V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Dual Exhaust Install Question...

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/05, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am taking the car in for dual GT takeoffs to be installed next week & need a VERY important question answered. I am a bit scared to do a "true" dual lset-up on the V6 as I am starting to hear hesitation on this idea. Am I better off doing a "reverse Y" setup running from the right side pipes? Looking for ANY info on this (diagrams, horror-stories, suggestions, etc.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TIM
Old 7/21/05, 04:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by timgriffeyfan@July 21, 2005, 5:30 PM
I am taking the car in for dual GT takeoffs to be installed next week & need a VERY important question answered. I am a bit scared to do a "true" dual lset-up on the V6 as I am starting to hear hesitation on this idea. Am I better off doing a "reverse Y" setup running from the right side pipes? Looking for ANY info on this (diagrams, horror-stories, suggestions, etc.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TIM
I went with the Y setup because of the same concerns. I didn't need any problems, and I heard some negative thoughts about it. I was going for the sound and the look, and I got what I wanted. No regrets with the reverse Y.

Hope this helps.
Old 7/21/05, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dont go the "true dual" rout. Its not worth it. You are going to lose alot of backpressure. Alot. These engines are highly dependant on backpressure for performance and.. well, you see where Im going with this. A reverse Y-pipe is the savest way to go, but alot of people have gone with Xpipes as well. I havent seen any dyno charts reflecting performance with these, but I believe they should be fairly save as well. Xpipes tend to breathe easier in the higher rpms than other midpipes, so you're going to see a gain there. The other option would be an H-pipe. You're going to get more of a classic car sound with this pipe, and see more torque gain down low rather than higher up. With X and H pipes, make sure they're placed correctly for the right savenging effect. As a general rule of thumb, the closer a midpipe is to the cats, the higher the low end torque, the farther back, the more high end. For best performance, the pipe should be placed where the gasses are the hottest between the two pipes. If the car is sitting cold, you can take a can of spray paint and lightly coat the pipes. Start the car, run it lightly and watch where the paint burns off first.. that should indicate where the pipe should be placed.

Phew, does that answer everything?
Old 7/21/05, 05:08 PM
Cobra Member

I would go the reverse- Y if you can, BUT I did end up with true duals w/ GT mufflers and if there is any loss in power I sure can't detect it. I actually requested the reverse Y when I took it in, but the shop was concerned about proximity of the crossover to the driveshaft and ran the new left pipe all the way up to the headpipe instead. So I have true duals with the factory Y acting as a crossover. Gas mileage is exactly the same, performance seems the same. It sounds good and I have two mufflers out back, that's what mattered to me I couldn't stand one tailpipe out back.
Old 7/21/05, 06:09 PM
GT Member

I went with duals with an h-pipe. I have noticed some drag but I really can't be sure. I drove it into work yesterday to really give it a chance and I just really can't be sure if I've lost power. It does sound good though. Which is what I really was going for. Zodiac's post was very informative... My crossover pipe is right behind the cats. Didn't do the paint test though, just trusted the guys at the shop to do the right thing.

I've had no problems to-date with my duals and crossover setup. Sometimes I think I've lost power, other times I don't. Not much help am I?
Old 7/21/05, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

These folks pretty much nailed it. There was a good discussion on this before. Look for the Magnaflow single and dual exhaust pics thread on the next page. A lot of good info.
Old 7/22/05, 06:23 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tres Wright@July 21, 2005, 7:11 PM
So I have true duals with the factory Y acting as a crossover.
Not sure I would consider your setup as true duals since you still have the y-pipe installed.

My 1st try, the mechanic cut the y-pipe and ran straight back to the mufflers - this to me is true duals. But that setup was horrible. Went to a different shop and they fixed the situation after I bought a Bassanni x-pipe. Much better. Louder, but better.

To answer your question Tim, go the reverse y route. JBA has a mac back setup using the reverse y pipe...
Old 7/22/05, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

==Not sure I would consider your setup as true duals since you still have the y-pipe installed.==

If your definition of true duals is separate pipes on each side with no crossover, then you're right about that. What I mean was I had originally requested a reverse Y, which basically would have been a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust setup. They ended up tying into the headpipe just past the cat, so I have duals running all the way out now. True duals with kind of a funky crossover :P
Old 7/22/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Tres, thats really, really weird. Its like a slanted h-pipe or something.
Old 7/22/05, 09:01 PM
V6 Member

Still want a few more opinions so gonna bump this back up... Thanks guys.
Old 7/22/05, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

I added a custom reverse Y after the first Y pipe, Less proplems with warranty issuses later if it ever arises. Plus so far all the aftermarket duels are using Y pipes. You figure with all their time and research and that is what most are doing, I'll go with that way too....Just my 2 cents worth