V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

dual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/07, 12:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual conversion

Hey everybody! I know you all have heard this question before, but reading through past threads haven't really answered my questions. I am just wanting to know how easy (or hard) it would be to install a GT dual exhaust system on a V6. I could get one of the V6 dual kits, but I am looking for the least expensive route, budget doesn't allow for too much right now, dang taxes and bills! I've seen GT takeoffs going pretty cheap. If you have any links to past posts or just your 2 cents it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 4/16/07, 03:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The h pipe is usually cut form the Gt behind the cats however the midpipes and mufflers are slip ons. I do not know if the complete GT exhaust with cats will fit the V6. I think once you look at price a conversion kit is going to run you about the same. I was looking at pypes and their x or h pipe with midpipes is not that expensive. The Ninosport conversion may be a little cheaper since it is a mid pipe that basically turns the Y into an X. I have included pics of both systems below.

Old 4/16/07, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Buddy went with a local muffler-shop, they custom-welded a second pipe and just used a second V6-Exhaust... You might be looking into something like this at a local shop as well, whole set-up cost 200.00 (incl. parts and labour)...
Attached Thumbnails dual conversion-3.jpg   dual conversion-4.jpg   dual conversion-5.jpg  
Old 4/16/07, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I investigated doing this and it added up to too much....What I planned to do was get a gt take off exhaust with midpipes off of ebay...then buy 2 hangers for the left muffler from pypes at 32.95 a piece. I would then buy the xpipe from pypes as well for 108 bux. If you want it to look nice you could then for I think 40 dollars get 4 inch tips from pypes. Thats pretty much all you need, other than like 20 bux of clamps
Old 4/17/07, 06:04 AM
V6 Member

I've had mine for over a year. I went the route you referenced - GT Mufflers (eBay) + 1 GT midpipe (FOMOCO) + Hangers (FOMOCO). I cut the eyebrow myself and had a custom exhaust shop install and form the H. Total cost including installation - around $300.
Attached Thumbnails dual conversion-dual_small.jpg   dual conversion-h_small2.jpg   dual conversion-dual_small2.jpg  
Old 4/17/07, 07:27 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for taking the time to give me some info. I appreciate it and it helps a lot.

Thanks again
Old 4/17/07, 10:07 PM
GT Member

The only bad thing about getting a local shop to do it is, It won't be mandrel bent which is more efficient and better on HP. I bought a magna flow (500.00) mandrel bent and stainless steel which is another good point, if your local shop does it it will be aluminized! not stainless, you can get stainless but they will probably have to order and will cost!!!! dont no where you live, but, there is another option junkyard! I'm in NC you can't buy an exhaust legally, but in your state you might be able. I'm sure there's got to be some S197s wrecked.

Hey RACER3 R U going to Mustang Week?
Old 4/18/07, 05:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustangcr8z
The only bad thing about getting a local shop to do it is, It won't be mandrel bent which is more efficient and better on HP.

Hey RACER3 R U going to Mustang Week?
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...c/DSCF0157.jpg
This is true and that is why I insisted on the GT OEM midpipe - it is stainless and mandrel bent. The only portion of my exhaust that isn't stainless is the tie in and the H.

Mustangcr8z, I'm looking for an excuse to head to the beach and Mustang Week just might be the ticket.
Old 4/18/07, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

racer!!! ahhh.....what did you do! The guy didnt have a mendrel bender!!....do you c those tight restrictive bends in your h pipe! ARGH!
Old 4/18/07, 06:44 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only thing i dont like is the welds. my system is the gt left pipe and magnaflow x-pipe. at the rear of the x i used clamps. so that the whole system basicly comes off just like factory. worked out good when the replaced my tank.
Old 4/20/07, 05:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
racer!!! ahhh.....what did you do! The guy didnt have a mendrel bender!!....do you c those tight restrictive bends in your h pipe! ARGH!
I was referring to the OEM Midpipe, which is mandrel bent. The tie-ins were not mandrel bent. The tie-ins aren't as radical as they appear.
Attached Thumbnails dual conversion-h_small.jpg  
Old 4/27/07, 11:31 PM

For Those Who Like The Xpipe Ford Racing Has One And Thats The Route I'm Going ,along With Gt Mid Pipe And Ill Just Slap On The Driver Side Roush Exhaust .i Now Have Just One On And I Think It Sounds Great But For Now Driver Side Muffler Is In The Box......