V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Another v6 exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/06, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another v6 exhaust question

Hi, ive been browsing this forum for a while now and just decided to join not to long ago. I know these questions have probably been answered on this site already but heres my case. I currently own a 2005 v6 mustang. I wanna do dual exhaust and had some questions. I have a stock gt h-pipe, and bought the two hangers and the driver side over axle pipe, and have a set of gt axle backs. Will everything just bolt right up?? If not what would i have to do to make it work?? Also people have been telling that the v6 passenger side over axle pipe would not work with tthe stock gt set-up?? Is that True???

Any info would be helpful at this time..

Thanks Tom
Old 9/23/06, 11:37 AM
GT Member

I installed just the right side GT axle back on my 06 V6. The muffler connection to the over axle pipe was identical on both mufflers. Whomever told you that it wouldn't work is wrong.

In fact if you have 30 minutes to an hour, you can swap them now.

Look at: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52101 for more info and my instructions.

With just the one side you will notice a difference in performance and sound. You will LOVE it.
Old 9/23/06, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info but i was talking about the passenger side over axle pipe connecting to the stock gt h-pipe?
Old 9/23/06, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Now I see!
Old 9/23/06, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

but im going true duals. Gt hpipe, gt driver side midpipe and gt stock mufflers. I wanted to kno if the v6 passenger midepipe would work with this whole set-up??
Old 9/23/06, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its my understanding that the GT mid-pipe (I'm assuming that you're speaking of the entire mid-pipe including the CATS) will NOT fit on the V-6. I'm guessing it has something to do with the V6 headers. When I installed my duals I had a custom H-pipe made for the car. Granted its no longer factory parts but it sounds totally awesome!
Old 9/23/06, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Stangpower05,

I've only researched this like you. I have an 05 Mustang Gt and an 06 Mustang V6. From what I have read, you have all the right pieces. However, the GT h-pipe will have to be welded to the V6 y-pipe, just behind the cats. Some people have reported some issue with using the V6's passenger side mid-pipe, having to do with the mount that is attached to it. Perhaps it has to be removed, but I'm not positive. Other than the lack of the mount, the GT passenger side mid-pipe is identical. What are you going to do about your rear bumper, make a new cutout for the left side muffler or replace it with a GT takeoff?

Steve
Old 9/24/06, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Stangpower05,

The GT midpipe is a perfect fit. In fact the tapped holes are already there for the left side hangers. As the previous post noted, there is some welding required to fit the H pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Another v6 exhaust question-h_small.jpg   Another v6 exhaust question-dual_small.jpg  
Old 9/24/06, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Stangpower05,

I've only researched this like you. I have an 05 Mustang Gt and an 06 Mustang V6. From what I have read, you have all the right pieces. However, the GT h-pipe will have to be welded to the V6 y-pipe, just behind the cats. Some people have reported some issue with using the V6's passenger side mid-pipe, having to do with the mount that is attached to it. Perhaps it has to be removed, but I'm not positive. Other than the lack of the mount, the GT passenger side mid-pipe is identical. What are you going to do about your rear bumper, make a new cutout for the left side muffler or replace it with a GT takeoff?

Steve

Thanks for all the info, i actually already have the gt bumper on the car just waiting to see what i have to do to get this exhaust on!!
Old 9/24/06, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Racer3
Stangpower05,

The GT midpipe is a perfect fit. In fact the tapped holes are already there for the left side hangers. As the previous post noted, there is some welding required to fit the H pipe.

So i have to cut the v6 y pipe right after the cats, then cut the gt hpipe behind the cats, and then weld the gt hpipe to the v6 cats?? And then it would all fit?
Old 9/24/06, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangPower05
So i have to cut the v6 y pipe right after the cats, then cut the gt hpipe behind the cats, and then weld the gt hpipe to the v6 cats?? And then it would all fit?
yes, then it all fits. Just have a muffler shop weld it, so they can be sure it lines up perfectly with the GT mid-pipes. BTW, did you get an extra collar clamp to connect the left side mid-pipe to the h-pipe?
Old 9/24/06, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
yes, then it all fits. Just have a muffler shop weld it, so they can be sure it lines up perfectly with the GT mid-pipes. BTW, did you get an extra collar clamp to connect the left side mid-pipe to the h-pipe?
I relized that i needed it so i got it after i ordered everything.

BTW- Do you have a screen name where i can reach you??