V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Buying a True Dual Kit from Newtakeoff.com or Pypes?

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/10, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Buying a True Dual Kit from Newtakeoff.com or Pypes?

The selling price is low but so is the fitment, read this before you shell out good money for an inferior product.

After confirming with both Diversified Marketing/Newtakeoff.com and "Pypes" that their True dual V-6 exhaust system would work on a lowered 2005 I ordered and installed the true duals kit from Newtakeoff.com on my 05 last year. Ever since then I have had axel to mid pipe clearance issues ever since. Just about every bump in the road would cause the axel to slam up against the exhaust pipe.

I called Pypes technical help department and they said is no way that the axel will hit the pipe above it. I showed them pictures of the dents in the pipe to prove it. After many hours on the phone with them and dozens of my install photos they could not offer me a solution other than bring it to them in Pennsylvania for an evaluation, an 800 mile round trip for me - - good thing I don't live in California.

The situation was finally resolved by Da Silvas Racing shop in Toronto but certainly not with any help from Pypes or Newtakeoff. It turns out that the "Pypes" mid pipes are junk, and neither company is willing to take ownership of the midpipes being out of specification.

Below are some pictures I took of the useless junk that was in the Newtakeoff/Pypes kit. After seeing my photos the miopic tech boys at Pypes still say they have a product that works.
I ended up using a set of GT Ford mid pipes and now have plenty of axel to pipe clearance.
There is a 3 inch difference in the rise between the Ford O/E and Pypes part, you gotta be dumber than a bag of hammers not to see that the "Pypes" mid pipe is not going to work.

The last photo is Joe Da Silva holding the Ford pipe beside the Pypes part for comparison. Joe who also writes technical articles for Mustang magazines is very well known in Mustang tuning and drag circles. He even tried to talk to Pypes teckkies for me about the problem and they blew him off for intervening, some customer service they have.

Any one with a lowered Mustang should seriously reconsider using that system, even a stock Mustang will have interference issues at extended suspension travel.

Last edited by kechke; 1/8/11 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11/7/10, 08:40 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
thanks for the info...I had thought about putting duals on the wifes car, wont be going that route!
Old 11/7/10, 10:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that is a huge difference, thanks for sharing.
Old 11/7/10, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow! That's a big difference and I'm surprised that a company like Pypes would take the stance they did.
Thanks for posting this information.
My 2005 V6 is lowered approx. 1 inch (Steeda Sport springs) and I'm running the JBA true duals for a few years now with no clearance problems.
Old 11/7/10, 11:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Great pics.
Thanks for the info.