V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Ford Mustang Least Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/05, 06:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone come accross this story on MSN?
http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?con...023544&src=News

They list the Ford Mustang v6 in the top of the least reliable sporty car / convertible.

Anyone have any idea why? I have had my '05 convertible for about 5 months and have had ZERO problems. :scratch:
Old 12/14/05, 06:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably based on past years.
Old 12/14/05, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Those CR reliability reviews are from the people who own each type of car. Apparently, Mustang owners who replied to the survey indicated they had at least some problems........
Old 12/14/05, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jimp@December 14, 2005, 8:13 PM
Probably based on past years.
From the article: "Vehicles marked with an asterisk "*" indicate data is based on one model year only." The Mustang V6 is marked with an asterisk.
Old 12/14/05, 06:57 PM
GT Member

I agree with them can't speak for everyone but i have had non stop sproblems with my car since i bought it last november. Besides all the TSB's i have had almost all the suspension replaced, yet it still makes noise. Oh well over christmas break i am going to try and inact the lemon law. Hope you all have had better luck. Love the car but 13 times to the shop and counting is rediculous.

Happy Holidays
Tyler
Old 12/14/05, 08:24 PM
GT Member

only problem I've had is that the seat release lever on the back of my passenger seat broke off. It's under warranty and is going to be replaced, no big deal though. And my shaker sucks, but it doesn't suck on MP3 CD's, which is pretty much all it plays, so I don't mind.
Old 12/14/05, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car has been great....so far.
Old 12/14/05, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ive got rattles out the wazoo on the interior around the dash, but I know if I take it in they're going to tell me its b/c of the exhaust drone and my subs. Ah well.

Had the remote switch on my passenger side window burn out, took Ford nearly four months to replace it. Thank God it burnt out in the "up" position.

Other than that my only complain is the fuel tank filling problem, which I seem to be getting more and more often these days. Not a big deal, rotate nozel (sp*?) a little and itll work most of the time. Its more irritating than anything. Cant have it fixed b/c of my duals. Other than that its just the average TSBs (havent had a single one fixed haha)
Old 12/14/05, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

A little bias twards japanesse cars? Worthless story, never believe microsoft.
Old 12/15/05, 05:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Shifty@December 15, 2005, 12:20 AM
A little bias twards japanesse cars? Worthless story, never believe microsoft.
Hope you're not serious. It's Consumer Reports, based on owner feedback.
Old 12/15/05, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

To quote their data:
"Reliable: Honda S2000, Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005), Lexus SC430, Chevrolet Monte Carlo (2005)
Not reliable: Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible, Mercedes-Benz SL, Mercedes-Benz CLK, Ford Mustang (V6)*, Chevrolet Corvette*, Audi S4"
Well, I'll take unreliable Mustang or S4 or 'Vette or CLK over Mx-5, M-Carlo or even S2000 any day. They have a lesser fun/practicality ratio in my book. Heck, I bet Camry is more reliable than Miata, but would you choose it even over Miata? When it comes to sporty cars reliability should be of a lesser concern than when you look at sedans. Sportiniess is more important then reliability, so while not maningless the report is definately not as important in my book. I had an Olds Cutlass Supreme, VW Fox, Camry and now Mustang. Sure, Camry was the most reliable and I sold it for good money at 148k miles. I knew that Mustang won't come close to that. However, Camry was booooring and The 'Stang if fuuun! So, guess what I am driving now? I bet I'll get grudgy when "The Horse" gets old and starts to get "sick", but I'll still enjoy it more than a "reliable" Miata. Just my 5c.
Old 12/15/05, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Only problem I have ever had is that rattle in the dash, seems to be by the passanger side of the front dash. Weird rattling and I can't seem to nail it down. Anyone figure out what it it in there? The same BS from the dealer for me if I brought it in - exhaust drone or some other BS excuses...Anyone have a fix other than turning up the radio -lol
Old 12/15/05, 10:23 AM
MSP
Banned

I have not had one single problem with my 2005 Mustang V6... I think this is a political marketing gimmick to dirty the name of the Mustang...

This article, based on my experience thus far is a load of crap...

I do understand that some guys have not been so lucky though.. So in their eyes it may have merrit..
Old 12/15/05, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Zodiac@December 15, 2005, 1:17 AM

....Other than that my only complain is the fuel tank filling problem, which I seem to be getting more and more often these days. Not a big deal, rotate nozel (sp*?) a little and itll work most of the time. Its more irritating than anything. Cant have it fixed b/c of my duals. Other than that its just the average TSBs (havent had a single one fixed haha).....

Your saying they won't fix the fuel tank filling problem because you put on duel exhaust? How come? Did dealer:

1. Try to tell you that dual exhaust voided the entire warranty on your whole car
forever and ever and they will never fix anything for you under warranty ever again....
or
2. Your dual exhaust is somehow interfering w/ what they would need to do to fix
the problem (maybe drop the fuel tank ) and because its aftermarket they cannot remove your aftermarket parts for no cost under warranty.
or
3. none of the above...

Could you please tell? Usually V6 mustangs have pretty mild mods and I hope that V6 owners are not getting unecessary pushback from dealers on mild modifications in reference to warranty repairs.

Eric.
Old 12/15/05, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I read the CUs articles. The mileage I get in my Honda Element is far better than the mileage they reported. They also reported that the Mustang V6 had worse rear visability and trunk room than the GT. I wrote them a letter. They replied that the GT was a coupe and the V6 was a 'vert (but forgot to mention that in the article). They also said thay put a gas meter in the fuel line to measure gas use. I still don't get it: I get 22/23 in town in the Element and 27/28 on the interstate - both far higher than what CU reports. Take what they say and compare with your own experience with vehicles. I had a GT - traded in..the new owner had it in the shop three times (once for a tranny leak)..but then the saleman told me the new owner (who has since traded 'my' 05 for a new 06) drives his cars fast and furious.
I'm NOT saying that people with problems are poor drivers or don't take care of their cars. For those members with repeated problems, I hope their state lemon laws help - not all dealers are fair and upfront.
Old 12/15/05, 05:00 PM

The only problem I've had is the front end strut noise which got fixed. I don't really count the Shaker stereo system as most factory systems are pretty much lousy compared to after-market stereos.

My car drones, whines, rattles and is not exactly quiet. I don't mind because it was reasonably priced, has good performance and looks darn good. Ford probably did cut corners to keep it's price down which is also fine with me. If they had made it as quiet, rattle free and as reliable as the S2000 or Lexus I would not have had enough money to buy it. I am quite pleased with my 'Stang.

Besides the car has only been out for about a year which is not enough time to establish it's reliability IMOO.

Just my two cents
Old 12/15/05, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by esorense@December 15, 2005, 6:19 PM
Your saying they won't fix the fuel tank filling problem because you put on duel exhaust? How come? Did dealer:

1. Try to tell you that dual exhaust voided the entire warranty on your whole car
forever and ever and they will never fix anything for you under warranty ever again....
or
2. Your dual exhaust is somehow interfering w/ what they would need to do to fix
the problem (maybe drop the fuel tank ) and because its aftermarket they cannot remove your aftermarket parts for no cost under warranty.
or
3. none of the above...

Could you please tell? Usually V6 mustangs have pretty mild mods and I hope that V6 owners are not getting unecessary pushback from dealers on mild modifications in reference to warranty repairs.

Eric.

2 --> the dual exhaust running under the drivers side sits right under the fuel tank, and they refuse to replace it unless I have it removed before I come in. Ive gotten this verdict at two different dealerships now, about 2 hours apart from one another, and just gave up on it b/c it really doesnt annoy me that much.

Basically, I went duals and am stuck with a faulty fuel tank as a result. Im just happy its nothing serious in this case, and only a mild annoyance every time I go to the pumps.
Old 12/16/05, 12:04 AM
GT Member

I had the same problem I had to pay 60 dollars because "the extra labor" involved in removing the left exhaust. I just paid it and wanted to be done with it.

Happy Holidays
Tyler
Old 12/18/05, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

My problem with Consumer Reports as far as reliability factors with cars and other items is the customer feedback part. My Dad gets the sheets every year to evaluate cars, appliances, etc. In over 10 years, I have never seen any verification letter or such from Consumer Reports to prove we own the items we rate. So if someone wants to really bad mouth a cerain product, it is easy. I think the amount of items mentioned should be stated. If only 10 owners out of a 100,00 respond and say an item caused them grief, the rating is low. Is that an accurate record? I read years ago where an owner of a car gave it a bad review because he had 4 flat tires in a month. All road hazard and he responded in a letter that the suspension was to blame? :scratch: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I have had my V6 Mustang for almost a year now and trouble free. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 12/19/05, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to agree that the data Consumer Reports is using is flawed. Whats really odd is that Car and Driver calls the new style Mustang one of the best while Consumer Reports calls it one of the worst. :scratch:

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Least Reliable?