I'm sure MSP, Scrming or Jimp can provide some more technical detail here.
The T-LOC stays locked under all driving conditions.. The Detroit-LOcker based on it not using spiders has a stronger design concept.. However, the 7.5 TLOC uses the exact same design as the 8.8 T-LOK, it just has about 30% less iron in the design... Which means, it can theoretically handle 30% less torque before breaking.. However, the numbers at which the 30% kicks in are above 500Ft. Lbs of torque..

This means if launching the car with slicks, with 500FT Lbs of RWTQ, the 8.8 being able to withstand the entire 500Ft lbs, and the 7.5 being able to withstand 30% less... Which is 350FT lbs...

Now Scrming has launched his car @ 384ft lbs several times without issue, but his tires are not slicks..

What you need to determine is how long will it be until you have the ability to launch your car with 350Ft. lbs of torque from a dead stop on slicks..

Once your to this level, you can add a Girdle, adding about 15 to 20% of strength to the standard 7.5TLOK.. Using 15% this gives us a new number of 402Ft. lbs of torque which can be applied from a deadstop launch on slicks...

This means, that when your car is at a point to where it can produce 402Ft. lbs of torque, and lauch the car at this number, you have one heck of a V6 Mustang, and it is darn worthy of an upgrade to an 8.8 rear-end..

I would imagine that problems may arise at around 420Ft lbs of torque from a dead stop launch on slicks.. Which is enough to completely lift the front tires of your car off the ground with slicks.. When you can do this, please let me know ASAP.. I want to see a picture of it... Please!
Old 11/19/05, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by MSP@November 19, 2005, 1:42 PM
The T-LOC stays locked under all driving conditions.. The Detroit-LOcker based on it not using spiders has a stronger design concept.. However, the 7.5 TLOC uses the exact same design as the 8.8 T-LOK, it just has about 30% less iron in the design... Which means, it can theoretically handle 30% less torque before breaking.. However, the numbers at which the 30% kicks in are above 500Ft. Lbs of torque..

This means if launching the car with slicks, with 500FT Lbs of RWTQ, the 8.8 being able to withstand the entire 500Ft lbs, and the 7.5 being able to withstand 30% less... Which is 350FT lbs...

Now Scrming has launched his car @ 384ft lbs several times without issue, but his tires are not slicks..

What you need to determine is how long will it be until you have the ability to launch your car with 350Ft. lbs of torque from a dead stop on slicks..

Once your to this level, you can add a Girdle, adding about 15 to 20% of strength to the standard 7.5TLOK.. Using 15% this gives us a new number of 402Ft. lbs of torque which can be applied from a deadstop launch on slicks...

This means, that when your car is at a point to where it can produce 402Ft. lbs of torque, and lauch the car at this number, you have one heck of a V6 Mustang, and it is darn worthy of an upgrade to an 8.8 rear-end..

I would imagine that problems may arise at around 420Ft lbs of torque from a dead stop launch on slicks.. Which is enough to completely lift the front tires of your car off the ground with slicks.. When you can do this, please let me know ASAP.. I want to see a picture of it... Please!

Thanks! Hey, I thought the gear design in the detroit was different. I thought it had 3 clynder type gear units in it, all pararrel to each other. And the FRTLOC has two gears that sit on the one hooking up to the shaft?

I trust your technical knowledge on this, I'm just going by the picture on the Detroit site, and watching mine installed just a few days ago.

Quick Reply: Installed! Gears and TLOK