V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

CAI Review: Tunable Induction

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/05, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I switched to SCT, most of you will remember I posted up numbers for my auto with my mods listed below. As you know, my HP goal was something closer to 193 and I am currently at 190rwhp sae. Well, I put the exact same post on multiple Mustang boards I frequent. Well on one of them, a vendor actually offered to help me reach my goal. John Demolet, with Tunable Induction offered to ship me his system, no cost up front to see if his SCT/CAI combo with his tunes will hit my goals (or any combination of the three). Well I opted to go with his CAI, and if it does make 193 or break 193, then he will sell it to me at dealer cost…which is really inexpensive.

So, sometime next week, I should have the new Tunable Induction CAI for the V6. I’m keen to test it as it includes a maf tube (my current CAI does not). Once I get it I will take it over to Excessive so Chris can tune it.

John also has some NGK Iridiums, so I had him throw those in as I will need them later. So, sometime next week, you can expect some dyno’s with the new TI CAI w/professional tune.

I know I promised some dyno’s before/after true duals, and I will do this, but this opportunity just landed in my lap and I couldn’t pass it up. I’ll keep anyone posted.
Old 12/22/05, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 22, 2005, 8:53 AM
When I switched to SCT, most of you will remember I posted up numbers for my auto with my mods listed below. As you know, my HP goal was something closer to 193 and I am currently at 190rwhp sae. Well, I put the exact same post on multiple Mustang boards I frequent. Well on one of them, a vendor actually offered to help me reach my goal. John Demolet, with Tunable Induction offered to ship me his system, no cost up front to see if his SCT/CAI combo with his tunes will hit my goals (or any combination of the three). Well I opted to go with his CAI, and if it does make 193 or break 193, then he will sell it to me at dealer cost…which is really inexpensive.

So, sometime next week, I should have the new Tunable Induction CAI for the V6. I’m keen to test it as it includes a maf tube (my current CAI does not). Once I get it I will take it over to Excessive so Chris can tune it.

John also has some NKG Iridiums, so I had him throw those in as I will need them later. So, sometime next week, you can expect some dyno’s with the new TI CAI w/professional tune.

I know I promised some dyno’s before/after true duals, and I will do this, but this opportunity just landed in my lap and I couldn’t pass it up. I’ll keep anyone posted.
sounds interesting... looking forward to seeing/hearing the results...

One thing I noticed about the C&L was while it did slightly out perform the MMR on the dyno, the C&L was a LOT better on the street... Based on what I see on the dyno I was shocked by the difference the C&L made while driving... so even if the new CAI isn't much better than your current set up I would take it out for a test drive too...

New plugs, huh??? hmmmm.... (oh, by the way our stock plugs appear to be a cooler range and mine have held up incredibly well after 30 passes and a dozen dyno pulls on the juice...)
Old 12/22/05, 07:58 AM

Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to it and I will definitely take it for a test run. Besides, the filter is red, vs. the blue one I have now....and with a red plenum cover in the future, red racing stripes at least it will look cooler. LOL.

I remember you saying our stock plugs are just fine, but I figured since he had them, might as well have a look.
Old 12/22/05, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Let me know how that works out for you. I've contemplated switching over to C&L from AEM based solely on the 83mm MAF housing. I need to get my car professionally tuned and not just canned tuned @_@
Old 12/22/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rygen... how very cool of John! I had emailed him a few times and he seemed like a good guy. I was really considering the Tuneable Induction intake... They've had great results in the GT world. I think it may just get you to your goal! Good luck!
Old 12/29/05, 04:14 PM

Ok guys, time for an update on this one now that I’m back from the in-laws (and putting up with my wife’s grandmother for 3 days, sucked major #$@). Ok, well, I was planning on unveiling a few things this week, but they all got shot to heck when Excessive called me today to let me know my parts are in, but the dyno got 300 gallons of water in it. So they are building a new concrete housing for it, and it is expected to be finished by late next week. So it looks like the week following that, around Monday or Tuesday I will have some dyno’s to post for the following:

Stage I

• TI CAI
• Dyno

Stage II

• NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
• Zex 2005 GT Base Kit
• Zex Racers Kit
• Dyno

Following this I will prove to Scrming that true duals will give me a gain (or die trying). LOL. But to let the cat out of the bag I have officially bought the juice for my car (and Excessive confirmed all parts did arrive). More details to come once Chris at Excessive gets his dyno fixed.

Later.
Old 12/31/05, 01:51 AM
Bullitt Member

How are you going true duals?

All my parts are in, just need to find the time to get-r-done

Ive got a GT H-pipe, left side mid pipe, GT mufflers, and all the oem ford clamps and hangers.

Im cutting my Y-pipe just foreward of the 2 hangers that are on the tranny crossmember. Thats the same spot the GTs H-pipe connects to the cats.

Once Im done I will have an exact replica of the GT system. Im guessing 15-20 rwhp.

I think that true duals, intake, and tuning will put most cars auto or 5 speed somewhere between 190-200 rwhp.

If I can find a dyno in Memphis, I will see what just the duals are worth.
Old 12/31/05, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

I hope you're right about 15 to 20 rwhp but I suspect you're not gonna see numbers close to that. From information posted on this and other forums it doesn't sound like duals will provide a significant performance improvement on the 4.0 motor.
Old 12/31/05, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with Martimus... duals might be good for 10 rwhp
Old 12/31/05, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Martimus@December 31, 2005, 11:21 AM
I hope you're right about 15 to 20 rwhp but I suspect you're not gonna see numbers close to that. From information posted on this and other forums it doesn't sound like duals will provide a significant performance improvement on the 4.0 motor.

I was talking with Scott Hoag from MRT about their V6 SEMA car with the Twin Turbo setup... I noticed it was still a single exhaust... When I asked why the car didn't have dual's on it he simply said "It doesn't need it" So... take that for what it's worth...
Old 12/31/05, 03:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's speculation until someones tests backpressure of their dual setup.

Performance wise you want ideally about 1-1.5PSI measured at idle. If it's considrebly less that one, then there isn't enough backpressure, and fresh fuel can escape through the exhaust valve during overlap.
Old 12/31/05, 03:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by scrming@December 31, 2005, 1:42 PM
I was talking with Scott Hoag from MRT about their V6 SEMA car with the Twin Turbo setup... I noticed it was still a single exhaust... When I asked why the car didn't have dual's on it he simply said "It doesn't need it" So... take that for what it's worth...
Did it have the stock sized pipe or was it larger?
Old 12/31/05, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

ManEHawke
Performance wise you want ideally about 1-1.5PSI measured at idle. If it's considrebly less that one, then there isn't enough backpressure, and fresh fuel can escape through the exhaust valve during overlap.
I have heard the above almost word for word also can't remember where but I remember reading it. Hopefully Rygn/op's will prove one way or another on true duals with Dyno results.

Rygn good luck with the TI CAI.

scrming

By any chance do you know if it was a 3" modded single exhaust system on that Twin Turbo setup?
Old 12/31/05, 04:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 31, 2005, 6:54 PM
I have heard the above almost word for word also can't remember where but I remember reading it. Hopefully Rygn/op's will prove one way or another on true duals with Dyno results.

Rygn good luck with the TI CAI.
By any chance do you know if it was a 3" modded single exhaust system on that Twin Turbo setup?

My understanding is it was still the 2.5 exhaust...
Old 12/31/05, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Jimp you kill me man, I swear you and I think to much a like, just about every time I read you're post I am shaking my head in agreement with you. I don't reply alot of times because you either said what I would have or I just wait for you.
Old 12/31/05, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

My understanding is it was still the 2.5 exhaust...
Wow if the above is true I am in a little shock and awh. you would think with a T/TT you would aleast want to go 3" single or duals 2.25 or maybe 2.5's

The reason I ask also is because Mike (Powerhouse) e-mailed me saying he has a 3" single exhuast system you can also purchase for his Turbo.
Old 12/31/05, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 31, 2005, 7:03 PM
Wow if the above is true I am in a little shock and awh. you would think with a T/TT you would aleast want to go 3" single or duals 2.25 or maybe 2.5's

The reason I ask also is because Mike (Powerhouse) e-mailed me saying he has a 3" single exhuast system you can also purchase for his Turbo.

Next time I talk to Scott I'll be sure to ask more about the exhaust...
Old 12/31/05, 06:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by TJ06@December 31, 2005, 7:59 PM
Jimp you kill me man, I swear you and I think to much a like, just about every time I read you're post I am shaking my head in agreement with you. I don't reply alot of times because you either said what I would have or I just wait for you.
LOL! Scary huh?
Old 12/31/05, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by scrming@December 31, 2005, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear that... I have faith in Scott Hoag's knowledge of the Mustang.
Old 1/1/06, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by BurntPony@December 31, 2005, 3:54 AM
How are you going true duals?

All my parts are in, just need to find the time to get-r-done

Ive got a GT H-pipe, left side mid pipe, GT mufflers, and all the oem ford clamps and hangers.

Im cutting my Y-pipe just foreward of the 2 hangers that are on the tranny crossmember. Thats the same spot the GTs H-pipe connects to the cats.

Once Im done I will have an exact replica of the GT system. Im guessing 15-20 rwhp.

I think that true duals, intake, and tuning will put most cars auto or 5 speed somewhere between 190-200 rwhp.

If I can find a dyno in Memphis, I will see what just the duals are worth.

I plan on using the prochamber for my true duals.

Quick Reply: CAI Review: Tunable Induction