V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Dual Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/07, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Exhaust Question

So I take my V6 mustang into a shop around town to get dual flowmaster exhaust and he said he cant do it unless I get two "over the axel pipes" from Ford. Is this true. He said he can build an H-pipe but cant do it without the other pipes and he cant build the over the axel pipes because of the bending in the pipe. When I called around to get estimates from other shops they said nothing about getting other pipes from Ford. Any information from any other V6ers who got duals will greatly appreciated. Also what 40 series did you put on your V6: original 40, delta 40, super 40, or super 44? Are you happy with the sound? Is it deep or ricey? I know we have V6's but I don't want it to sound ricey at all like all the other import lawnmowers out there. LOL!!
Old 9/18/07, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silstang23
So I take my V6 mustang into a shop around town to get dual flowmaster exhaust and he said he cant do it unless I get two "over the axel pipes" from Ford. Is this true. He said he can build an H-pipe but cant do it without the other pipes and he cant build the over the axel pipes because of the bending in the pipe. When I called around to get estimates from other shops they said nothing about getting other pipes from Ford. Any information from any other V6ers who got duals will greatly appreciated. Also what 40 series did you put on your V6: original 40, delta 40, super 40, or super 44? Are you happy with the sound? Is it deep or ricey? I know we have V6's but I don't want it to sound ricey at all like all the other import lawnmowers out there. LOL!!
Yes it is true, you will need over the axle pipes. Some shops can custom bend a set for you, but it sounds like yours will not. Look at this picture http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/images/sfm65.JPG see the part between the x pipe and the mufflers? those are the over the axle pipes. You can check the For Sale section to see if you can get some GT takeoff ones, or buy them from ford, or buy a kit like that includes the crossover pipe (x pipe, h pipe, or y pipe) of some form and has the over the axle pipes with it. As far as mufflers go, Ive got the Borla/FRPP Stingers on mine with an X-Pipe and it sounds awesome, very low deep rumble and very loud and throaty at WOT. People dont believe me when I tell them my car is a V6. Even on the V6 though these mufflers do drone a lot. If I didnt get the stingers I would have tried the SLP Loudmouths out.
Old 9/18/07, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm about to do the same install......thanks!! I going with Magnaflow X-Pipe and Flowmaster American Thunders. I'll keep you posted on what my shop says!
Old 9/18/07, 08:29 PM
GT Member

This is a stupid question. But I see WOT all the time when talking about exhausts on the forum. What does it stand for? LOL..
Old 9/18/07, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is a stupid question. But I see WOT all the time when talking about exhausts on the forum. What does it stand for? LOL..
Wide Open Throttle (basically when you are flooring the car)
Old 9/18/07, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Get MagnaFlows Dual Exhaust Kit #16605 for the V6.
Old 9/18/07, 11:19 PM
GT Member

Oh...DUH!! Why didn't I think of that???....lol
Old 9/22/07, 01:55 PM
GT Member

You only have to get the left side mid pipe from ford as the right side will not need to be replaced (its already the same size and bent the same). I bought the left side pipe and had my muffler shop fabricate a h-pipe and used take-off GT mufflers.
Old 9/22/07, 02:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I converted my wife's 06 V6 to duals 2 weekends ago. I used a MAC Prochamber that was made especially for the V6 with 2 1/4 inch inlets and 2 1/2 outlets. I got it slightly used off ebay for about $160 shipped. The rest is OE GT duals. I had the driver's side midpipe left over from my 05 GT and the rest (mufflers, collar clamp and 2 hangers) from Casco, when I got my GT rear bumper, painted rocker panels, front bumper, grill & fogs. The duals sound great with the MAC Prochamber. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Dual Exhaust Question-dsc04255.jpg  
Old 9/22/07, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
I converted my wife's 06 V6 to duals 2 weekends ago. I used a MAC Prochamber that was made especially for the V6 with 2 1/4 inch inlets and 2 1/2 outlets. I got it slightly used off ebay for about $160 shipped. The rest is OE GT duals. I had the driver's side midpipe left over from my 05 GT and the rest (mufflers, collar clamp and 2 hangers) from Casco, when I got my GT rear bumper, painted rocker panels, front bumper, grill & fogs. The duals sound great with the MAC Prochamber. Here's a picture.
The only prochamber kits Ive seen say they require using their longtube headers as well. Also the MAC one is listed as an off road pipe, and Id really prefer to keep the cats in place if possible. Did the one you used keep the stock cats? And also did you need the longtube headers? I ask because I want to use a prochamber on my car but keep my cats and not change the headers just yet.
Old 9/22/07, 07:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by S197 V6
The only prochamber kits Ive seen say they require using their longtube headers as well. Also the MAC one is listed as an off road pipe, and Id really prefer to keep the cats in place if possible. Did the one you used keep the stock cats? And also did you need the longtube headers? I ask because I want to use a prochamber on my car but keep my cats and not change the headers just yet.
Yes, I kept the cats. Installing the prochamber required cutting the y-pipe just in front of the exhaust hangers, which is behind the cats. Then the prochamber just slipped over the cut pipes and I secured each joint with a clamp. The install was pretty easy. My MAC Prochamber is Part Number: PC2250 (2005*-2007 V6 Mac Pro-Chamber, 2.25" in, 2.5" out, *2005 only if manufactured after 8-30-05) Below are some pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails Dual Exhaust Question-1-1-.jpg   Dual Exhaust Question-2-1-.jpg  
Old 9/22/07, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Yes, I kept the cats. Installing the prochamber required cutting the y-pipe just in front of the exhaust hangers, which is behind the cats. Then the prochamber just slipped over the cut pipes and I secured each joint with a clamp. The install was pretty easy. My MAC Prochamber is Part Number: PC2250 (2005*-2007 V6 Mac Pro-Chamber, 2.25" in, 2.5" out, *2005 only if manufactured after 8-30-05) Below are some pictures of it.
Thanks for the info! I may have to look into getting one of these. Does anybody know what the "*2005 only if manufactured after 8-30-05" means? I went to MACs website and they have the same disclaimer. I got my car before 8-30-05 so Im wondering what exactlythe problem may be with the early model cars.
Old 9/25/07, 01:19 PM
GT Member

I bought Pypes X-Pipe, mid pipes and two GT take off mufflers. I am very happy with the sound as well as the appearance. It does not sound anything like a Ricer.
Ford sells the X-pipe kit for V6s now. You can also go to Pypes or V6MustangStuff.
GT takeoffs can be purchased fairly cheap from various classified sections as well as eBay.
Old 9/25/07, 10:22 PM
V6 Member

Dont get flowmasters, they sound raspy/ricey in person.

Me and a friend compared our exhausts in person, he had a Dual exhaust set up with Flow master american thunders, While i only had the Boomtube from ninosport. Mine sounded much beefier and louder compared to his, and he had duals :/. He changed his setup to Dual boomtubes and sold his Flow masters on ebay.

heres a clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIOFN4ZtwFA
Old 9/26/07, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Go on the Magnaflow site and listen to the sound clips.
Old 10/1/07, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by poldrv
Get MagnaFlows Dual Exhaust Kit #16605 for the V6.
I have this kit on my '06 Mustang. I like the sound of it, good basic dual look set up, probably the easiest of the set ups. If you're looking for a true dual exhaust set up, you would want to stay away from this kit.