V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Ford Mustang Least Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/05, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRY reading the issues page of this forum not hard believe the Mustang is not up on quality or try reading my post on the 2005 issue page.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=38820
Old 12/19/05, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats a "Predicted" reliablilty rating. So I would not pay it to much attention.
Old 12/19/05, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, while we're on the topic, anyone want to guess how many miles you'll go before its time to shoot the horse, so to speak?

Or when it'll be time to reshoe it?
Old 12/19/05, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by VintagMustang302@December 19, 2005, 12:23 PM
TRY reading the issues page of this forum not hard believe the Mustang is not up on quality or try reading my post on the 2005 issue page.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=38820
I'm sorry to hear your problems... question is are they the exception or the norm? If everybody had these issues I'd agree with you in a heartbeat. Unfortunately circumstances like this are why lemon laws exist.
Old 12/19/05, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't get me wrong I was trying to make a stab at the topic with ill intent. I wish I had a working Mustang. Guess it just wasn't in the cards for me I guess.

But you have to say the 2005 Mustang has had a rash of issues.I havn't meet anyone who hasn't had any problems with their new Mustang. I read alot of other Forums and the American cars have pages and pages of issues (Like this one). Where other forums have a bunch of people complaing about a little rattle. Not having to replace every part of the car with in 5k miles to get it to run.

I really want Ford to get their act together I love the style and power of this car but I can't trust it.

Please FORD don't follow GM off the cliff.
Old 12/19/05, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

After reading a couple of the threads in the "issues" section I think a lot of people are unhappy with problems I personally consider normal for a low price car such as Mustang.

For example, I have a vert and there are all kinds of squeaks and rattles from the speakers, doors, dash, and probably other places.

When I drive over bumps in the road I hear a clunk coming from the rear suspension.

I can only get a 1/4 tank at some gas stations (ok this one is annoying sometimes).

I guess after owning a previous Mustang for a number of years, I have come to expect less out of the car than those who contributed to the report.
Old 12/19/05, 06:32 PM

i doubt any mustang owner bought their mustang thinking it would be the most reliable.. when you buy a mustang you are buying more than a car.. it's the pony.. the GRRR.. i'm not going to say mine hasn't had some problems.. but there is nothing i have HAD to get fixed yet.. although my gas tank is getting a bit unbearable.. if i can't do self serve (like when i am in jersey where full serve is mandatory), the attendant can't get fifty cents worth in without it stopping.. BUT i think they are just impatient with the nozzle and don't show love haha, which is my point.. if you own a mustang you must be patient and understanding because "with power comes great responsibility".. i would LOVE for the car to have no problems! but all in all, the good definately overweighs the bad.. when i am behind the wheel i am happy, secure, confident and plain old cocky.. i love my CD skipping/spitting non-fillable gas tanked mustang!!

reliable = boring, can't find your car in the parking lot, surrounded by clones, DULL.. i had an accord which is supposed to be great, and yeah they last.. but they have no character.. every stang owner puts a piece of themselves into their car.. mustangs could never be ranked reliable anyway, they are to ballzy and modded out to ever be economical OR practical..

let the "reliable" people buy a honda.. then have to feel like an **** for being in the same species as the cheesed out civic that pulls up next to them at a red light.. i would rather walk..
Old 12/19/05, 08:40 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason the Mustang is rated at the bottom of the CR reliability rating is that they don't make Camaros' and Firebirds anymore.

While I trying to be funny. There is a little truth to this
2004 CR: Camaro/Firebird not included. Mustang ~20% below avg, Mini-cooper 99% below avg in sporty car category)
2003 CR: Camaro/Firebird not included. Mustang ~37% below avg (last in sporty car category)
2002 CR: Camaro/Firebird 40% below avg, Mustang ~22% below avg
2001 CR: Camaro/Firebird ~50% below avg reliability (Corvette at 88% below). Mustang ~22% below avg

Another reason to bring the Camaro back
Old 12/20/05, 01:13 AM
Bullitt Member

That CR article is a load of crap. I've had my V6 for six months with absolutely no problems whatsoever. And saying the current-generation Monte Carlo is more reliable is BS.

BTW, Biff, what's with the double-post?
Old 12/20/05, 07:36 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It just seems to magically happen. Didn't mean to.
Old 12/21/05, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Consumer Reports is THE MOST biased publication when it comes to cars. ..more than road and track or motor trend

even with other electronics/etc they are never right

dont even listen to them when it comes to buying a toaster theyre always WAAAAY off
Old 12/22/05, 09:02 AM
GT Member

I hate to say it but after driving a new Civic Si I'm really considering switching @_@. The attention to detail is ridiculous. I love my car and it pains me to even think of it, but compared to a 4 banger with comparable numbers I can't help but wonder. I'm not making the switch, but that econobox does EVERYTHING right. Ford's engineers have a LOT to learn still.
Old 12/22/05, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

real mustang people dont even drive civics lol have fun farting down the road

your mustang license has been revoked..please hand over you keys and remember..ignore any problems in your Japanese car..because..its japanese so theyre not really happening..its all in your head =p

oh yea and dont get into a accident ..those things crumble..since they weigh nothing
Old 12/22/05, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Goliath@December 22, 2005, 12:05 PM
I hate to say it but after driving a new Civic Si I'm really considering switching @_@. The attention to detail is ridiculous. I love my car and it pains me to even think of it, but compared to a 4 banger with comparable numbers I can't help but wonder. I'm not making the switch, but that econobox does EVERYTHING right. Ford's engineers have a LOT to learn still.
They are nice but have all of their power up in the high rpm ranges. You'll miss the torque the Mustangs have.
Old 12/22/05, 02:27 PM
GT Member

I'm a car lover in general, I give credit where it's due. I love my mustang, but I am not blinded to overlook faults. I recognize faults with the civic too. If you offered me the keys to a new Lotus Elise in exchange for my stang, you'd have a nice gently used windveil blue stang on your hands :P
Old 12/22/05, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

lotus i s hideous.. but thats just me i dont like cars that looks like roaches =p

or foreign cars that look like household appliances
Old 12/22/05, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Goliath@December 22, 2005, 5:30 PM
I'm a car lover in general, I give credit where it's due. I love my mustang, but I am not blinded to overlook faults. I recognize faults with the civic too. If you offered me the keys to a new Lotus Elise in exchange for my stang, you'd have a nice gently used windveil blue stang on your hands :P
The quality and reliability is much better with a Mustang than a Lotus, I can tell you that.
Old 12/22/05, 06:00 PM
GT Member

my friend has a 2005 elise, he's not had any problems with it (he owns a sport bike dealership so he gets performance autos very frequently). he had a mid 90's one and it was the devil, but so far he hasn't had any problems and he's had it as long as I've had my stang. I recently 1 upped him when the seat release on my passenger seat broke off.

But my real feeling is this: while people with unwaivering devotion to the mustang do get it through it's darker years, they are also the same people who keep serious innovation and improvement from taking place, because there is that base that will buy it regardless. I mean I love MY mustang, and those that look like them, meaning the early stangs and the 05+ stangs. I don't care for the styling of the notch back or the most recent body all that much. I just wish that things like satellite radio and stuff would come at least as options for the price we're paying.

But seriously, i would love it if Ford would get their act together and overcome SIMPLE things that are wrong with the car, rattles, no inside trunk release, stuff of this nature, I mean that's just lazy and sloppy.

I'm done ranting.
Old 12/22/05, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had my 06 for 4800 miles now and its been problem free. I think that some of the kinks from 05 have been worked out for the new model year. The article might rank the mustang low on reliability, but they are new cars that will naturally have a few problems in small numbers. Oh, and to Goliath, please don't get a civic. The mustang is a classic and you can't say that about a civic. I understand your opinions about the car not being the most refined car out there. But the car is about muscular styling and power, not inerior bells and whistles! You can add satellite radio into the stereo I believe, it just doesn't come standard. There might not be a trunk release handle inside but you don't need one when you have a button on the set of keys that opens it. Oh, and the civic si might have about the same base power as the mustang but there is not much to build on. We can build up our engines to put out way more power than a civic couid even think about. Also, as mentioned before, they have no torque and don't get off the line very well. Not trying to get on your case here, just really don't want someone to get a civic over a mustang!!! Plus think about how good it feels driving a retro styled mustang. It feels cool doesn't it??!!! You wouldn't be able to say that driving a civic! Hope you keep your mustang man. :drive:
Old 12/23/05, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I have never had a problem with my V6. I have the dash "rattle" on the passenger side but thats what a stereo is for. As for the article....I wouldn't let it bother me. I bought the car because I love the look and I love Mustangs. Every one Ive ever owned had some "Character flaw"...Call it personality .

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Least Reliable?