V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Different "popping" question

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/05, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the popping noises from the front suspension when turning at low speeds...

My car has this problem (I'm hoping that Ford will figure out a fix) but a strange thing happened yesterday. I made a trip to the pet food store to stock up on food for our three large dogs (a German Shepherd and two Golden Retrievers - all "require" different types of food) and so I put about 100 pounds of dog food in the trunk. On the way home I noticed that the popping was gone. After I removed the load the popping stayed away for the next few trips but was coming back when I put the car up for the day.

I don't know what practical use to make of this, but it might suggest a temporary fix to someone who has more knowledge about the 2005's suspension than I do. Any ideas?
Old 3/31/05, 08:24 AM
GT Member

WOW... interesting... we just need to carry 100 lbs. of Purina in the trunk..... Still, good observation.
Old 3/31/05, 02:09 PM

Ford is coming out with a fix for it soon. The popping is a strut bearing issue but I'm clueless as to why weighting down the rear would make it stop.

On another note I have to admit the only thing that I have a complaint with is the fact that the car in general and the manual transmission in particular makes a lot of odd noises. It makes every kind of whirring, whining, clunking, ticking, clanging and vibrating sound you can imagine. That's not surprising because there doesn't seem to be any kind of sound dampening insulation anywhere in the car. I plan on remedying that situation in the very near future. Other than the noises it makes it's a great car and I love it!
Old 3/31/05, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting, has been a common problem, or isolated to just a few ?
Old 3/31/05, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by vb101@March 31, 2005, 2:12 PM
Ford is coming out with a fix for it soon. The popping is a strut bearing issue but I'm clueless as to why weighting down the rear would make it stop.

On another note I have to admit the only thing that I have a complaint with is the fact that the car in general and the manual transmission in particular makes a lot of odd noises. It makes every kind of whirring, whining, clunking, ticking, clanging and vibrating sound you can imagine. That's not surprising because there doesn't seem to be any kind of sound dampening insulation anywhere in the car. I plan on remedying that situation in the very near future. Other than the noises it makes it's a great car and I love it!
My V6 manual makes a lot of the same noises you describe. I am not sure if all of these are "normal" or not. I'd love to hear opinions on this.
Old 4/11/05, 02:29 PM

I am having this too on my v6 manual. It seems to be getting louder. Not good. I am having flashbacks to my Dakota making a smiliar sound. Then they had a recall because people's tires went flying off. joy!
Old 4/17/05, 05:24 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have been listening closely-
Mines more a Click Click than POP. I have the pop too mind you..

It POPS when I back up and put it in reverse. If I back out of my garage and then park it, the pop. Or leaving a parking spot...

It clicks on driving=Sounds like a loud second hand on a clock.

It seems to act more of a fool the warmer it is, yesterday on the way home and this morning it acted more of a fool than usual. It doesn't affect its driving ability, its just annoying.
Old 4/18/05, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by redjrd@April 11, 2005, 3:32 PM
I am having this too on my v6 manual. It seems to be getting louder. Not good. I am having flashbacks to my Dakota making a smiliar sound. Then they had a recall because people's tires went flying off. joy!
Try turning the A/C off and see if you get the popping sound. I think the popping in my car is coming from a space in the A/C clutch. I was going to take the car in this weekend but got lazy and decided to put it off till next week.

As for the other sounds, mine makes all the groans and clanks also. I thought that was just the way I was driving or that it had to be broken in (just bought the car a week ago).

Also I notice my brakes squeel every time I slow to a stop.
Old 4/18/05, 03:58 PM

Haven't had the AC on. It's been pretty nice here in Austin so I have had the windows down. I will keep my eyes out for a possible release from FORD.
Old 4/20/05, 05:02 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

That brake squeal is kind of embarassing......I have had it since day 1.
Old 4/20/05, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

i have the brake squeal also. seems to come from the rear passenger side. other than that i had a rattle coming from the glove box area. turned out to be the kick panel along the door rail vibrating against the side of the dash. pulled it back a bit and rattle is gone.
Old 4/20/05, 03:40 PM

I'm thinking about making the dealer replace the brakes (shoes and drums) to see if I still get the squeel.