V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

CAI help needed

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, a friend recently bought a 05 V6 pony, and Ive been thinking about picking him up a gift. Now I know this topic has been exhausted to no end...but Im stumped . Im trying to decide which one to get that will not require a tune, but a X2 will be added at a later date...once I talk him into it Hes a little hesitant about that right, but within time he will learn.. lol

Ive been reading here for a couple hours, and I cant decide which one. I know the C&L is a sweet piece, but I read that needs a tune, right off the bat.

Ive seen the AFE, seems pricey not to include the intake tube, but also seems as if it makes power. Ive looked at the K&N CAI, and I see thats ~7hp hain. I also looked at the Airaidl, and the S&B as well.And if I have this right, the AEM CAI is nice looking, but offers no HP gain at all, is that right?
I just cant decide, and dont want to get one that wont show any difference in HP.

As you can see, Im kinda stumped here, and could use a little advice from you folks. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. I never thought it would be this hard to decide which to go with, I would love some real world advice, and opinions before I lay down some cash.
Thanks for any help.
Old 2/24/06, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, you're right about the AEM... pretty, but no gains. The C&L will definetly need a tune. Out of those that don't need a tune, I'd choose the Airaid (looks great under the hood - very muscular - and, I'm told, has some nice gains, but I don't know how much) The K&N would be a second choice. I don't like the idea that you have to cut a stock part just to install it... seems like lazy engineering on K&N's part.

If you can swing it, the X-cal 2 might be a better gift... then your friend can add whatever intake down the road.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how your friend likes the gift!
Old 2/24/06, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's a different route (it depends on how good of a friend he is [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] )...

Get him the Xcal2! It will improve the car more, and then the CAI can be added later (or not).

It's the best $400 you can spend on an 05/06 V6 (especially if it's an automatic).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hamidlmt @ February 24, 2006, 1:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes, you're right about the AEM... pretty, but no gains. The C&L will definetly need a tune. Out of those that don't need a tune, I'd choose the Airaid (looks great under the hood - very muscular - and, I'm told, has some nice gains, but I don't know how much) The K&N would be a second choice. I don't like the idea that you have to cut a stock part just to install it... seems like lazy engineering on K&N's part.

If you can swing it, the X-cal 2 might be a better gift... then your friend can add whatever intake down the road.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how your friend likes the gift!
[/b][/quote]

Jinx..owe me a coke! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the replies guys [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Funny thing is, I wanted to get him the X2, but hes a little hesitant on messing with that right now. And yes, the car is an Auto, he's been complaining about the shifting...lol which of course would fix that for him.
Old 2/25/06, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Allright..I went with the Airaid for him.
He going to think about the X2 and go
from there. Either way, my job is done..lol
X2 is up to him, he will learn.
Old 2/25/06, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05STG1 @ February 24, 2006, 1:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
thanks for the replies guys [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Funny thing is, I wanted to get him the X2, but hes a little hesitant on messing with that right now. And yes, the car is an Auto, he's been complaining about the shifting...lol which of course would fix that for him.
[/b][/quote]

The X-Cal2 is a MUST HAVE mod for the automatic... LOL! It makes a night and day difference.... has he tried doing a burnout yet... LOL
Old 2/25/06, 03:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 25, 2006, 5:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The X-Cal2 is a MUST HAVE mod for the automatic... LOL! It makes a night and day difference.... has he tried doing a burnout yet... LOL
[/b][/quote]

John is right. And not only that but even if the CAI says no tune required it will still benefit from a tune.