V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Detroit TrueTrac Self-Install > Any Pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/06, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After long consideration, I've decided to go with the Detroit TrueTrac for my rear end. I'll be keeping the stock gears.

Can anyone give me some pointer on installation? ...or did everyone have a shop do it?

Here's what I've been able to glean from the forums and various suppliers:

1) I'll need some synthetic 75W-140 gear oil...

2) Installation involves setting the backlash correctly...

3) I'll need a set of bearings (Timkin?), though I'm not sure which ones to ask for...

4) ...and?

I plan on taking it to the Auto Hobby Shop at Peterson AFB and renting the lift for $4 an hour. They're awesome at "coaching" you through stuff like that, so I'm not too worried. I just wanted to check with you guys first to see if there's anything else I should know about.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 2/7/06, 10:18 PM
Cobra R Member

ill send ya the dvd [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] just shoot me a pm, ive got plenty of copy's, im havin fun with my dvd burner tonight lol
Old 2/7/06, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome! PM sent!

I'm getting really excited now. I just got the shipping notification for the tuner, plugs, injectors and pump. It's scheduled for delivery on the 10th, just one day after my birthday!

The timeframe they got from the guys at ProCharger on shipping is somewhere between 1-2 weeks. Hopefully I'll have the TT in by then!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 8, 2006, 12:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ill send ya the dvd [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] just shoot me a pm, ive got plenty of copy's, im havin fun with my dvd burner tonight lol
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/8/06, 07:29 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 8, 2006, 12:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Awesome! PM sent!

I'm getting really excited now. I just got the shipping notification for the tuner, plugs, injectors and pump. It's scheduled for delivery on the 10th, just one day after my birthday!

The timeframe they got from the guys at ProCharger on shipping is somewhere between 1-2 weeks. Hopefully I'll have the TT in by then!
[/b][/quote]

COOL - if you got the tt from dts - almost certain you will have it by then . They were great customer service.

Don't forget to take lots of pics !!
Old 2/8/06, 03:19 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$4 an hour huh, I need one of those here
Old 2/9/06, 01:56 AM
Bullitt Member

To tell you the truth, I wasn't very impressed with DTS. Sorry, Screamin...

For one, the guy spent about 20 minutes trying to convince me that I shouldn't get the TT, and that I should order a 8.8" GT rearend, upgraded from stock of course, at a price well over a grand.

Once I assured him I would not be purchasing the 8.8", he moved to inform me that the TT was $412 before shipping and handling. I mentioned their site had it listed at $382, and he told me the webmaster was sick. Sure enough, the next day it was up to $412 (check Google's cache for the $382 amount). Not to mention they have them on back order.

It sounds to me like they got so many references from here and the Mustang Forums, they decided to take advantage of us. Uncool.

Since Hamid had such good luck with Fast Specialties, I called them. They would not match DTS, but they did match Summit at $435, and actually had them in stock. Summit did not.

I paid a little more, but it was worth the professionalism I received from Amber at FS.

It should be here Friday or Monday.
Old 2/11/06, 10:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 9, 2006, 3:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

For one, the guy spent about 20 minutes trying to convince me that I shouldn't get the TT, and that I should order a 8.8" GT rearend, upgraded from stock of course, at a price well over a grand.

Once I assured him I would not be purchasing the 8.8", he moved to inform me that the TT was $412 before shipping and handling. I mentioned their site had it listed at $382, and he told me the webmaster was sick. Sure enough, the next day it was up to $412 (check Google's cache for the $382 amount). Not to mention they have them on back order.

It sounds to me like they got so many references from here and the Mustang Forums, they decided to take advantage of us. Uncool.

Since Hamid had such good luck with Fast Specialties, I called them. They would not match DTS, but they did match Summit at $435, and actually had them in stock. Summit did not.

I paid a little more, but it was worth the professionalism I received from Amber at FS.

[/b][/quote]

I don't blame you there...i'm a very easy-going guy, but NOTHING ticks me off faster than trying to purchase something, when I've done my research, and know EXACTLY what I want, and having some sales-weasel try to talk me into something "better" ("Better" meaning: "whatever they have too many of in the warehouse")

I would have gone someplace else too...
Old 2/12/06, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torch_Vert @ February 12, 2006, 12:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't blame you there...i'm a very easy-going guy, but NOTHING ticks me off faster than trying to purchase something, when I've done my research, and know EXACTLY what I want, and having some sales-weasel try to talk me into something "better" ("Better" meaning: "whatever they have too many of in the warehouse")

I would have gone someplace else too...
[/b][/quote]

In this case, it was worth the few extra bucks I spent. Acutally, $43 extra bucks.... oh well. They didn't have it in stock anyways. I'd have had to wait an extra week or two. Fast Specialties had it in stock, and I should get it tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 2/13/06, 06:38 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 13, 2006, 12:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
In this case, it was worth the few extra bucks I spent. Acutally, $43 extra bucks.... oh well. They didn't have it in stock anyways. I'd have had to wait an extra week or two. Fast Specialties had it in stock, and I should get it tomorrow or Tuesday.
[/b][/quote]

It's sad that DTS has taken that kind of attitude. ALOT of us have orderd from them and they have been , atleast in my case, extremely easy to deal with and shipped same day. I guess sometimes it's not that hard to get greedy [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] Why is it so many companies now adays get that way or just forget everything there is about customer service. Kinda reminds me of a certain west coast company (grills...) that recently has turned its back on its customers. Well thats a shame - they will most certainly loose valued customers that way!

Nonetheless - It's great that you found the TT and you will not be dissappointed by the result [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] Just ask Fazm and he'll tell you the difference. The car will start to feel more and more like a muscle car when you hit gas and the whole rear end starts gripping - not just the one tire spinning ...
Old 2/19/06, 03:02 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(screaminyellin6 @ February 13, 2006, 8:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It's sad that DTS has taken that kind of attitude. ALOT of us have orderd from them and they have been , atleast in my case, extremely easy to deal with and shipped same day. I guess sometimes it's not that hard to get greedy [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] Why is it so many companies now adays get that way or just forget everything there is about customer service. Kinda reminds me of a certain west coast company (grills...) that recently has turned its back on its customers. Well thats a shame - they will most certainly loose valued customers that way!

Nonetheless - It's great that you found the TT and you will not be dissappointed by the result [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] Just ask Fazm and he'll tell you the difference. The car will start to feel more and more like a muscle car when you hit gas and the whole rear end starts gripping - not just the one tire spinning ...
[/b][/quote]

I can't wait. I'll hopefully install it on Tuesday. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 2/19/06, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 9, 2006, 4:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Actually, going to an 8.8 wouldn't be a bad idea. I spent $1200 upgrading my 7.5. If I had known I could get an 8.8 for just over a grand I would have gone that route.
Old 2/19/06, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 19, 2006, 8:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Actually, going to an 8.8 wouldn't be a bad idea. I spent $1200 upgrading my 7.5. If I had known I could get an 8.8 for just over a grand I would have gone that route.
[/b][/quote]

Tell me about, I came to this same revelation a few days ago. 8.8 might still be in my future though.
Old 2/19/06, 06:22 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 19, 2006, 8:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

That was a rough estimate. I wasn't interested enough to have him give me a real quote. He just said "a little over a grand" to get me talking about it, I think.

Not to mention, you paid $1200 for the TT, gears AND installation. I paid $450 just for the TT, and will install it myself.

If you were looking at an 8.8" rear end, along with something better than the stock internals, you'd be looking at quite a bit of money, I'd guess.
Old 2/19/06, 12:48 PM
Cobra R Member

I paid $721 for my TT, gears, and install. Even if i paid for the gears, itd be under a grand total. And im sure that will make it just as strong as a stock 8.8. Granted an 8.8 built the same way will be much stronger.