V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Headers or T-loc?

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/06, 07:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I have saved up some $$ and now is the hard part, what to spend it on. I have been looking at headers just to increase my sound w/ the true dual exhaust/GT mufflers. I also want to install a T-loc.
I have been leaning towards the headers since I am still undecided if I want to add new gears as well when the T-loc is installed. I do not plan on racing this car (maybe on a very rare occasion will it ever see a track) so I am wondering if new gears are really worth it. I drive a mix of highway and around town. Any input is appreciated!
Old 2/12/06, 07:40 PM
GT Member

sct-2 and a cai
Old 2/12/06, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrumStyxs10 @ February 12, 2006, 8:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
sct-2 and a cai
[/b][/quote]

Thats comming in the spring, already have another fund going for that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

you will barely see any gain with the headers, so get the tlok [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] (or truetrac)
Old 2/12/06, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 10:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
you will barely see any gain with the headers, so get the tlok [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] (or truetrac)
[/b][/quote]

+ gears. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 07:53 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 9:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Dittoes. IMHO, if you must get the Tloc now before you do the 'core' upgrade of CAI&Tune&Exhaust, get the Tloc before you do headers. That way you'd have the benefits of limited slip. Header upgrades on stock exhaust & no limited slip is not the best order to do this. If possible I'd do the Tloc and get the CAI/Tune/Exhaust next. THEN do headers as 'mod #3'.
Old 2/12/06, 07:57 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 12, 2006, 8:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dittoes. IMHO, if you must get the Tloc now before you do the 'core' upgrade of CAI&Tune&Exhaust, get the Tloc before you do headers. That way you'd have the benefits of limited slip. Header upgrades on stock exhaust & no limited slip is not the best order to do this. If possible I'd do the Tloc and get the CAI/Tune/Exhaust next. THEN do headers as 'mod #3'.
[/b][/quote]
or mod like... #18 lol
Old 2/12/06, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll go with the T-lok too....just make sure you get the tunes and CAI too so you can get your money's worth out of it... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 08:10 PM
GT Member

well if you are going towards sound of your stang, get headers...

if you are looking for more of a performace upgrade, get the t-lok...

headers are considered a performace upgrade, but thy do cost a bit more...well thats for the JBA's...
Old 2/12/06, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the tlok. One wheel burn outs suck. You can improve the sound later.
Old 2/12/06, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

OK, i agree with you guys, T-loc is the better choice at this time. Now the next big question. Shoudl I get gears or not? I'm not going to be racing the car, just want a little more power out of it, yet since the rear will be worked on, shoudl i go for it as well. Also, will gears do any sort of damage by having the engine run at higher rpm's?
Old 2/12/06, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I ended up going with the TrueTrac, but before I changed my mind, I was gonna get the T-Lok.

This guy is hands down the best deal for one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-MUSTAN...sspagenameZWDVW

He usually sells them one at a time, with Buy It Now for $169. For some reason, this auction is at $161, where he starts all of them at.

I actually contacted him and asked him about the Buy it Now for $169, and he put another auction up for me. I felt bad going with the TrueTrac, but he was cool about it.

Pretty nice guy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yur1279 @ February 12, 2006, 11:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK, i agree with you guys, T-loc is the better choice at this time. Now the next big question. Shoudl I get gears or not? I'm not going to be racing the car, just want a little more power out of it, yet since the rear will be worked on, shoudl i go for it as well. Also, will gears do any sort of damage by having the engine run at higher rpm's?
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/14/06, 01:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

so what do you guys think I should do about gears? It will be nice to have them for the accasional boost, ect, but does runnign at a constant higher rpm hurt anything?
Also, any links to good gears to get?
Old 2/14/06, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Thumbs down

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yur1279 @ February 14, 2006, 3:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
so what do you guys think I should do about gears? It will be nice to have them for the accasional boost, ect, but does runnign at a constant higher rpm hurt anything?
Also, any links to good gears to get?
[/b][/quote]

I went through the same agonizing pain you did. Take it from my experience. I am a person who also IGNORED the recommendation of more experienced members in this forum and STILL wanted to do it my way. Ya know what, the initial recommendation was right...

Here it is... drumroll please.....

Ford Racing 3.73 Ring and Pinion Set Part Number M-4209-L373M

These will give you the perfect additional kick around town and NOT be inappropriate for daily driving, either. I installed the 3.45 gears when I went up from my 3.31's when I did my truetrac limited slip. I def found more breathing room for the 3.73's. Bottomline: I shoulda just listened to other members and just gone w/ 3.73's with my 5 speed manual tranny.

The 'constant' higher RPM running is not that much.

HOWEVER, keep this in mind:

Changing out gears on the S197 does require a reflash to calibrate your speedo. Since I already have an SCT XCAL2 its a non-issue for me to change ring/pinion and tire sizes on-the-fly. Based on your earlier posts on this thread, you do not yet have the XCAL2. So, if you stick to your guns and get the limited slip w/ different gears and don't reflash, your speedo will be off. Unless you stick with your stock gears.

HOWEVER, changing out ring/pinion means another rear-diff rebuild. So, you are in for another master rebuild kit to get another set of bearings, plus the labor time. Take it from me. I've been down this road. Unless you want to rebuild your rear diff twice, get the 3.73's now and spend the money you'd spend on labor to get a 2nd diff rebuild to buy the CAI & XCAL2.

Just another 2 cents from me to do the CAI/Reflash & rear diff @ the same time. IMHO, do the headers & Muffler later if you need to stretch your budget out over time more. Put in the CAI & Reflash & Rear diff w/ 3.73's and then do the headers & muffler as future funds allow.
Old 2/14/06, 09:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the info. If the RPM change isn't that big, I guess i'm goin with the 3.73's. Looks like i'll buy a few aprts at a tiem and then install them all at once.
Old 2/15/06, 01:33 PM

I don't understand getting the TLoc before CAI and XCal. The WOT delay in the stock setup will eliminate you ever being able to know if you have the Tloc. Really, do the tune and CAI first so at least you can enjoy your money. Then install TLoc after so it can put that tune and CAI to the road better..
Old 2/15/06, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaulC @ February 15, 2006, 12:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't understand getting the TLoc before CAI and XCal. The WOT delay in the stock setup will eliminate you ever being able to know if you have the Tloc. Really, do the tune and CAI first so at least you can enjoy your money. Then install TLoc after so it can put that tune and CAI to the road better..
[/b][/quote]

There is a logic to this. If you go with gears, you'll need an X-cal to recalibrate your speedo anyways. An intake and X-cal is probably a better bang for buck option that you'll definetly notice!
Old 2/15/06, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

intake and tuner definatley wakes up the car, and throttle response, but holy f.... those gears did wonders for me around town lol. (and hopefully at the track this friday
Old 2/15/06, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Get the CAI and tuner now like they said so you can adjust for the gears when you do install them. There is a huge difference in performance with the CAI and tune that you'll be happy with. Do the gears and diff. at the same time to save labor costs.
Old 2/17/06, 09:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the tips guys. So with the Xcal 2, I cna later adjust the gear ratio, ect. and still keep the same tune?

Quick Reply: Headers or T-loc?