V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Diablo Tuner kit

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/06, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of buying one, isn't it possible to just visit someone who has one of these tuners and kindly ask to use it? Getting an intake kit is one thing, but I don't think it's necessary for mustang owners to have to each own a tuner for their car. Anyone here from Houston who's got this tuner? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Chris
Old 2/18/06, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 18, 2006, 6:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Instead of buying one, isn't it possible to just visit someone who has one of these tuners and kindly ask to use it? Getting an intake kit is one thing, but I don't think it's necessary for mustang owners to have to each own a tuner for their car. Anyone here from Houston who's got this tuner? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Chris
[/b][/quote]

A tuner can only be used on one car, it will actually marry it self to your car until you return it to the stock tune.
Old 2/18/06, 07:12 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 18, 2006, 5:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A tuner can only be used on one car, it will actually marry it self to your car until you return it to the stock tune.
[/b][/quote]

Oh snap! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

One more question then:

On a stock v6: if the automatic does 0-60 in 7.3s (or so), how does the manual compare? I'm assuming one could probably reach sub 7s 60's with a manual, but that might be a stretch?
Old 2/18/06, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 18, 2006, 9:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh snap! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

One more question then:

On a stock v6: if the automatic does 0-60 in 7.3s (or so), how does the manual compare? I'm assuming one could probably reach sub 7s 60's with a manual, but that might be a stretch?
[/b][/quote]

If you are an auto you want to get a SCT from a really good tuner, like Doug or Lidio. In fact, I think Lidio is markerting the famous "Johns Barbaric Shifts" setup. LOL.
Old 2/18/06, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Suppose you had $1000 to spend on v6 buildup. What would you get?

I'm assuming:
An aftermarket dual exhaust going for around 450.
-and-
Which one of these products?
http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm
Old 2/18/06, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 18, 2006, 11:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I'm assuming:
-and-
[/b][/quote]

C&L CAI/SCT-2 combo from BamaChips or Alternative Auto: $650.
Custom dual exhaust with GT take off mufflers: $350?
Old 2/18/06, 08:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Intake, tuner, exhaust. Im pretty sure thats the best route you can go.

FYI, i hit a 6.55 0-60 in my 5 speed when it was bone stock.
0-60 in the auto was tested at 6.9

Im not a pro by any means, but i do consider myself above average
Old 2/18/06, 08:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 18, 2006, 9:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Dang. Prolly upper 5's with the exhaust and intake tune? That would sound pretty good.
Old 2/18/06, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

thats a long shot going for upper 5's Im sure i might be able to do a 6.0-6.1 with the mods i have right now, and maybe a high 5 after my lca's and muffler installed. (and shifter)
Old 2/18/06, 08:26 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 18, 2006, 9:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
thats a long shot going for upper 5's Im sure i might be able to do a 6.0-6.1 with the mods i have right now, and maybe a high 5 after my lca's and muffler installed. (and shifter)
[/b][/quote]

Well, as long as near a whole second can be shaved off for a $1000.
Has anyone gone a different way to shave off time by losing car weight? The whole point is lbs/hp, so it's also possible to cut weight instead of adding power. However, the car doesn't weigh much to start with, so is this at all practical for the mustang?
Old 2/18/06, 09:09 PM
Cobra R Member

it weighs a lot actually. im sure you can lose 200 lbs by losin the back seat, passenger seat, spare tire, jack, and different K member, LCA's, UCA's, etc.
Old 2/18/06, 09:12 PM

base model at 3300lbs. pretty good considering a C class is at 3500.
Old 2/18/06, 09:17 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL, you cant compare a fat benz to a mustang. Lightweight is a corvette, cobalt SS, etc etc.

Mustangs are definately considered overweight. a Benz would be considered suffering from obesity lol.
Old 2/18/06, 09:24 PM

The C-class is far from 'fat'. You do know which mercedes I'm talking about, right? The one that's even smaller than the Mustang?

The BMW 3 series weigh around 3300lbs, which is like a Mustang. If the BMW is the ultimate driving machine, then 3300 must be a pretty good weight. Hence, the Mustang is not too shabby in the weight deptmnt.

The Cobalt is a piece of crap. Only 300lbs lighter than the Mustang.
Old 2/18/06, 10:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes, i know what a c-class is. And you are comparing a german car, which is built different. It is built to be heavy, in a small frame. And weight keeps a car smooth at higher speeds, hence the ultimate driving machine. Not just fast, not just quick, but all around, the ultimate.
Old 2/19/06, 04:55 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 18, 2006, 10:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I'm assuming:
-and-
[/b][/quote]

Only do the dual exhaust if you like the looks... as Rygen has shown, not much of a gain going from the single Y-pipe to a dual using an X-pipe. If you have a limited budget and are trying to get the most performance I would skip the duals...

So here would be my list:

SCT X-Cal2/C&L CAI combo - $660 (from Lidio at www.alternativeauto.com or Doug at bamachips)
MRT single axle back exhaust - $225 (http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/mrtaxleback.php)

Those couple of things will really wake your car up! And it's under your $1,000 budget... I would then start saving your money to do some rear end work... new differential for sure and possibly gears....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 18, 2006, 10:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I'm not a pro... I just play one on the Internet! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 10:22 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 19, 2006, 5:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Only do the dual exhaust if you like the looks... as Rygen has shown, not much of a gain going from the single Y-pipe to a dual using an X-pipe. If you have a limited budget and are trying to get the most performance I would skip the duals...

So here would be my list:

SCT X-Cal2/C&L CAI combo - $660 (from Lidio at www.alternativeauto.com or Doug at bamachips)
MRT single axle back exhaust - $225 (http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/mrtaxleback.php)

Those couple of things will really wake your car up! And it's under your $1,000 budget... I would then start saving your money to do some rear end work... new differential for sure and possibly gears....
I'm not a pro... I just play one on the Internet! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Great! Thanks.

I have no idea where Lidio lives, but I'm assuming the tuning can be done personally? Does Lidio offer his own program for the v6? If I get the CL cai and mrt exhaust, I would probably be running the same program as you are (sans the underdrive pulley), right?

Chris
Old 2/19/06, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 19, 2006, 12:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great! Thanks.

I have no idea where Lidio lives, but I'm assuming the tuning can be done personally? Does Lidio offer his own program for the v6? If I get the CL cai and mrt exhaust, I would probably be running the same program as you are (sans the underdrive pulley), right?

Chris
[/b][/quote]

Alternative Auto is in Mount Clemens, Michigan... just north of Detroit...

Yep, you'ld get the same basic tune as me... except mine has had the shift points changed a little and the shift firmness set to "Barbaric!" LOL!
Old 2/19/06, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Iam also Running the" John's Barbaric Shifts" set up and must say it does make a diference over the original Lidio Tune. I havent taken it to the track yet, but its chirping the tires as it goes into 3 , which it did not do before, feels great. Kris listen to these guys, I did and ended up more than happy with my ride. Good Luck
Old 2/19/06, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Puerto Rico 4.6 @ February 19, 2006, 1:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Iam also Running the" John's Barbaric Shifts" set up and must say it does make a diference over the original Lidio Tune. I havent taken it to the track yet, but its chirping the tires as it goes into 3 , which it did not do before, feels great. Kris listen to these guys, I did and ended up more than happy with my ride. Good Luck
[/b][/quote]

Been meaing to ask you for an update on the shifting... keep me posted!!!

Quick Reply: Diablo Tuner kit