V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

HELP! Strut Tower Brace Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I'm a bit panicky here...I bought a Dallas Mustang Strut Tower Brace off a guy on TMS. It's for the V6. I mounted it & it sits dead on the engine...No space, nothing...Is it supposed to sit flush against the engine or should there be space? Under load, won't the engine shift and rub against the brace??? And being plastic, will the engine heaven-forbid crack? If this is the worst, yeah, I'm out some money...OR is there a way to add "spacers" to get a bit more clearance? How much clearance is needed here? Please put my mind at ease here. I'm a novice & don't want to ruin my baby. :angry: :bang:
Old 1/5/06, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

You should be able to put a couple of washers under it where you bolt it to the shock tower. Make sure you check the hood clearance so that you don't ding/bend the hood from the inside.
Old 1/5/06, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

sounds strange, i have plenty of clearance on my brace, try the washer idea
Old 1/5/06, 09:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Criminy,
Now that's three brands in a row with fitment issues in the last few weeks. Ex-Galaxie 500 with his Steeda, Me with my SMR, and now Dallas Mustang. How hard is it to bend steel these days?

I'm probably stuck with store credit only for my defective brace - wishing I could put the bones towards an FRPP brace instead. Haven't heard any issues with those yet.
Old 1/6/06, 02:47 PM

I had the same exact problem, I added two washers to each bolt and it's all gravy baby...
Old 1/6/06, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@January 5, 2006, 11:57 PM
Criminy,
Now that's three brands in a row with fitment issues in the last few weeks. Ex-Galaxie 500 with his Steeda, Me with my SMR, and now Dallas Mustang. How hard is it to bend steel these days?

I'm probably stuck with store credit only for my defective brace - wishing I could put the bones towards an FRPP brace instead. Haven't heard any issues with those yet.
Finally got in touch with MustangTuning.com and they said they'd let me return my Steeda brace. I may have to pay a restocking fee- but that is fine with me after all the hassle. I probably won't be dealing with Steeda again. Their signature "S" is forever carved into my hood liner. Probably won't try another strut tower brace for a while with this high-engine'd V6 either. It's just too darn close. I'll probably spring for the GT rear sway bar next and call it a day.
Old 1/7/06, 11:41 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@January 6, 2006, 3:13 PM
Finally got in touch with MustangTuning.com and they said they'd let me return my Steeda brace. I may have to pay a restocking fee- but that is fine with me after all the hassle. I probably won't be dealing with Steeda again. Their signature "S" is forever carved into my hood liner. Probably won't try another strut tower brace for a while with this high-engine'd V6 either. It's just too darn close. I'll probably spring for the GT rear sway bar next and call it a day.
Your job is to find a solution, not give in to adversity... I Say you keep the Steeda brace, and solve the problem, so when guys find themselves in the same position, they can google search the problem, and find your solution... I dont think you are a quitter... I could be wrong though..
Old 1/7/06, 11:55 AM

Yea, and I would try some washers on the bolts. They may just do the trick and still give you enough clearance for the hood. I had a similiar problem when I put in my GT fog lights and fixed it with some washers.

Good luck.
Old 1/7/06, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 7, 2006, 2:58 PM
Yea, and I would try some washers on the bolts. They may just do the trick and still give you enough clearance for the hood. I had a similiar problem when I put in my GT fog lights and fixed it with some washers.

Good luck.
His problem is the opposite, it's too high. Maybe try taking the hood liner off. That's what scrming did when his plenum cover was hitting.
Old 1/7/06, 12:27 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@January 7, 2006, 11:14 AM
His problem is the opposite, it's too high. Maybe try taking the hood liner off. That's what scrming did when his plenum cover was hitting.
I was wondering about that.. so if its to high, is it a manufacturing defect? If so, then he should ask for an exchange...

But removing the hood liner is an acceptable remedy... The hood liner helps to trap hot air anyway.. Removing it allows the hood to absorb more engine heat, in turn removing it from the engine bay... The effect would be that your hood would act more like a heatsink... It is highly likley that Steeda, based on their race herritage designed this facet into the brace, but failed to inform the consumer... Since the item is a racing application, then it makes sense that the hood liner being a heat suppressor of the engine bay, was calculated out of the equation, because the general consensus was that most would understand the hood as a "heatsink" concept...

It makes sense to me that Scrming may have understood this concept, and removed it understanding the overall benefit of removing the hood liner... Also, the hood liner prevents incoming air from entering through the small passage under the hood, or decreases the volume chamber of air which could help to remove heat from the engine bay..
Old 1/7/06, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I might remove mine when I get the Steeda brace, or just cut out an area, or someting, who knows...we will see.
Old 1/7/06, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MSP@January 7, 2006, 2:30 PM
I was wondering about that.. so if its to high, is it a manufacturing defect? If so, then he should ask for an exchange...

But removing the hood liner is an acceptable remedy... The hood liner helps to trap hot air anyway.. Removing it allows the hood to absorb more engine heat, in turn removing it from the engine bay... The effect would be that your hood would act more like a heatsink... It is highly likley that Steeda, based on their race herritage designed this facet into the brace, but failed to inform the consumer... Since the item is a racing application, then it makes sense that the hood liner being a heat suppressor of the engine bay, was calculated out of the equation, because the general consensus was that most would understand the hood as a "heatsink" concept...

It makes sense to me that Scrming may have understood this concept, and removed it understanding the overall benefit of removing the hood liner... Also, the hood liner prevents incoming air from entering through the small passage under the hood, or decreases the volume chamber of air which could help to remove heat from the engine bay..
Steeda did replace my brace the first time. However, the replacement has the same problem- and when I told them that I'd just like to try and cut my losses they pretty much told me in an e-mail that the brace fit their 06 test model and that I really didn't have any options. I would remove the liner if it was a slight fitment issue, but it isn't. You can see the brace pressing up against the hood- a big sqaure 'dent' (only opposite of a dent since its sticking up).