V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/06, 04:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is... WOW!

The car is a monster! The best part is, I know there's still room in the tune, and this is only with the 7 psi pulley. I should be getting the 9 psi one any day now.

George at RPM Outlet is working on a custom tune. For now, he just sent me their stock ProCharger/V6 tune. I've been tasked with doing some data-logging for him, so he can fine-tune everything for me. I asked him to wait until I got the correct pulley on so I can get it right.

He also wants me to do a dyno run, and asked for me to schedule it with him so they can be available to tune, though I'm not sure what he meant. I'll find out tomorrow, since I didn't get his e-mail until late in the afternoon.

Looking back, the install wasn't too hard. Time-consuming... yes. Difficult? Not really. The hardest part was getting the tubing from the inlet of the IC to the outlet of the blower. It was a tight fit, but came out quite nicely.

Installing the injectors was a bit of a pain, too... mostly because they still leaked all over the place, even after bleeding the fuel system.

The TrueTrac and the ProCharger are a great combo! Even so, I still am all over the place if I jam the gas while making a turn. I'll have to take it easy for the next few days.

During normal driving, the boost is just there... kinda lurking in the background. I start to feel it at 3000, but it doesn't really start kicking in until 4000 or so. Since I'm at such a high altitude, I plan on working closely with the tuners at RPM Outlet to see if the 11 psi pulley is something I can run safely. I have a feeling I can, simply because of the lack of air here. It may help to make up for some of the power loss associated with this altitude. I would most likely have to change it back if I go back to sea-level, though.

Without further ado, here are some pictures. If you have any questions, please... fire away!

Old 3/4/06, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome!
Old 3/4/06, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I'm duely impressed man. You did it all yourself. What a monster. Keep us posted!
Old 3/4/06, 10:10 AM
MSP
Banned

Nice Job FlapJack! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] When does she go on the dyno? Also, are you going to dyno @ 7psi first then 9psi? Or just 9psi?
Old 3/4/06, 12:54 PM
V6 Member

Friggin Sweet Man [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Nice work! Was the operation bolt on or was there any fabrication?

Also, are the directions pretty straight forward?

I bet it helps not having to tap into the oil pan!!

Keep us posted on the dyno or better yet the 1/4 mile!
Old 3/4/06, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Man, im jealous lol. I cant keep lookin at these forums, im gonna end up witha turbo pretty soon.
Old 3/4/06, 04:21 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ March 4, 2006, 3:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Man, im jealous lol. I cant keep lookin at these forums, im gonna end up witha turbo pretty soon.
[/b][/quote]

Thats my most sincere wish Fazm! Is that you end up with a Turbo so we can go for each others juggler! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

@FlappyJacks

Also, a sound clip is of utmost important.. I need to hear the Procharger in action.. Just a quick idle video, along with a couple of good revs! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 04:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Thinkin bout scrappin the turbo idea, and doing a KB swap on the cobra. We'll see. Turbo six daily driver that runs 12s in street form would be fun. But a 9-10 second daily driver cobra sounds even more fun
Old 3/4/06, 04:35 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ March 4, 2006, 3:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thinkin bout scrappin the turbo idea, and doing a KB swap on the cobra. We'll see. Turbo six daily driver that runs 12s in street form would be fun. But a 9-10 second daily driver cobra sounds even more fun
[/b][/quote]

Nah you gotta stick with the six! The Cobra should never be touched.. Its worth more money that way... No the Six deserves to run 12's on pump gas and 11's with race gas.. Peronally, I wouldnt buy a Cobra with a KB blower on it, cause its a sign it has been abused.. It must be factory..

You get the turbo Fazm. You and I have unpaid bills that need to be paid.. The only way to pay them is on the track with ET Dollars.. I'll give you props for now on the 14.7 run N/A.. But when I make my deposits they will be deep 12's! The ET bank loves those deposits! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Unpaid bills? i dont think i have any lol. Unless thats a metaphor of some kind. The cobra probably wont be sold, unless after the test drive of a gt500, its so dramatically faster, that i must have it.
Old 3/4/06, 06:01 PM
Cam Tease

Fazm, the KB swap on the Terminator makes alot more sense. Why have two pretty quick but not neccesarily all that practical Stangs when you can have one mind-blowing Cobra when youre in the mood and a very sweet daily-driven six when youre not?

Modding either car will result in depreciation, but buying the Cobra had to have been a passion rather than sense driven purchase anyway, so why start looking at the car through the fiscal responsiblity value system now?
Old 3/4/06, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Resale doesnt bother me. Some mods increase value, but most decrease, and i know that. Im tryin to decide whats cooler. 10 second cobra, or a 11/12 second v6.

The 11 second v6 would definately be more rare, as plenty of 10 second terminators exist.
Old 3/4/06, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

Let me know what your dyno ends up showing, man!

Sounds cool, don't it? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 06:24 PM
Cam Tease

I'm not sure if one has much time to concern oneself with rarity when strapped to a 600hp vehicle, but I get what youre saying. Plus, there is no "wrong decision" here, so you can't lose.
Old 3/5/06, 12:28 AM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ March 4, 2006, 5:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Resale doesnt bother me. Some mods increase value, but most decrease, and i know that. Im tryin to decide whats cooler. 10 second cobra, or a 11/12 second v6.

The 11 second v6 would definately be more rare, as plenty of 10 second terminators exist.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly! Thats the key here.. Cobra's @ 600HP are not rare.. They are all over.. I went to get the Stang washed earlier this evening, and after I happend to run in to a Cobra club from my area.. Let me just say they were all awsome.. They all had nice exhaust, and sounded mean.. I was speaking with one guy at the light, who said his was stock, but the others were all 500+RWHP..

So your right Fazm, modding the Cobra to be better than other Cobra's is futile.. Not just that but its not rare at all.. The trick is an 11sec V6 Mustang.. Thats how you seperate yourself from the crowd.. Take Mike Bowens 11 Sec Turbo V6.. That thing could pretty much stand toe-to-toe with alot of V8's with Superchargers.. Thats indeed special I tell ya..

Thats all I'm looking for.. I know we can never claim to be the best or have the fastest... But atleast there wont be that many of us right away.. I'm sure in 3 or 4 more years, there will be 10sec SOHC 4.0's.. Thats fine, and I look forward to it.. But a good mid 12 to high 11 is good enough for me.. I figure if we can shoot for 400RWHP on race gas at the track, and anything 320RWHP or above as a daily driver, we're good..

So yes it would be easier for you to safely up the power of the Cobra.. An easy one would be to go to a 3" pulley as opposed to the 3.55in pulley thats on it now.. The 3" would garner you 417RWHP without even adjusting the computer.. Its a free upgrade.. But then who are you gonna impress? Certainly not other Cobra owners, they will expect much more from you than 500RWHP.. Hard to please..
Old 3/5/06, 12:35 AM
V6 Member

Either way Fazm, you win. It would be nice to see you make the V6 faster, but then again, it will take lees work on the Cobra. Having both to drive around in would be awesome, but a 12 sec V6 daily driver would be most impressive to have.
Old 3/5/06, 02:24 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ March 5, 2006, 2:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Exactly! Thats the key here.. Cobra's @ 600HP are not rare.. They are all over.. I went to get the Stang washed earlier this evening, and after I happend to run in to a Cobra club from my area.. Let me just say they were all awsome.. They all had nice exhaust, and sounded mean.. I was speaking with one guy at the light, who said his was stock, but the others were all 500+RWHP..

So your right Fazm, modding the Cobra to be better than other Cobra's is futile.. Not just that but its not rare at all.. The trick is an 11sec V6 Mustang.. Thats how you seperate yourself from the crowd.. Take Mike Bowens 11 Sec Turbo V6.. That thing could pretty much stand toe-to-toe with alot of V8's with Superchargers.. Thats indeed special I tell ya..

Thats all I'm looking for.. I know we can never claim to be the best or have the fastest... But atleast there wont be that many of us right away.. I'm sure in 3 or 4 more years, there will be 10sec SOHC 4.0's.. Thats fine, and I look forward to it.. But a good mid 12 to high 11 is good enough for me.. I figure if we can shoot for 400RWHP on race gas at the track, and anything 320RWHP or above as a daily driver, we're good..

So yes it would be easier for you to safely up the power of the Cobra.. An easy one would be to go to a 3" pulley as opposed to the 3.55in pulley thats on it now.. The 3" would garner you 417RWHP without even adjusting the computer.. Its a free upgrade.. But then who are you gonna impress? Certainly not other Cobra owners, they will expect much more from you than 500RWHP.. Hard to please..
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] There have been times I thought of trading in the 6 in the past, but now I am addicted to the challenge of making a performance 6. In my area, building a fast 6 stang is unheard of.
Old 3/6/06, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ March 4, 2006, 12:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Nice Job FlapJack! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] When does she go on the dyno? Also, are you going to dyno @ 7psi first then 9psi? Or just 9psi?
[/b][/quote]

I'm still waiting on an e-mail/call back from the ONE PLACE in Colorado Springs that has a dyno shop. I'm going to skip the 7 psi dyno run, since Belial already has a good take on what that'll get ya.

I'll be calling to today to see where the heck my 9 psi pulley is, and if they're going to throw an 11 in to make up for the delay! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

If I don't hear from the knuckleheads with the dyno soon, I may go up to Denver...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sundeep @ March 4, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Nice work! Was the operation bolt on or was there any fabrication?

Also, are the directions pretty straight forward?

I bet it helps not having to tap into the oil pan!!

Keep us posted on the dyno or better yet the 1/4 mile!
[/b][/quote]

Strictly bolt on. The only things you'll have to do outside of turning wrenches are cutting some of the rubber tubes they supply (two, I think) and soldering an extension onto the MAF sensor (six wires each side).

It's nice not to have to fill the oil pan, and the drain plug is not hard to get at either.

I'm more concerned with the 1/4 mile than the dyno (especially since it's cheaper, too!), but I'll mostly likely have both within the next few weeks.

I think the track in Pueblo (45 mins away) opens March 25th.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ March 4, 2006, 6:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thats my most sincere wish Fazm! Is that you end up with a Turbo so we can go for each others juggler! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

@FlappyJacks

Also, a sound clip is of utmost important.. I need to hear the Procharger in action.. Just a quick idle video, along with a couple of good revs! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

This weekend, at the latest... prolly a few burn out videos, too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Belial @ March 4, 2006, 8:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Let me know what your dyno ends up showing, man!

Sounds cool, don't it? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Unbelievable. I don't think I'll ever get tired of "the look". It's a cross between "wow!", "what is that?", and "something must be broken" (until they see me leave!).

Finally, this may be a bit off topic... but I've yet to post a good pic of my baby.

Old 3/6/06, 06:55 AM

@Flapjack,

I am duely impressed by your diligence and quaility of work on this project. I did have a question though, are you sure you want to go the mail order tune route with rpmoutlet? From what I read, and my personal dealings with thier tunes early on, they are far from reliable in this area, and the tuning a SC is significantly more complex than tuning for a CAI (which is how I dealt with them unsuccessfully).

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to look out for you seeing how well you've done thus far. It may be worth driving a good distance to a reputable tuner.

Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!