V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Getting the Vortech :)

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/06, 07:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a busy night last night, and just got back. Lots of great info on this thead. I've been considering all the feedback and have decided to see what Vortech will offer as a Full kit and then compare it. It just hurts shen you are all ready to go - darn anxiety :bang:

Vortech said they should have the full kit end of month early next - so it's a wait and see until - probably beginning of February. Of course by then Explorer Express will have theirs almost ready to go as well. I spoke with someone from EE yesterday as well and they said hopefully 30 days until back from testing and probably sometime around then if all is good out for sale. He said they are going to be using an m90 for the 4.0 application , but could not give any real #'s since they do not actually have a working config setup as of yet ... which makes me wonder if 30 days or so is all that realistic

And MSP - I like the second set as well... not a big fan of the gold. But the tires will sure look great on either

darn.... why can't these companies get these things tested and rolled out fast enough....
Old 1/6/06, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is some more information I got back from Mike this morning via email:

Todd,
The 4.0 system is about a month away yet, we are currently wrapping the final details on the v8 system as we speak.
Unfortunately, I have no technical write-up at this time, but will as we get closer to the actual production date.
The 6, 9 and 12 psi system are all virtually the same components.
The 6psi can be had non-intercooled, approximately 260rwhp.
The 9psi is intercooled, approximately 320rwhp The 12psi is also intercooled and requires a voltage driver such as a KB BAP, nets around 400rwhp on 104 octane fuel.
All systems utilize the same turbocharger and injector combination.

Expect more details in the next few weeks.

Mike Bowen
PowerHouse Automotive, LLC
www.PowerHouse411.com
814 774 4966
Old 1/6/06, 10:15 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by screaminyellin6@January 6, 2006, 6:23 AM
Had a busy night last night, and just got back. Lots of great info on this thead. I've been considering all the feedback and have decided to see what Vortech will offer as a Full kit and then compare it. It just hurts shen you are all ready to go - darn anxiety :bang:

Vortech said they should have the full kit end of month early next - so it's a wait and see until - probably beginning of February. Of course by then Explorer Express will have theirs almost ready to go as well. I spoke with someone from EE yesterday as well and they said hopefully 30 days until back from testing and probably sometime around then if all is good out for sale. He said they are going to be using an m90 for the 4.0 application , but could not give any real #'s since they do not actually have a working config setup as of yet ... which makes me wonder if 30 days or so is all that realistic

And MSP - I like the second set as well... not a big fan of the gold. But the tires will sure look great on either

darn.... why can't these companies get these things tested and rolled out fast enough....

You'll be ok, no need to feel rushed.. As soon as I get some numbers I will post them.. My car will be running with 9 to 10psi of boost to start out with... So I will be able to answer all your questions real soon...

@Raginstormlocke

The Turbo kit is looking real nice @ 9psi... That 320rwhp is real sweet.. I know Mike will do a great kit... Also, with Mikes testing, anyone with that kit will know that 400rwhp is safely possible at 12psi.. Looking at the numbers, 12psi is 470HP at the crank..

I may just set my car at 450HP with the Vortech Setup, because I know the motor can handle it... I am happy with 400HP at the crank, but may choose to set the car at 450HP to prove a point.. One thing I like about the Vortech kit, is the engine is only under stress when I place it there... I am soley focused on showing complete reliability at a good crank number... If I do set it to 450HP at the crank, this will be about 382rwhp... That I am confident can be run reliably, easily.. We will see..
Old 1/6/06, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@January 6, 2006, 12:18 PM
You'll be ok, no need to feel rushed.. As soon as I get some numbers I will post them.. My car will be running with 9 to 10psi of boost to start out with... So I will be able to answer all your questions real soon...

@Raginstormlocke

The Turbo kit is looking real nice @ 9psi... That 320rwhp is real sweet.. I know Mike will do a great kit... Also, with Mikes testing, anyone with that kit will know that 400rwhp is safely possible at 12psi.. Looking at the numbers, 12psi is 470HP at the crank..

I may just set my car at 450HP with the Vortech Setup, because I know the motor can handle it... I am happy with 400HP at the crank, but may choose to set the car at 450HP to prove a point.. One thing I like about the Vortech kit, is the engine is only under stress when I place it there... I am soley focused on showing complete reliability at a good crank number... If I do set it to 450HP at the crank, this will be about 382rwhp... That I am confident can be run reliably, easily.. We will see..

Sweet!! I'm not sold on a particular solution yet, I just want something that will work with my N20 and I read turbos are safer with N20. But, at a 55HP shot, is it really an issue of SC vs. TC.

I will wait and check out the dynos and technical specifics and make my decision then.

Can't wait to see what your ride will look like. Thanks man!
Old 1/6/06, 12:46 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 6, 2006, 10:52 AM
Sweet!! I'm not sold on a particular solution yet, I just want something that will work with my N20 and I read turbos are safer with N20. But, at a 55HP shot, is it really an issue of SC vs. TC.

I will wait and check out the dynos and technical specifics and make my decision then.

Here is more on the Intercooler/Aftercooler situation..

Intercoolers... Aftercoolers... What's the difference?

In order for an intercooler to effectively cool the air that passes through it, the intercooler itself must be cooled by some external means. Most intercoolers are cooled just like your engine's radiator - air flows over the outside of the intercooler's fins, which in turn cool the air inside the intercooler - hence the name Air to Air Intercooler. Some intercoolers, however, are cooled by water instead of air, in which case they are generally called aftercoolers, or Air to Water Intercoolers. The benefit to an aftercooler is that air passing through it can be cooled more than in a traditional air/air intercooler if very cold water and ice are used to cool the intercooler - in fact, some aftercoolers chill the air to below ambient air temperatures even after it has been compressed by the supercharger. The reason aftercoolers are more effective in cooling the air charge is because water is a much better conductor of heat than air - in fact water conducts 4 times as much heat as air! The obvious drawback is that with time, the water will heat up to the temperature of the air passing through it, and its ability to cool incoming air goes away. Some aftercoolers, however, use a small radiator to cool the water that runs through the system, making them ideal for street use as well as racing. For drag racing applications aftercoolers packed with ice work very well because they only need to work for around ten seconds or so (hopefully) before you shut down and head to the victory podium. For milder racing and street applications air/air intercoolers or aftercoolers with radiators are more practical as their ability to cool incoming air is not reduced with time.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=16

I think what we all can take from this is this... For 1, the Vortech setup does use a small radiator to cool the incoming water which is heated up over time from the compressed air of the supercharger... So for me this is perfect... This means while at the track, I can increase boost, by use of chilled ice... For a guy running an Intercooler, he will not have this ability.. If its a scorching hot day at a Dragstrip around the country, then an Intercooled guy will have to hedge his bets, that he can somehow make good power with the current ambient air temp... He can increase his boost.. But if he guesses wrong, then he goes boom.. In my situation, I can simply add a 12psi pulley, along with a bag of Ice, and blast down the track before the ice melts.. LOL!!

So it should be understood that yes the intercooler is ok for street use, but it does not provide the flexibility for proper dragstrip use.. Its hope is left to the elements presented by nature... The AfterCooler used by Vortech, has the ability to have the elements altered long enough by the user to take the win.. LOL!! Hopefully.. This is fun stuff guys, I love it..

Please re-read I misquoted.. Its now fixed..
Old 1/6/06, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

MSP Posted Today, 01:49 PM
QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ January 6, 2006, 10:52 AM)

Here is more on the Intercooler/Aftercooler situation..

Intercoolers... Aftercoolers... What's the difference?

In order for an intercooler to effectively cool the air that passes through it, the intercooler itself must be cooled by some external means. Most intercoolers are cooled just like your engine's radiator - air flows over the outside of the intercooler's fins, which in turn cool the air inside the intercooler - hence the name Air to Air Intercooler. Some intercoolers, however, are cooled by water instead of air, in which case they are generally called aftercoolers, or Air to Water Intercoolers. The benefit to an aftercooler is that air passing through it can be cooled more than in a traditional air/air intercooler if very cold water and ice are used to cool the intercooler - in fact, some aftercoolers chill the air to below ambient air temperatures even after it has been compressed by the supercharger. The reason aftercoolers are more effective in cooling the air charge is because water is a much better conductor of heat than air - in fact water conducts 4 times as much heat as air! The obvious drawback is that with time, the water will heat up to the temperature of the air passing through it, and its ability to cool incoming air goes away. Some aftercoolers, however, use a small radiator to cool the water that runs through the system, making them ideal for street use as well as racing. For drag racing applications aftercoolers packed with ice work very well because they only need to work for around ten seconds or so (hopefully) before you shut down and head to the victory podium. For milder racing and street applications air/air intercoolers or aftercoolers with radiators are more practical as their ability to cool incoming air is not reduced with time.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=16

I think what we all can take from this is this... For 1, the Vortech setup does use a small radiator to cool the incoming water which is heated up over time from the compressed air of the supercharger... So for me this is perfect... This means while at the track, I can increase boost, by use of chilled ice... For a guy running an Intercooler, he will not have this ability.. If its a scorching hot day at a Dragstrip around the country, then an Intercooled guy will have to hedge his bets, that he can somehow make good power with the current ambient air temp... He can increase his boost.. But if he guesses wrong, then he goes boom.. In my situation, I can simply add a 12psi pulley, along with a bag of Ice, and blast down the track before the ice melts.. LOL!!

So it should be understood that yes the intercooler is ok for street use, but it does not provide the flexibility for proper dragstrip use.. Its hope is left to the elements presented by nature... The AfterCooler used by Vortech, has the ability to have the elements altered long enough by the user to take the win.. LOL!! Hopefully.. This is fun stuff guys, I love it..

Please re-read I misquoted.. Its now fixed..

Good find MSP I looked searched on the net but couldn't find any postive articles on an air to water intercooler vs. air to air aftercooler during my research. I will post this in my post above on information on intercoolers. If anyone one else has any postive information on air to water coolers vs. air to air intercoolers please post or e-mail them to me and I will add them.
Old 1/6/06, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by screaminyellin6@January 6, 2006, 10:23 AM

Here's an email I got from EE on Dec. 19:
"Hi,

All the parts are designed and the tooling ordered. We should have the first article parts in 30-45 days. If everything is good with them, production parts 30 days later. Our target price for a smog spec CA unit that uses the stock airbox and MAF is $3500. The hi-po 49 state model will use a custom hi flow intake, MAF and CAI. It may also require larger injectors. We won't know the price on that until we complete the tuning.

I've added your email address to our list and we will send you an email when the Mustang X-CHARGER is available.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Dave Vanek
Explorer Express"
Old 1/7/06, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

So Ive asked this before with no response.

What about water injection?

The typical system introduces a fine mist of water at or near the TB.

It is controlled by boost, the amount of water injected increases as boost increases.

Jackson Racing uses water injection on thier 2.0 Focus system. They advertise that it lowers inlet air temps by as much as 100 degrees. I have never heard or read anything negative about water injection

So why isnt water injection an option for our 4.0s?
Old 1/7/06, 02:53 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 6, 2006, 11:15 PM
So Ive asked this before with no response.

What about water injection?

The typical system introduces a fine mist of water at or near the TB.

It is controlled by boost, the amount of water injected increases as boost increases.

Jackson Racing uses water injection on thier 2.0 Focus system. They advertise that it lowers inlet air temps by as much as 100 degrees. I have never heard or read anything negative about water injection

So why isnt water injection an option for our 4.0s?

When I get a chance, I'll ask Vortech if its a viable option for them to consider to pioneer...

I like the concept BurntPony.. Vortech should know the pros and cons about it.. I'll let you know what they say..
Old 1/7/06, 09:50 AM
MSP
Banned

Looking at this link, it appears the Water Injection unit can be installed pretty much into any car which is supercharged...

http://www.filler-up.com/sscor/intercoolers.htm

http://www.filler-up.com/sscor/water_injection.htm

The Price is not bad for the added protection..

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProd...teIndexID=38405
Old 1/7/06, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Water Injection can be had at a much better price than JR advertises. I know of a few people who have made thier own system for about $125.

My interest in water injection is to reach a target hp at a lower boost. level.

I plan on keeping my 05 for many years, longevity is definately an issue.

I kept my 88GT, mostly stock except for exhaust, lowering springs, and mass air for over 11 trouble free years.

I want the same service out of my 05.