V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Gt Takeoffs installed

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/05, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INstalled the GT Takeoffs today. Great price overall. 105 delieverd for the Cat Back Gts off of Ebay. 80 for the Ford Hangers from Southwest Ford, delivered. 70 for the install at local shop. so, 255 total...not bad. I did not have an H pipe or an x pipe installed. Just the true dual exhaust.

What are your thoughts about leaving the true dual over getting an H pipe setup? Any performance issues? Any sound differances?
Old 11/1/05, 08:16 PM

I asked around before I purchased my GT Take Offs (via ebay of course) and the biggest issue am aware of is concern about the backpressure on the V-6 if you run true duals. By using an H or X pipe, you resolve that since it evens the pressure out.

Food for thought, I dont know details, thats just what I was told regarding why most do not run true duals on the V-6. maybe someone might shed some light on the details
Old 11/1/05, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

H or X doesn't really change backpressure, but balances the pulses and pressures from both sides, so both sides are getting the same amount. Guys who go true duals do it for the sound, especially the V8 guys. It gives that more old school sound. An H pipe is popular for this reason, because it keeps that sound, but the benefits from the balance. An X pipe may lose a bit of that kick in sound, but balances the most efficient.

Hey Torkfastback, if you go back to the shop and decide on a crossover can you ask them to do you a favor and actually check how much backpressure you are getting from your duals. Especially if you have a 2 1/2" system. I'm curious to know how off the PSI is from the lowest recommended pressure.
Old 11/2/05, 06:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The real benefit from either an H or X crossover is exhaust scavaging.

In a nutshell - exhaust pulses leave the engine at uneven intervals. If you have a crossover, as one pulses passes by the opening, the slight vacuum behind the pulse on one side has the effect of "pulling" the pulse from the other side out of the engine. Thus better exhaust flow out of the motor (in essence a large air pump) and more HP.

I ordered my LH intermediate pipe and hangers from Ford yesterday. Sure wish I could get the prices everyone else seems to be getting. My hangers were $50 each.
Old 11/2/05, 11:02 AM

For the best price on Ford parts, call Southwest Ford (Texas) and they will give you a huge discount. I paid 36 a piece for my hangers. They will ship out items the same day.

Not sure if the place I took my car can do a pressure check. It was a mom and pop place. I think I will go back and get the H pipe unless somebody can tell me a good reason not to.

Thanks