V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Auburn LDS and 3.73 gears installed and dyno

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops.. wrote LDS in the topic... should be LSD!

I just returned from FAST Specialties in Vancouver, WA after having Motive 3.73 gears and an Auburn limited slip differential put in. Great bunch of folks... friendly, informative, knowledgeable... I really enjoyed working with them.

Unfortunately, it was rush hour on the way home and I didn't get to open 'er up. Though, I'll be taking it easy on the Auburn for a few more miles to break it in. I really babied her on the way home. With parts, install and an hour of dyno time thrown in (just to calibrate the speedo for the gears), the day cost me $844.08.

On the way home, I did notice rpm's were up about 200 rpm's. Every now and then I heard a hallow sounding whine, for just a moment, when giving it a little gas. I think I've heard others report something similar with gears. I did not even try to try to lock up the rear. Gimme a few more days and I'll get adventurous.

Here's the dyno sheet from a Mustang Dynamometer. This is with Bamachips 91 octane performance tune after the speedo calibration.

Max hp: 189.8
Max tq: 199.8

[attachmentid=43123]

All in all, I'm very happy with the way she's driving. The numbers seem a bit low, compared to some of you... but most dynos I've seen from you guys have been on dynojets. I think there's a small difference between the two. Can anyone comment on the differences?

Travis, the tuner at FAST Specialties said that there was a lot of room left in the tune. With pulleys and a more aggressive tune on the dyno, he strongly felt we'd hit the 200 rwhp area without a problem.
Old 1/17/06, 07:05 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 17, 2006, 6:02 PM

I just returned from FAST Specialties in Vancouver, WA after having Motive 3.73 gears and an Auburn limited slip differential put in. Great bunch of folks... friendly, informative, knowledgeable... I really enjoyed working with them.

Unfortunately, it was rush hour on the way home and I didn't get to open 'er up. Though, I'll be taking it easy on the Auburn for a few more miles to break it in. I really babied her on the way home. With parts, install and an hour of dyno time thrown in (just to calibrate the speedo for the gears), the day cost me $844.08.

On the way home, I did notice rpm's were up about 200 rpm's. Every now and then I heard a hallow sounding whine, for just a moment, when giving it a little gas. I think I've heard others report something similar with gears. I did not even try to try to lock up the rear. Gimme a few more days and I'll get adventurous.

Here's the dyno sheet from a Mustang Dynamometer. This is with Bamachips 91 octane performance tune after the speedo calibration.

[attachmentid=43123]

All in all, I'm very happy with the way she's driving. The numbers seem a bit low, compared to some of you... but most dynos I've seen from you guys have been on dynojets. I think there's a small difference between the two. Can anyone comment on the differences?

Travis, the tuner at FAST Specialties said that there was a lot of room left in the tune. With pulleys and a more aggressive tune on the dyno, he strongly felt we'd hit the 200 rwhp area without a problem.
Am I reading this correctly.?? I thought I saw a 22 for your A/F ratio.. I know thats got to be incorrect..? Talk about lean! :shock:
Old 1/17/06, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah... it's at 22. I'll probably send it back to Doug... I'm sure he can correct for this.
Old 1/17/06, 07:13 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 17, 2006, 6:11 PM
yeah... it's at 22. I'll probably send it back to Doug... I'm sure he can correct for this.

Yeah she is starving! Poor girl!! OMG!! She's very hungry!... WOW!! Better call Doug ASAP!! She deserves more food than that... She's gonna be a toothpick! LOL!!
Old 1/17/06, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

MSP.. haha!

What is the ideal AFR range?
Old 1/17/06, 07:19 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 17, 2006, 6:19 PM
MSP.. haha!

What is the ideal AFR range?

Check out Garyb900's post of his Dyno.. I added some info.. After you read it, reply back in your dyno thread..
Old 1/17/06, 07:20 PM
Cobra R Member

at WOT you want to be at 12-13, 14.7 at cruise.

I really doubt its actually at 22, because theres no variance in the dyno pull between min and max, which means he probably just didnt have it hooked up, or turned on.

Thats a real good amount of HP, especially because its on a mustang dyno and not a dynojet.
Old 1/17/06, 07:23 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Fazm@January 17, 2006, 6:23 PM
at WOT you want to be at 12-13, 14.7 at cruise.

I really doubt its actually at 22, because theres no variance in the dyno pull between min and max, which means he probably just didnt have it hooked up, or turned on.

Thats a real good amount of HP, especially because its on a mustang dyno and not a dynojet.
So if he did not hook it up, he did not properly dyno the car, and ripped off HAMMY!! The purpose for a Dyno is not just to see the HP and TQ numbers, its also to see if the engine is tunned to its optimum situation in regards to A/F ratio...

If in fact he did not hook up the A/F meter, then HAMMY got ripped off and If I were him I would demand a partial refund... Half the value of a dyno is HP-TQ, the other half is A/F...

So are you saying our friend HAMMY has been takin advantage of?
Old 1/17/06, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 17, 2006, 9:02 PM

[attachmentid=43123]

Very nice numbers man, she is definitely good for more....but still nice numbers to start with!

Old 1/17/06, 07:33 PM
MSP
Banned

Thats what I thought Fazm! :notnice:
Old 1/17/06, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fazm... I think you're right. I just read on their website ( http://home.fastspecialties.com/ ) and oxygen sensing bungs are required for air/fuel ratio monitoring. And, I know I didn't pay for that!

So, what would these numbers be on a dynojet?
Old 1/17/06, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 17, 2006, 6:26 PM
So if he did not hook it up, he did not properly dyno the car, and ripped off HAMMY!! The purpose for a Dyno is not just to see the HP and TQ numbers, its also to see if the engine is tunned to its optimum situation in regards to A/F ratio...

If in fact he did not hook up the A/F meter, then HAMMY got ripped off and If I were him I would demand a partial refund... Half the value of a dyno is HP-TQ, the other half is A/F...

Hammy?! LOL! MSPy... the dyno was free and really just to recalibrate the speedo... Half of free is still free ... I don't feel ripped... I'm actually rather excited to take it in for a full dyno tuning session.

I'm really new to this whole dyno tuning world.
Old 1/17/06, 07:40 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 17, 2006, 6:38 PM
Fazm... I think you're right. I just read on their website ( http://home.fastspecialties.com/ ) and oxygen sensing bungs are required for air/fuel ratio monitoring. And, I know I didn't pay for that!

So, what would these numbers be on a dynojet?

Ok HAMMY!! Its apart of the DYNO... But believe FAZM and you will be in good shape.. I'll mind my own business.. Good Luck!
Old 1/17/06, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

MSP... lol... I'll get it checked out.
Old 1/17/06, 07:45 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 17, 2006, 6:42 PM
Hammy?! LOL! MSPy... the dyno was free and really just to recalibrate the speedo... Half of free is still free ... I don't feel ripped... I'm actually rather excited to take it in for a full dyno tuning session.

I'm really new to this whole dyno tuning world.

Well, sticking the sensor in the tail-pipe is apart of every Dyno session in America.. But Ok, I was only trying to give you some help...

Do you remember if he stuck a sensor in the tail-pipe?
Old 1/17/06, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 17, 2006, 9:26 PM

Yeah dagnabbit! How dare they take advantage of me, all the way over here in North Carolina hehehe
Old 1/17/06, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@January 17, 2006, 9:48 PM
Well, sticking the sensor in the tail-pipe is apart of every Dyno session in America.. But Ok, I was only trying to give you some help...

Do they do it different in Europe? LOL. On my first dyno, it was just to do a benchmark, not a tune session and they still put the sensor for the AF.
Old 1/17/06, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@January 17, 2006, 10:48 PM
Seems like he'd remember that!
Old 1/17/06, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jimp@January 17, 2006, 7:07 PM
Seems like he'd remember that!
I wasn't there... ACK!

I'll get down to the bottom of this tomorrow and give the shop a call.

Thanks for all of your input.
Old 1/17/06, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Not all dyno shops use a tail sniffer, some do put in a wideband 02 sensor in place of the rear oxygen sensor. I still think you should make sure the tune is safe.

Quick Reply: Auburn LDS and 3.73 gears installed and dyno