V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Is a change worth it after all these years?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/16, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a change worth it after all these years?

Hey all,

I have owned and loved my 2005 Black V6 Mustang since it was purchased new in early August of 2005. The car has crazy low miles and is still babied to this day. I have gotten to know the car for 10 years and like it as is, but the idea of possibly doing some light modding has crossed my mind recently. Right now other than an exhaust the car is basically stock. At this juncture though I'm not sure doing anything would really be worth it or warranted. What are some of your thoughts if you were in this situation?
Old 1/2/16, 03:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but...

If you've babied it and kept it low mileage for resale value purposes, you don't want to mod. Mods rarely (pretty much never) help your trade in\resale prospects.

If it's just because you like to baby it\keep it low miles for its own sake, then whether or not it's worth it is entirely up to you, and depends on what kind of mods you have in mind.

Personally, in my experience with V6 Mustangs, the only mods that were really worth it were suspension and styling (wheels, paint, body, etc). Suspension and styling can make it look and feel like an entirely new car if done well. Exhaust you already have taken care of, assuming you like the sound of it. A good tune will probably make a fair bit of difference for you, more from having the auto tranny tuned than anything else. Unless you just like the way it sounds, or how it looks under the hood, I wouldn't bother with a CAI. It can make a difference, but not enough of one that you're honestly going to feel it at all. Engine performance wise, aside from the tune, I don't know that it's worth doing anything less than a full turbo or supercharger set up. Not that you can't get gains from other things, just that the cost to get even just a fraction of the power forced induction can bring makes it more cost effective to just go with the blower in the first place. I only got the CAI in my GT because I like the sound, it pairs fantastically with the Corsa exhaust. I doubt I picked up much power at all (doesn't feel much different than just the tune, tbh, just a nice deep induction sound at WOT from the front end).

Whatever you decide, remember that only you can determine what is or is not "worth it" to you. Best of luck.
Old 1/2/16, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE="esfkotaro;6960255"]Just my personal opinion, but...

If you've babied it and kept it low mileage for resale value purposes, you don't want to mod. Mods rarely (pretty much never) help your trade in\resale prospects.

If it's just because you like to baby it\keep it low miles for its own sake, then whether or not it's worth it is entirely up to you, and depends on what kind of mods you have in mind.

Personally, in my experience with V6 Mustangs, the only mods that were really worth it were suspension and styling (wheels, paint, body, etc). Suspension and styling can make it look and feel like an entirely new car if done well. Exhaust you already have taken care of, assuming you like the sound of it. A good tune will probably make a fair bit of difference for you, more from having the auto tranny tuned than anything else. Unless you just like the way it sounds, or how it looks under the hood, I wouldn't bother with a CAI. It can make a difference, but not enough of one that you're honestly going to feel it at all. Engine performance wise, aside from the tune, I don't know that it's worth doing anything less than a full turbo or supercharger set up. Not that you can't get gains from other things, just that the cost to get even just a fraction of the power forced induction can bring makes it more cost effective to just go with the blower in the first place. I only got the CAI in my GT because I like the sound, it pairs fantastically with the Corsa exhaust. I doubt I picked up much power at all (doesn't feel much different than just the tune, tbh, just a nice deep induction sound at WOT from the front end).

You must not own a 3.7 V6!

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/5/16 at 07:51 PM.
Old 1/3/16, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

esfkotaro,

Thanks for the response. I agree with you on your points which is why I'm not looking to go crazy with modding. Honestly all I was thinking was possibly a tune. I was looking at this tuner on American Muscle: http://www.americanmuscle.com/x4-cus...er-0510v6.html Does this require a CAI? Not of fan of how those look. I have been thinking about this for a long time and the reviews on it are great. I'm not looking to go crazy just give my car a little more umph. I like how that tune can go back to stock at any time too. I'll be honest. I recently bought a 2014 Buick Regal which, despite the name, is a German sports sedan based on an Opel. While I know the cars are 10 years apart it pretty much out-performs the Mustang in every way! Suspension might not be a bad idea to look into, but one at a time! Thanks for your input.

Mike
Old 1/3/16, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
That is what I said when I bought my 07 v6. I have since done basically a full change over actually. I redid my interior to the factory pleather, dash cluster to mycolor, oem navigation radio, added 2013 Boss steering wheel with functioning steering wheel controls, and more. It wasn't that expensive, other than adding the CS/GT front and rear fascias (paint was as much as the items).

This has been my toy to play with, and I have. The base v6 S197 (2005-2010) is only worth xxx dollars, no matter how the shape is. By doing clean, nicely done mods, it can help enhance the resale. It depends on how wild you go, when it comes to getting rid of it down the road. Too far, and no one with money wants it. Too little, and you get smaller bids. You have to find a happy medium that will make the buyer want your car over someone elses. Gaudy doesn't make it, usually. lol
Old 1/4/16, 06:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I, too, have had my 2005 V6 for over a decade (just over 11 years actually). "Is it worth it" to mod it, isn't really a valid question. Unfortunately, at this point, our cars are worth so little that any mods you make will make very little difference to the price. I don't plan to ever sell it, so I've never worried about that though.

I've basically only done mods that I could get a good deal on. So many mods are just way overpriced. So far I've got CAI, tune, black 9-bar grill, GT front fascia, projector/HID headlights, and a few little things here and there. I don't regret any of them.

And I certainly know how you feel comparing the new car to it. My Fiance just bought a new 2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6 a few months ago. I'm sad to say that it's not only faster, but everything about it is so much nicer. 10 years makes a huge difference in quality, standard features, and especially technology. But I still love my car just the same.
Old 1/4/16, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 05blackV6
esfkotaro,

Thanks for the response. I agree with you on your points which is why I'm not looking to go crazy with modding. Honestly all I was thinking was possibly a tune. I was looking at this tuner on American Muscle: http://www.americanmuscle.com/x4-cus...er-0510v6.html Does this require a CAI? Not of fan of how those look. I have been thinking about this for a long time and the reviews on it are great. I'm not looking to go crazy just give my car a little more umph. I like how that tune can go back to stock at any time too. I'll be honest. I recently bought a 2014 Buick Regal which, despite the name, is a German sports sedan based on an Opel. While I know the cars are 10 years apart it pretty much out-performs the Mustang in every way! Suspension might not be a bad idea to look into, but one at a time! Thanks for your input.

Mike
This is what I had done to my V6 when I had it. The mufflers on there were very nice as they are the same mufflers on the Bullitt so it was very quite at all times unless I didn't want it to be quiet.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.co...KeyField=10070

The only reason I bring this up is because when I spoke with the guys at BAMA they had said that the tune wouldn't add any more power than the Ford Racing ProCal tune would. chances are though all they would do in the tune is change a few things but mess with the throttle so that you have the feeling of more power than you actually do. It is a pretty common trick that tuners use to give this amazing sensation of added power.

As for their tune, you don't need to get a CAI to go with it, but it would only make added power if you do chose to go with one.
Old 1/4/16, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would like to see some pictures of your gorgeous stang?
Old 1/5/16, 04:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
if you love the car still(like I do mine) and think some dress up/mods would make you even happier with it, go for it... you can add 'plus $2000 modifications' or whatever to your insurance to help cover your losses just in case, for just a few bucks a year...

got my first one december 05, still gotta say best car ive ever had as far as a joy to drive-or even just look at...got a tuner last year, shoulda done it long ago, perks it up quite a bit, a buddy gave me a set of magnaflows off his shelby, sounds pretty good, put a fang/aeroform shaker hood, SHR grille inserts,louvers, and just bought their rear medallion too... several tries later, settled on AR torq-thrustII wheels in 17x8, with fat/tall nitto 450 275-50-17 rears, made bumpstops and added airbags inside the springs before the big trip out west last year(5800 miles, 4 people/luggage, bounced around some 'truck only' roads up in the mountains without rubbing anything), like the 'hotwheels' look over the lowered look, to each his own...
Anyways, hope this car outlasts me- dont want to ever replace it, but if it gets wrecked/stolen, tree falls on it, it wont owe me anything- its been a wonderful car all these years(except fords stupid hood paint bubbling) and am just thankful to have been fortunate to enjoy it for a full decade (so far), with a lot of luck a few more decades maybe?
only thing, 'old' car book values dont carry sentimental value in the least- '+mods' on the insurance at least sets it at a more realistic value...wheels/hood/exhaust/tune/trim pcs, easy to pile 3-4k in parts on one in a few years time... add to insurance to protect yourself in case some fool totals it- might save the car by the extra value over book total, or at least get you some of your investment back.

my wife preferred heres bone stock, but I bought the SHR medallion, offered it, she hem-hawed around till I put it on mine- so got her one too, and one to toss in the 09s trunk too
Attached Thumbnails Is a change worth it after all these years?-kansas-rest-area2-dsc01094.jpg  

Last edited by ford4v429; 1/5/16 at 04:23 PM.
Old 1/5/16, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I really do appreciate all of the input guys! I still love my car and always will. I have no intention of selling it. The long term goal God willing is to have it in my garage next to a Viper some day . My overall goal in upgrading the car a bit is exactly that ford4v4. To make the car even more fun to drive. I have no need for crazy performance mods. My thought is from everything I have read about tuners that it will "wake up" more of the potential of the car performance wise. That is all I am looking for.

Other than the I'm interested in improving the handling. I have some nice roads up here and when spirited driving is permitted I would like a more stable and less rolly feeling. I know a set of sway bars (I'm thinking SR) will help that greatly. I have a friend who has a modded Fox Body. He is trying to convince me to also looking into getting Koni adjustable rear shocks. I would love to improve the ride of the car, but I can see this becoming a never ending battle. First rear shocks, then struts, etc. Considering what I am looking to do what would really be the most logical option? I'm willing to go a little further if it would really be worth it for me.

Thanks again for all of your advice!!! It is greatly appreciated.
Old 1/5/16, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey all,

I have owned and loved my 2005 Black V6 Mustang since it was purchased new in early August of 2005. The car has crazy low miles and is still babied to this day. I have gotten to know the car for 10 years and like it as is, but the idea of possibly doing some light modding has crossed my mind recently. Right now other than an exhaust the car is basically stock. At this juncture though I'm not sure doing anything would really be worth it or warranted. What are some of your thoughts if you were in this situation?
What are you looking to achieve with your car?
Old 1/5/16, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Here you go Rodmustang. Sadly I realized that I actually don't have any really good pictures of my car, a bunch of crappy Cell ones but few good ones. I got a nicer camera recently. I'll have to take some glory shots after a detail!!

Old 1/7/16, 09:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I thought I was looking at the picture of when I brought mine home. Same color, stripes, wheels, spoiler, spinner caps, and lower rocker panels. I'll bet you have a power drivers seat and Shaker 500 also. That, less the leather and IUP, is an exact duplicate of my 07 when I bought it.
Old 1/7/16, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
My son was in your same situation. Had a 2006 Mustang Pony V6. He started to mod then found a 2014 V6 keep in mind that the 2014 has a 300 HP plus v6. It has a ton of mods very well taken care of low mileage 18k and still under warranty and he purchased it for less than 20K. Taken in account they gave him 7k for his car it was a no brainier.

He was going to either get a turbo or a V8 swap. Now he is racing and winning against older v8 cars.

What are you looking for in your Mustang. I personally think the older ones like yours look the best.

Good Luck
Old 1/8/16, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
I would probably go with rear gears or the tune without a new intake first. The tune will wake things up a bit, firmer shifts and a little more pep. Third would be springs, shocks, struts, and wheels after that.
Old 1/9/16, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here you go Rodmustang. Sadly I realized that I actually don't have any really good pictures of my car, a bunch of crappy Cell ones but few good ones. I got a nicer camera recently. I'll have to take some glory shots after a detail!!

That's a nice looking mustang, I would keep it!
Old 1/9/16, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
There's always a solution

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ne-mod-531999/
Old 1/11/16, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. I fully intend to keep it. I love this car and it isn't going anywhere. I've been talking with a friend of mine who has a modded mustang. As I said I just want to make the car a little more fun to drive as well as improve the ride quality and handling. To that end I think I have decided to do the following: Bama tune, SR Sway bars, KONI shocks and struts (Non-adjustable as I do not race.) What are your thoughts on these options?

Again thanks for all your input and support!
Old 1/11/16, 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Those are good options and I see no problems with them. One thing tho, the 16's you have with the 215's on them, won't do much for the ride or driving pleasure. That was one of my very first changes. The tires are 65 series, so you have so much side wall flex when going on spirited hills or corners. It makes for very loose conditions at the rear of the car.

If you want to save money, find the sway bars off the 2011 and up GT's. Those are so much better than the 2008 Bullitt ones I installed. I went with the 2011 GT bars last year, and talk about a difference. Corners are very easy to follow now. When I had the Bullitt sways, it was nice and tight, but switching from the 08 to the 11 swaybars, makes a very big difference. It was a bit stiff before, but now it is perfect. The ride doesn't go away, and if you need to use the car to make a quick move, it will handle the stress. Ford has it together with the 11-14 suspension upgrades over the 05-09's.
Old 1/12/16, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
I think you are on the right path if you are not going with lowering springs. You will see a good improvement just from adding the sway bars. If you can swing the sway bars first, I would like to hear your impressions about the upgrade. Are your current shocks/struts leaking at all? You may change your mind about them after installing the sways

Quick Reply: Is a change worth it after all these years?