V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installed 34mm GT Front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/05, 08:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My weekend Mustang project was installing the beefier 34mm GT front sway bar in place of the stock V6 28.6 mm bar. (Saleen is practically giving them away at $29.99 including bushings and brackets) The size difference doesn't sound like much, but eyeballing them side-by-side the GT bar looks huge (sorry, neglected to snap any photos).

Very quick to change out, six nuts to remove and all easily accessible. The bigger bar makes a very noticable difference in flat cornering and a lowered amount of wheel hop while cornering on rough pavement.

I've got a GT convertible rear bar on order (provided Charlie at West Coast Performance comes through anyway, convertible bars are apparently scarce right now). That'll be the next add.

Also before anyone suggests that the gods of suspension dynamics will surely strike me down for my heresy messing with forces unknown and mystical, let me just say that I've been doing suspension mods on sports and "sporty" cars for 25+ years, have done a fair bit of autocross in the past and am capable of evaluating the impact of such changes on handling to my own satisfaction.
Old 9/5/05, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool man, do you know if the beefier front swaybar on the 06 pony packaged V6's have a 34mm one?
I too want to hug corners a bit better with a beefier front, and a rear swaybar. Carving corners is good quality fun
Old 9/5/05, 08:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ManEHawke@September 5, 2005, 9:39 PM
Cool man, do you know if the beefier front swaybar on the 06 pony packaged V6's have a 34mm one?
I too want to hug corners a bit better with a beefier front, and a rear swaybar. Carving corners is good quality fun
Not sure. That would make sense though. Maybe our resident Ford parts pro (and all around great guy), 05StangKC could confirm?

And yeah, carving a great line through a turn is a truly fine thing
Old 9/5/05, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

I liked what you said about the additional performance so I ordered one. Of course at that price I couldn''t resist. Any tips you might have for installation would be appreciated (pretty clueless when it come to under the car). Noticed they also had rotors and calipers, you do think they are from the GT's ? and are they worth having around for the future. For 99 bucks I get the impression I could save plenty of money down the road as I'm pretty hard on the brakes.
Old 9/6/05, 07:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

There's really not much to swapping the bar. The bar has a hole at both ends where a rod is attached to tie it into the front suspension. Just remove the nuts from either side, and push the treaded part out.

The middle part of the bar attaches with saddle brackets and bushings. Remove the two nuts from each bracket and the bar will come out easily.

Just reverse the procedure to install, making sure the "bump" in the middle for engine clearance faces down.

The brakes are the GT brakes. I ordered a set too, but they arrived damaged after UPS lost the package for a week and a half past the scheduled delivery date :bang: Currently TRYING to get Saleen to respond to messages so we can get a replacement set on the way (calling any company on the Friday before a holiday weekend is pretty much doomed to failure...)
Old 9/6/05, 10:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of the take-off parts on Saleen's website are GT's because those are the only cars they modify, right?

Anyway, I ordered one as well, I had been interested in upping the suspension for quite some time, and now that I know it fits the V6, I can.

Thanks P Kiley
Old 9/6/05, 10:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@September 6, 2005, 11:34 AM
All of the take-off parts on Saleen's website are GT's because those are the only cars they modify, right?

Yeah. They're all GT take-offs (except the Focus parts of course )
Old 9/6/05, 06:46 PM
V6 Member

OK, dumb question...where is the link for the part? front sway bar...
Old 9/6/05, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a link to all of the take-off parts......http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services....php?menuId=79
Old 9/6/05, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@September 5, 2005, 9:15 PM
My weekend Mustang project was installing the beefier 34mm GT front sway bar in place of the stock V6 28.6 mm bar. (Saleen is practically giving them away at $29.99 including bushings and brackets) The size difference doesn't sound like much, but eyeballing them side-by-side the GT bar looks huge (sorry, neglected to snap any photos).

Very quick to change out, six nuts to remove and all easily accessible. The bigger bar makes a very noticable difference in flat cornering and a lowered amount of wheel hop while cornering on rough pavement.

I've got a GT convertible rear bar on order (provided Charlie at West Coast Performance comes through anyway, convertible bars are apparently scarce right now). That'll be the next add.

Also before anyone suggests that the gods of suspension dynamics will surely strike me down for my heresy messing with forces unknown and mystical, let me just say that I've been doing suspension mods on sports and "sporty" cars for 25+ years, have done a fair but of autocross in the past and am capable of evaluating the impact of such changes on handling to my own satisfaction.

Just ordered mine from Saleen. What a steal! I've already got the GT rear bar en route from Charlie at West Coast Performance. Hopefully see it later this week. Thanks for the tip!
Old 9/7/05, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

If I just drive my car normally around town, will I notice a difference?

How hard is installation?
Old 9/7/05, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Ya know what Paul? If anyone razzes you about the swap, you let me know. Changing out these components with FACTORY parts is the best thing you can do to enjoy your ride a little more.

My 1966 stang started life as an I6. For those that don't know, the first gen of mustangs were basically 4 different cars.

1) I6 No Power Steering
2) I6 Power Steering
3) V8 No Power Steering
4) V8 Power Steering

They are all 4 completely different.

Well, I swapped out the 6 for an 8 and did a full front end rebuild. The car handles like a CHAMP into the twisties. I even added a much MUCH beefier front swaybar from an aftermarket company. That thing made my car SUPER stable.

I doubt anyone will give you flack for it. It's a great addition. Heck... the pony packages are coming with them on there. Can't be all that bad for your steering dynamics, eh?

Gratz on the install, and thanks for the site. I'll be getting mine on order soon!

EDIT: How much was shipping?
Old 9/7/05, 12:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think shipping was $16.56 for me
Old 9/7/05, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Ordered mine also...Anyone have a link to the rear bar and any idea how hard that installation is/will be?
Old 9/7/05, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DanteMO@September 7, 2005, 1:59 PM
Ordered mine also...Anyone have a link to the rear bar and any idea how hard that installation is/will be?
I ordered mine from West Coast Performance Parts on eBay. Charlie sells the whole kit for around $280 plus $10 packaging fee, no shipping. Just do a seller search for 'wcpparts'. Once you confirm your purchase, you call his associate Lisa with credit card information. Very easy! From what I understand, installation isn't too bad. Remove the rear wheels and mount it. I'll be attempting it soon!
Old 9/7/05, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

What are the differences between the GT and V6's suspensions? Is it just the front and rear sway bars?
Old 9/7/05, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hamidlmt@September 7, 2005, 4:01 PM
What are the differences between the GT and V6's suspensions? Is it just the front and rear sway bars?
The V6 has a smaller diameter bar on front, no rear bar on the base, deluxe and premium. From what I know, the pony package gives you the GT front and rear sway bars. I can't vouch for the springs or other components. :scratch: Hope this helps!
Old 9/7/05, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by panamajk89@September 7, 2005, 4:58 PM
I ordered mine from West Coast Performance Parts on eBay. Charlie sells the whole kit for around $280 plus $10 packaging fee, no shipping. Just do a seller search for 'wcpparts'. Once you confirm your purchase, you call his associate Lisa with credit card information. Very easy! From what I understand, installation isn't too bad. Remove the rear wheels and mount it. I'll be attempting it soon!
It doesn't seem right to pay $30 for the front sway bar and $300 for the rear. Seems like you should be able to get the GT take off rear sway bar somewhere.
Old 9/7/05, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Jimp@September 7, 2005, 4:29 PM
It doesn't seem right to pay $30 for the front sway bar and $300 for the rear. Seems like you should be able to get the GT take off rear sway bar somewhere.
That's what I thought. I looked all over and even posted on the forums here looking for one with no response. I bid on one early on eBay and it went for more than Kevin would sell it for. That didn't include the links, bushings and brackets. I sent Casco Crash Parts an e-mail looking for one, but received no response. Oh, well! Still looking forward to the improved ride.
Old 9/7/05, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

panamajk89....that does help... thanks!

Quick Reply: Installed 34mm GT Front sway bar