V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Aftermarket Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/06, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 12, 2006, 11:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have to agree 100% on this one. And what really tops it off and why I am on the fence ordering from them, is the fact that they don't have a project car with documented claims.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, that bothers me as well.
Old 2/12/06, 09:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 12, 2006, 11:10 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ok... their specs are ok... it's their conclusions I disagree with.... The want us all to believe that adding ANY AMOUNT of boost or Nitrous will have catastrophic results! Many of us have proved that not to be the case!

Oh... and Mike gave me a ride around town... so that's 3!!! LOL!
[/b][/quote]

Well, they don't quite say that. They do say that they have seen blown head gaskets and cracked pistons at only 8PSI. Explorer Express only recommends 6 PSI. They also point out quite a bit that is good about the 4.0. The crank and rods are pretty strong. All in all, I think that it's a pretty fair article. The problem is, most guys that use power adders don't use common sense. They want to get as much hp as possible without regard to the engine's capability. Lidio has been pretty smart to keep your nitrous levels low.

Having said all that, I'm still thinking of getting Mike's turbo. I'd probably want to keep the boost at 7PSI around town. Maybe reserve the 9PSI spring for the track. I just wish Mike would be more forthcoming with information. I'd really like to know what has happened to his V6 test mule. Is it being driven on a daily basis? At what boost levels? Maybe he's going to release all of that infomation on March 1st. But he's been pretty tight lipped up to this point and stingy with his answers to everyone's questions. He's left us to draw our own conclusions from his cryptic answers.
Old 2/12/06, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So call me "old school," I am old school!

I have to agree with BlackLX, people are very excitable around here, and I think you guys have been way too hard on Super Six and their article. Their recommendations are fair, common sense, and based on traditional motor building practices. (And you don't have to buy their products just to heed their advice!) Once again, I know some professionals out here in California who warned me of the same things even before I read that "4.0 Tech" article.

Having said that, you are wise to be cautious: I would never hire anyone to build an engine (or engine part) for me who's reputation I did not already know or respect well in advance (and I certainly wouldn't do it by mail order from across the country!) My friends and I have burned more than one engine ourselves by hiring the wrong guys to build it and I won't repeat that mistake!

And is it just me, or does the idea of an American muscle car and a turbo charger just sound like blasphemy to you? Thieir so, so . . . so European! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puke.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 12, 2006, 3:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
And is it just me, or does the idea of an American muscle car and a turbo charger just sound like blasphemy to you? Thieir so, so . . . so European! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puke.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

They make a ton of power, that's all I care about. Turbos are really making a big showing in drag racing these days. A lot of the 5.0 guys use them. The nice thing is that they make more power at lower boost because they aren't using power to make it.
Old 2/12/06, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 12, 2006, 2:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So call me "old school," I am old school!
[/b][/quote]

But the 4.0L is not... The 4.0L is computer controlled... A lot of the issues they talk about are addressed with a proper tune..
Old 2/14/06, 02:11 AM
GT Member

I talked to my port guy in California and he said in his upcoming 4.0 P&P kits that he'll be including all the hardware needed to perform the install from your own garage. This includes shims, pushrods and yes, even the install kit for your camshaft. So don't fear, all you need is the time or the money to pay a mechanic by the hour to do the install. It looks hard but if you have everything you need in front of you (Mikel from RPM-Mustangs.com will ship you EVERYTHING) it can be done. I'll keep you all posted as my plan unfolds in the next few weeks.
Old 2/14/06, 03:50 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gash05 @ February 14, 2006, 4:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I talked to my port guy in California and he said in his upcoming 4.0 P&P kits that he'll be including all the hardware needed to perform the install from your own garage. This includes shims, pushrods and yes, even the install kit for your camshaft. So don't fear, all you need is the time or the money to pay a mechanic by the hour to do the install. It looks hard but if you have everything you need in front of you (Mikel from RPM-Mustangs.com will ship you EVERYTHING) it can be done. I'll keep you all posted as my plan unfolds in the next few weeks.
[/b][/quote]

pushrods??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]