V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/06, 02:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I go to Ford Racing to check out what kind of CAI they have to offer. First of all, they don't have anything specifically for the V-6 yet. What they do have are two GT performance packages labeled "Power Pack," and "Drag Pack."

The "Power Pack" promises 20 hp at the rear wheels and includes: a 90mm conical hi-po air filter with a metal heat shield that utilizes the stock intake tube; dual Borla exhaust mufflers; a hi-po oil filter; and a factory racing calibration unit set with a 93 octane tune only. The Kit is 50-state legal and I am guessing that it would not void your warranty.

The "Drag Pack" promises to cut 1/4 mile times by 1/2 a second and includes all of the above, plus: a 4:10 rear end; dual "shorty" headers; and a short throw racing shifter.

#1.) Has anyone tried Ford Racing's 90mm hi-po conical air filter and heat shield on a V-6 yet? It looks like it might bolt right on. What were the results?

#2.) Would the Ford Racing flash unit even work on a V-6, or are the air/fuel ratios so different that it would be useless?

#3.) Ford already does offer the same (single) Borla exhaust muffler for the V-6. Has anyone tried one yet? How does it work and sound?

I also found the route Ford Racing took very interesting. Why no cold air intake tube unless the stock tube already offers good flow? (One is not even included with the "Drag Pack.") Why use a metal heat shield that probably costs a little more to manufacture instead of plastic one? Why no 87 or 91 octane settings on the flash unit, unless the computer can't enrich the air/fuel mixture up enough to make a difference, with the new 90mm hi-po air filter, unless you are running at least 93 octane? This would explain some of the almost no difference dyno numbers I have seen for 87 and 91 octane tunes with aftermarket CAIs.

Why go with improved dual exhaust mufflers before going with shorty headers unless the stock headers already flow fairly well compared to the stock exhausts (or unless the catalytic converter restricts the headers from doing too much at least until the exhausts have been changed out first.)

When trying to cut just 1/2 a second off the 1/4 mile, Ford Racing went with a 4:10 rear end, nothing less!

And would you make a hi-po oil filter and a short throw shifter the the #3, or #4 items on your list? Why no pulleys, no long tube, or nothing to do with the ignition or the throttle body? Or are these modifications more trouble and expense then they are worth?

Finally, is the hi-po oil filter necessary because it flows better and lowers oil pressure at high revs, or because it flows better and causes less drag on the engine (and thus more hp), or both? That would be a real smart, low cost way to boost hp, wouldn't it. :scratch:
Old 1/4/06, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford Racing offerings you are seeing are RECENT additions. For a number of months the FRPP web site indicated they would be selling CAI's which looked very much like ones manufactured by S&B. All of a sudden the listings disappeared. Rumor has it that FRPP and S&B had some sort of difference of opinion and the products were pulled.

They're now finally starting to list new ideas so, presumably, they inked a new dealer with another company. Be advised, though, that the Power Pack and Drag Pack look to be exclusive solutions for the Mustang GT.

With respect to your question about the Borla (FRPP) single exhaust, yes several of us have invested in them. I'm one of those people. The axleback sounds awesome and works really well. Here's an old picture of the exhaust before I installed it for reference.

Here's an audio file of the exhust installed on my car: Ford Racing exhaust
Old 1/4/06, 02:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the FRPP Borla exhaust and couldn't be happier with it- not to mention installation was a breeze