V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT rear swar bar installed

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/05, 07:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just walked in from the yard after installing the GT rear sway bar on my 'vert.

Installation was a piece o' cake. Done in less than twenty minutes, including torquing all the hardware to spec.

Points to note:

1) I was able to do this without a lift, jackstands or removing the wheels (I've seen posts to the contrary here). All I needed were ramps to allow my fat hiney to fit under the car.

You do have to be sort of careful positioning the bar as you slide it under the rear frame reinforcements (or whatever you want to cal the big steel "V" that runs from under the center of the trunk out towards the doors). A litle wiggling and it can be positioned.

The trick seems to be to slide the bar inside the wheel from the back as you bring the first end in, that'll give you clearence to get the other side swung into place and positioned, then you can just even everything out.

2) Get ALL the factory bolts clips. This setup has some very unique captive bolts/clips. Trying to mickey mouse the hardware is just going to cause you extra headaches. Don't bother. Fortunately West Coast Performance supplied everything needed, as well as a useful printout with an exploded view drawing showing how it all goes together.

3) if you're considering this be aware Ford make TWO rear bars for the car. One for the coupe, one for the 'vert. The coupe bar will NOT fit a convertible (the 'vert bar will work on a coupe though). The difference between then is an extra bend or two on the 'very bar to clear the chassis reinforcements.

Speaking of West Coast, I'd like to give Charlie and Lisa there a HUGE thumbs up. They had trouble laying their hands on a rear bar for me, as 'vert bars were tight in the supply chain unexpectedly. They tracked one down though and received it at West Coast last Weds. He shipped the whole lot cross country second day Fedex specifically to get it to me for the weekend, without me even asking him to.. Great customer service

Ok, off to drive now
Old 9/10/05, 07:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

p.s. I don't really use the word "hiney", That's the board word filter's choice
Old 9/10/05, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, did you notice much of a differance over stock?

I was thinking of getting the GT frony and rear sway bars.

Can you post the link where you get them from?
Old 9/10/05, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05BlackVert@September 10, 2005, 9:51 AM
Cool, did you notice much of a differance over stock?

I was thinking of getting the GT frony and rear sway bars.

Can you post the link where you get them from?
Here's the link for the rear:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-MUSTAN...980877325QQrdZ1

The front:

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...=99-1303-C11739

I'm waiting for my parts to arrive. Once they do, I'm getting to work!
Old 9/10/05, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For just a little extra money($30?), you can get the Steeda front and rear sway bars that are bigger than the GT's here:
http://secure.50resto.com/category.cfm?SID...ategory_ID=1232
Old 9/10/05, 10:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Jimp@September 10, 2005, 11:12 AM
For just a little extra money($30?), you can get the Steeda front and rear sway bars that are bigger than the GT's here:
http://secure.50resto.com/category.cfm?SID...ategory_ID=1232
I believe you'd also need to buy attaching hardware to go that route. I believe the Steeda kit is intended for the GT, and re-uses the factory bolts, and maybe the saddle brackets for the end points. It's also only a 4mm difference.

I just got back from throwing the car around a bit, and I'm well satisfied with the factory bars. Corners dead flat at any speed I'm likely to try on a public road and sticks like glue even with the factory V6 tires

As for Steeda or other larger bars, we have a lot of rough roads in the Boston area, and I think that stiffening the bars further would possibly lead to suspension compliance issues over the poor surfaces hereabouts. Like anything else it's a balancing act, and the factory bars suit my needs/goals
Old 9/10/05, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@September 10, 2005, 11:37 AM
I believe you'd also need to buy attaching hardware to go that route. I believe the Steeda kit is intended for the GT, and re-uses the factory bolts, and maybe the saddle brackets for the end points. It's also only a 4mm difference.
I just got back from throwing the car around a bit, and I'm well satisfied with the factory bars. Corners dead flat at any speed I'm likely to try on a public road and sticks like glue even with the factory V6 tires
As for Steeda or other larger bars, we have a lot of rough roads in the Boston area, and I think that stiffening the bars further would possibly lead to suspension compliance issues over the poor surfaces hereabouts. Like anything else it's a balancing act, and the factory bars suit my needs/goals
I would have to agree with what you're saying about the Steeda kit. On the surface, the pricing is good, but it doesn't factor in the additional cost of buying the hardware to facilitate the mounting. I'm happy to hear about the performance with the factory bars, as well. Any day now...
Old 9/10/05, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@September 10, 2005, 8:47 AM
p.s. I don't really use the word "hiney", That's the board word filter's choice
Sure you don't!! *LOL*

Great Info... Sounds like a snap... I'm still waiting on my saleen take off for the front and get that in... I'm in the middle of a large foglight project, I have a bunch of bling stuff for the interior coming from UPR Products, and just ordered some decals from bobwhitedecals... I also was bidding on the midwest plenum cover prototype for us v6's, b ut it's up to 112 bucks... Still thinking on that... After all these projects are done...then I'll try and get the rear sway bar... My wife is going to kill me for all the $$$ and time I'm spending with the car... But hey, she told me to buy it for my 40th and because my son loved the car... She was afraid I would go buy something more expensive...Like a 23 year old girl friend *LOL*
Old 9/10/05, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm one of those guys that said you had to remove at least one rear wheel...because that's how the dealer did it. I guess some dealers aren't that smart....this was the same dealer whose service advisor told me I already had a anti-sway on the car...becuase he mistook the additional under body braces on the 'vert for anti-sways. I should have know better. Go figure.
Old 9/10/05, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I knew it would be nothing to it, making our cars carve corners makes me real happy.
You think with these bars and bigger tires we would handle better than a GT, due to us being lighter?
Old 9/10/05, 04:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

The only reason I can think of that would really require yanking a tire would be if you had custom rims/tires that come farther inboard than the stock ones. In that case you might have to resort to doing so.

And yeah, handling wise, the V6 is closer to 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, so everything else being equal, the V6 would have a handling edge.
Old 9/11/05, 06:57 AM
GT Member

Anyone have the torque specs for the front and rear swaybar(s)?
Old 9/11/05, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

yea, i need to know the torque specs for the front swaybar.

does the saleen take-off come with everything for installation?
Old 9/11/05, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scotts05custom@September 11, 2005, 11:36 AM

does the saleen take-off come with everything for installation?
See thread titled "Installed 34mm GT Front sway bar", post #1. The answer is 'yes'.

Old 9/11/05, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by panamajk89@September 11, 2005, 1:48 PM
See thread titled "Installed 34mm GT Front sway bar", post #1. The answer is 'yes'.

Panamajk,

In post #1 there aren't any torque specs? Or are you talking about the saleen take-offs having all the bushings/etc?

Sorry, I'm a little confused right now... *LOL*
Old 9/11/05, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DanteMO@September 11, 2005, 4:23 PM
Panamajk,

In post #1 there aren't any torque specs? Or are you talking about the saleen take-offs having all the bushings/etc?

Sorry, I'm a little confused right now... *LOL*
Too many drinks on NFL opening weekend...

I was talking about the Saleen take-off sway bar bushings and HW. Sorry about that. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
Old 9/11/05, 04:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by scotts05custom@September 11, 2005, 11:36 AM
For both front and rear (from Ford service manual)

Bar ends: 115Nm (85 lb-ft)

Center brackets: 70Nm (52 lb-ft)
Old 9/11/05, 07:50 PM
GT Member

Thanx PKiley and Panamajk...

Appreciate the info... Makes it alot easier for the rest of us. Just wanted you guys to know I for one appreciate it!!

Old 9/11/05, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DanteMO@September 11, 2005, 8:53 PM
Thanx PKiley and Panamajk...

Appreciate the info... Makes it alot easier for the rest of us. Just wanted you guys to know I for one appreciate it!!

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help!
Old 9/11/05, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by panamajk89@September 11, 2005, 9:26 PM
You're very welcome! I'm happy to help!
Ditto here, happy to help

A note on the fronts: The end bolts have a small hex head on them so you can put a small wrench (8mm I think) on them to stop them spinning in the ball joint when you remove/install the big nut.

Quick Reply: GT rear swar bar installed