V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

I call it as it is

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/08, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto...

I bought my '08 V6 vert on a business trip to Denver in late November. I'd been shopping for a month in the San Francisco Bay area and could not find a dealer willing to deal. I paid well under invoice before rebates. Guess the Denver dealer knew they'd likely be sitting on a vert until Spring.

Anyway, driving home through the Rockies, I was easily keeping up with and leading traffic up the grades. Crusin' US 50 across Nevada I was loping comfortably at 85-100 MPH and on one stretch found the top end is governed at 115.

I love my v6 vert!

Martin
Old 1/4/08, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mhconley
Ditto...

I bought my '08 V6 vert on a business trip to Denver in late November. I'd been shopping for a month in the San Francisco Bay area and could not find a dealer willing to deal. I paid well under invoice before rebates. Guess the Denver dealer knew they'd likely be sitting on a vert until Spring.

Anyway, driving home through the Rockies, I was easily keeping up with and leading traffic up the grades. Crusin' US 50 across Nevada I was loping comfortably at 85-100 MPH and on one stretch found the top end is governed at 115.

I love my v6 vert!

Martin
Get yourself an SCT Xcal 2 and delete the govenor.
I have topped out at 125 with the 87 tune.

Last edited by I-70 west; 3/6/08 at 09:59 PM.
Old 1/4/08, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

The speed limiter is a real pain. When I go to the track every lap is hampered by the limiter. I could easily hit 135 or 140 on the straight bits, but in a way I'm actually glad the V6 has a limiter at 115mph. The stock V6 brakes can't handle speeds higher than 115 when you need to slow down in a hurry multiple times in a 30min span. Once I upgrade my brakes I'll kill the limiter.
Old 1/4/08, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
The speed limiter is a real pain. When I go to the track every lap is hampered by the limiter. I could easily hit 135 or 140 on the straight bits, but in a way I'm actually glad the V6 has a limiter at 115mph. The stock V6 brakes can't handle speeds higher than 115 when you need to slow down in a hurry multiple times in a 30min span. Once I upgrade my brakes I'll kill the limiter.
It's Time for a brake upgrade
Old 1/4/08, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
It's Time for a brake upgrade
Yes, indeedy. It's going to be my first upgrade for 2008.
Old 1/4/08, 12:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've already got my Hawk pads and now I need to buy my rotors from RotorPro. If I do it soon, I'll post tips!!

What are your plans??
Old 1/4/08, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a note on removing the speed limiter for those not aware of it:

The '05 and some '06 V6 Mustangs have a driveshaft where the universal bearing caps are just staked in, no retaining clips. These shafts can (and have) come apart at speeds over 110 as the caps walk out, the universal comes apart and the shaft pretty much explodes.

Raising the limiter on a car with one of these driveshafts is more than a bit risky...
Old 1/4/08, 09:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's good info to know!!
Old 1/5/08, 01:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Just a note on removing the speed limiter for those not aware of it:

The '05 and some '06 V6 Mustangs have a driveshaft where the universal bearing caps are just staked in, no retaining clips. These shafts can (and have) come apart at speeds over 110 as the caps walk out, the universal comes apart and the shaft pretty much explodes.

Raising the limiter on a car with one of these driveshafts is more than a bit risky...
With that knowledge I wonder why Canadian V6s don`t have a speed limit set. Before I got the Xcal 2 it would top out at 120mph.

Breenspeed has the limit set at 120 for my tunes but I have to go into adjustable parameters to delete it.
Old 1/5/08, 06:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by I-70 west
With that knowledge I wonder why Canadian V6s don`t have a speed limit set. Before I got the Xcal 2 it would top out at 120mph.

Breenspeed has the limit set at 120 for my tunes but I have to go into adjustable parameters to delete it.
I don't know if that's just Canadian cars. I know some guys in the US that have exceeded 115 on the stock tune as well.

Here's a couple threads on the driveshaft issue:

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.p...ht=drive+shaft

http://4.0collective.com/showthread....riveshaft+dyno
Old 1/5/08, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

First I`ve heard of this, Thanks
My car is at the dealers for a few days awaiting parts for a water leak, I`ll get them to check which drive shaft I have. Maybe I can get them to change it if need be.
Old 1/5/08, 06:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

First I`ve heard of this, Thanks
My car is at the dealers for a few days awaiting parts for a water leak, I`ll get them to check which drive shaft I have. Maybe I can get them to change it if need be.
Worth having it checked, but they won't change it (at least not under warranty). Ford hasn't admitted it's a problem (and honestly at legal highway speeds it almost certainly isn't a problem, all the failures have been at very high speeds).

For my car, I bought an aluminum shaft from The Driveshaft Shop. It'll hold together at speed and is about 1/2 the weight of the Ford shaft.
Old 1/6/08, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Worth having it checked, but they won't change it (at least not under warranty). Ford hasn't admitted it's a problem (and honestly at legal highway speeds it almost certainly isn't a problem, all the failures have been at very high speeds).

For my car, I bought an aluminum shaft from The Driveshaft Shop. It'll hold together at speed and is about 1/2 the weight of the Ford shaft.
I would almost think as the caps walk out some vibrations are going to give some advance warning of this. I remember some complaints on these forums in the past of driveshaft vibration.
But really a difference of 5 or 10 mph as we try out the top end occasionally won`t give a break or not situation if its going to happen. I mean we all exceed the speed limit some time. After all it is a Mustang.
Old 1/6/08, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

But really a difference of 5 or 10 mph as we try out the top end occasionally won`t give a break or not situation if its going to happen. I mean we all exceed the speed limit some time. After all it is a Mustang.
All of the reports on these failures I've come across have been at high speed, up around the programmed in speed limiter or past it. Take it for what it's worth.

Me? I'm much happier and more relaxed at high speed with my quality aluminum driveshaft and CHE safety looop installed.
Old 1/6/08, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Does the 2008 have this issue?

Martin
Old 1/6/08, 09:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mhconley
Does the 2008 have this issue?

Martin
No, 2007's and 2008's have a revised shaft with retaining clips for the bearing caps. This only pertains to 2005's and some 2006's.
Old 1/7/08, 09:52 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old style after x charger on the dyno

new style
Old 1/7/08, 09:59 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old style after x charger on the dyno no clips = kaboom

new style with clips
[/quote]
Old 1/9/08, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anyone else think that this was a super poor engineering decision on Fords part?

"Hmm, Let's put friction held drift pins in a part that spins at 6k rpm with high centrifugal forces and hope they stay in place."

I'm glad they fixed the design, and I'm glad I have an 07. Although I am going to check to make sure I have the updated part.
Old 1/9/08, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Does anyone else think that this was a super poor engineering decision on Fords part?

"Hmm, Let's put friction held drift pins in a part that spins at 6k rpm with high centrifugal forces and hope they stay in place."

I'm glad they fixed the design, and I'm glad I have an 07. Although I am going to check to make sure I have the updated part.
Yes, but even with that fixed there's another stupid design choice, look where Ford put the slip joint...dead smack in the MIDDLE of the shaft where stresses will be highest if the shaft starts to wobble at all.

The aftermarket shafts (wisely) move that joint towards the front end of the shaft.

Quick Reply: I call it as it is