V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Blue Oval STB

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/06, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Oval STB

Last night I installed the Blue Oval Strut Tower Brace. It went on really easy and looks good but there seems to be an issue. Right away I noticed that it pushes into the hood liner a lot, and after a few hours the liner is pushed all the way in to the hood itself. When the hood is closed I can't really see any bulge but can feel pressure when I run my hand over the hood.
Is this going to be an issue or will I just have to deal with it? Is it going to do damage or anything? Do you think there is any way for me to just bend it a little so that it is a bit straighter and doesn't press in so much while still clearing the engine? Thanks.
Old 6/15/06, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrews0915
Last night I installed the Blue Oval Strut Tower Brace. It went on really easy and looks good but there seems to be an issue. Right away I noticed that it pushes into the hood liner a lot, and after a few hours the liner is pushed all the way in to the hood itself. When the hood is closed I can't really see any bulge but can feel pressure when I run my hand over the hood.
Is this going to be an issue or will I just have to deal with it? Is it going to do damage or anything? Do you think there is any way for me to just bend it a little so that it is a bit straighter and doesn't press in so much while still clearing the engine? Thanks.
I would talk to BlackLX4.0, he just installed his. I wonder if he has the issue as well.
Old 6/15/06, 08:10 PM

I've got this STB. Mine does press into the liner a little bit. It is not pressing he hood up or anthing so it's all good. I've had it on for about a month now and all is well. The only impact is a tighter front end in the turns
Old 6/16/06, 03:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here, it's pressing into the liner but not the hood. If you're really worried, pull the liner off and put baby powder on the STB. This way you can see if it touches the hood. I don't think it will.
Old 6/16/06, 03:21 PM
GT Member

No issues w/ Steeda STB

I installed the Steeda V6 STB w/ no problems. I purchased my Steeda STB 2 months ago. Some of the earlier v6 Steeda STB's had the same problem described here. The current Steeda STB's are bolt-on and do not press into the hood liner or the hood.

IMHO if the STB is pressing hard enough into the hood liner it will eventually cause a problem. I'd return your STB for an exchange, unless you are handy w/ bending metal. STB's are straightforward and it may be possible to fix this yourself w/ a bit of fabrication.
Old 6/17/06, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by andrews0915
Do you think there is any way for me to just bend it a little so that it is a bit straighter and doesn't press in so much while still clearing the engine? Thanks.
If you bend it your going to weaken it and lose the reason for its existance. strut tower braces are to keep the strut towers in a parallel position in hard cornering, I personally don`t think its needed unless your a SCCA TransAm car. The unibody on these cars are the ultimate. Thank you Ford Motor Company.