V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

applaud for the V-6

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/05, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
read this:
As printed in the Sept issue by Rob Reaser:

There's no denying that six-cylinder Mustangs have been the uncelebrated members of the ponycar herd from the beginning. It is the V-8 cars for whom fame, glory and enthusiast praise has always been heaped in abundance, and historically speaking thats as it should be. Considering the added cost of purchase, fuel economy, and insurance penalties inherent to an eight-cylinder sportscar, V-8 Mustangs have traditionally been the choice of the performance enthusiast set while the six-cylinder cars served to keep the Mustang a viable mainstream product. For that alone, we owe a massive debt to the v-6 ponies, as well as their four-cylinder brethren. Without them, the Mustang would never have sustained the sales volume needed to keep the car alive throught the 1980's.
Unfortunatly, too many enthusiasts have looked upon the six-cylinder Mustangs as "useful idiots"- a car that was necessary to keep the nameplate going, "but please, don't hang around us or pretend to be an equal."
Snobbery at its finest.
Now lets cinsider something. In 1985 the 5.0 GT was rated at 210 horsepower (a significant jump upwards from the 165 hp 5.0 of 1984(. The following year horsepower increased to 225 hp, and this represented the highmark for the entire Fox era.
As we all know, the 5.0 is the most celebrated and thoroughly explored powermill in Ford history. It helped the Mustang win the Ford vs GM ponycar wars, and launched an aftermarket segment the likes of which we've never seen before. With choice bolton components and intelligent tuning strateges, that 225 hp V-8 served as the foundation for some of the fastest gasoline-powered cars in history.
With that in mind, consider also the current V-6 Mustang. Displacement is a scant 0.6 liters less than its V-8 counterpart, and the current base Mustang is rated at 210 horsepower. Folks, thats right on par with the most famed Mustang GT engine of all time. Knock the 2005 V-6 for its power output and your're simultaneously slamming the lauded 5.0L.
Herein lies hypocrisy.
I say all of this as a preface to a prediction: The dawn of the V-6 performance Mustang is nigh. Today this engine stands on a platform high enough that it can jump into the WOW! realm rather quickly. Already I've talked to a few aftermarket manufacturers who are eyeballing the V-6 pony for development of not only choice speed parts, but also comprehensive performance packages. And the whispered word amongst these forward thinkers is "turbocharger."
Why not? In fact, how could the aftermarket afford not to look in this direction? Mustangs are flying off of dealer lots. New enthusiasts are being made daily with the flourish of pen on payment contract, and it's not only GTs which are selling. As of this writing the V-6 couple is $5,925 under the cost of a base GT coupe. then there is the massive insurance differential between the two cars, which is of significant importance for younger buyers.
In two or three years there will be scads of pre-owned fifth-gen V-6 ponies for sale, and all with strong engines primed for a few performance mods. the companies who develop high-performance parts for these cars today will soon reap the rewards, and V-6 owners will also win-particularly those of the younger generation who may otherwise be attacted to the price and performance packages found in many of today's import models.
The V-8 will always be king of the horsepower realm, but the new prince of performance is about to have its day.
Remember, you heard it here first.
Old 8/19/05, 01:00 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is this from ME? i think i read it before... great article
Old 8/19/05, 01:19 AM
Cobra Member

did you post this already? sorry if its a repost!!
Old 8/19/05, 05:40 AM
Cobra Member

That article really hit the nail on the head.... It's amazing the number of people that strictly judge a car by the number of cylinders... As soon as I make the logical arguments, like the ones in the article, the V8 snobs usually then resort to personal attacks and name calling! LOL!

I was over at Alternative Auto yesterday (www.alternativeauto.com). Lidio has built some of those incredibly fast 5.0's. And I can tell you he is very excited about the new V6! Like the author of the article, he sees the potential of the 4.0L.

From their site:

Alternative Auto is excited about the 05 V-6 Mustang and fully intends to pursue not only performance tunes, but other bolt-ons as they become available, like higher stall torque converters, pulleys and air boxes. Hopefully we’ll be trying and testing some superchargers on the 4.0L V-6 by late 2005.

Like I said, I've seen first hand how much interest in the V6 Lidio has when I bring my car in... Again, he's one of the guys who sees the potential and is going to try to help us get the most out of our cars!

We had my car on the dyno... I'll post the sheet when I get home... I think you'll be impressed when you see the Torque curve! LOL!!!

I'm down here for the Woodward Dream Cruise.... returning home Sunday. I'll post it up ASAP.
Old 8/19/05, 09:26 AM
Post *****

lol i didnt post it already, i've just read it before. and a great read it was

i really think that the base six shouldnt be looked down upon anymore from a performance standpoint. especially with the 4.0! my friend had one of them in his ranger and man.... that truck hauled.
Old 8/19/05, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree completely. After seeing the insurance for the GT I was shocked the V6 is a strong viable engine and is the heart (with the V8 being the soul) of the Mustang Platform
Old 8/19/05, 11:29 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have always respected the V6 (and even the 80's 4 cylinders). Even before the '05 came out I noticed how much hp it had and pointed it out to many people while comparing it to the old 5.0's. To add to the praise of the V6, one thing the article didn't mention is that by 1993, the 5.0 was only rated 215!
However, I have to add one VERY important point. The 5.0 had 275 ft-lbs of troque. So IMO you can't really compare it to the 5.0. BIG difference there.

Oh, and yes, the article is from Mustang Enthusiast from a couple of issues ago.
Old 8/19/05, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Word
Old 8/19/05, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

This car has gobs of potential! I am just having a blast with mine!
Old 8/27/05, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

A very well written article. My V6 has as much, if not more pep than my beloved 289 '66.......... It's a fun drive.
Old 8/27/05, 12:37 PM
Post *****

re-read the thread and realized i should have said by 'ME' i meant Mustang enthusiast :P

sorrya bout the confusion
Old 8/30/05, 07:37 AM

I think the V6 Pony looks just as good or not better than the GT Grille...I like the smaller more, nostalgic fogs in the grille...the ones in the GT looks to be more like extra set of headlights.

I love them both though...I'm sure over the next couple of years, they are just going to look even better!!