V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Aftermarket Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/06, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are some aftermarket cams for the 4.0? How difficult would the installation be on this vehicle? If I had a mechanic do it for me, how much would it run me? Rough estimates welcome [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]. The max hp rpm of 5250 is weak. Should be near 6000 and getting 240-250. The c.a.i is worthless, and the underdrive pulley thing will probably cause the car to overheat in hot weather; less power to water pump. In any case, the mentioned mods make no direct changes to the engine. A new cam, however, is a far more reliable way of actualy increasing power.
In short; where can I get a new cam, is this easy enough to install myself or should I have a mechanic do it for me, and how much would this whole thing run me. I'm terrified of the idea of taking off the heads to replace the cams. For a good reason, the thought of taking something apart and then putting it back together doesn't sit well with me... bad experience with a 1999 Catera. Please don't ask. It was, and still is, terrible to think about it.

Kris
Old 2/11/06, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, so you already have the automotive "expertise" to dismiss a CAI as "worthless"(they aren't). Shouldn't you also have enough knowledge to know what a cam swap would be like? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 11, 2006, 3:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What are some aftermarket cams for the 4.0? How difficult would the installation be on this vehicle? If I had a mechanic do it for me, how much would it run me? Rough estimates welcome [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]. The max hp rpm of 5250 is weak. Should be near 6000 and getting 240-250. The c.a.i is worthless, and the underdrive pulley thing will probably cause the car to overheat in hot weather; less power to water pump. In any case, the mentioned mods make no direct changes to the engine. A new cam, however, is a far more reliable way of actualy increasing power.
In short; where can I get a new cam, is this easy enough to install myself or should I have a mechanic do it for me, and how much would this whole thing run me. I'm terrified of the idea of taking off the heads to replace the cams. For a good reason, the thought of taking something apart and then putting it back together doesn't sit well with me... bad experience with a 1999 Catera. Please don't ask. It was, and still is, terrible to think about it.

Kris
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/11/06, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 11, 2006, 4:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Kris
[/b][/quote]

The only place I know that has custom cams is Super Six Motorsports:
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM...CatalogVer2.pdf
You'd want to get a mechanic to do the install and from what little bit I know about these motors, it wouldn't be easy. Plus, the cams are very expensive. I don't see the appeal.

The best thing you can do for a stock 4.0 is a CAI and a tuner. Yes, the CAI is worthless without a tune. I'd recommend the C&L/SCT-2 combo from BamaChips. It's $650 but you can actually install it yourself and it will make a big difference.
Old 2/11/06, 01:55 PM
GT Member

A cam should run you about $500 but I wouldn't pay more then that. Expect a shop to take around 5-7 hours to install one, so if they charge 50 bucks an hour that'd be $250-350 for install.
Old 2/11/06, 01:58 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 11, 2006, 3:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The only place I know that has custom cams is Super Six Motorsports:
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM...CatalogVer2.pdf
You'd want to get a mechanic to do the install and from what little bit I know about these motors, it wouldn't be easy. Plus, the cams are very expensive. I don't see the appeal.

The best thing you can do for a stock 4.0 is a CAI and a tuner. Yes, the CAI is worthless without a tune. I'd recommend the C&L/SCT-2 combo from BamaChips. It's $650 but you can actually install it yourself and it will make a big difference.
[/b][/quote]

+1 and ill add a +2-50 for everyone else that will say the samething. I would wait to see..someone else do it first, no one has see waht cams can actually do yet
Old 2/11/06, 02:38 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torch_Vert @ February 11, 2006, 2:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Okay, so you already have the automotive "expertise" to dismiss a CAI as "worthless"(they aren't). Shouldn't you also have enough knowledge to know what a cam swap would be like? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
A cai does nothing to the engine itself. Improves thermal efficiency by what... 1%? The cai thing must've been started by import tuners because 10 years ago nobody gave two cents about a cold air intake. A cai that lowers temp by 10C? Now that would be something.

---

I read a pdf on the sohc 4.0, it said that one of the camshafts has to be taken out from the rear of the engine. It then said it might be difficult to do this without actualy taking the darn thing out. That is a major minus. There's only so much tuning one can do without having to change the cam.

$500 for a custom grind? darn. I wonder where all that money is going.
Old 2/11/06, 02:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 11, 2006, 4:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
A cai does nothing to the engine itself. Improves thermal efficiency by what... 1%? The cai thing must've been started by import tuners because 10 years ago nobody gave two cents about a cold air intake. A cai that lowers temp by 10C? Now that would be something.
---

I read a pdf on the sohc 4.0, it said that one of the camshafts has to be taken out from the rear of the engine. It then said it might be difficult to do this without actualy taking the darn thing out. That is a major minus. There's only so much tuning one can do without having to change the cam.

$500 for a custom grind? darn. I wonder where all that money is going.
[/b][/quote]

It's not all(or even mainly) about the air temp.

An intake on the 4.0 V6 allows for a higher unrestricted airflow, and hence allows the engine management to be retuned to crank in more fuel. More air + more fuel = More go....

If you'll peruse the forum here, you'll find Dyno sheets from various members showing real world HP and Torque gains.
Old 2/11/06, 02:46 PM
V6 Member

I tend to agree with you about CIAs Kris: with the right tune and 93 octane fuel they will make gains (especially in an automatic), but the gains are not phenomenal. How do you get more air into the engine (NA) without changing the size of the throttle body? The gains are mostly from the improved filter element and the higher octane tune. Back to your OP: the cam install will be very difficult with the engine in because the V-6 has a left-side and a right-side cam that are driven from opposite ends of the engine. You will need a special cam timing kit from Ford to do them. You would be better off hiring a professional mechanic who is knowledgable about the V-6 engine. There is a good "4.0 Tech" article at Super Six's web-site that details the problems here:

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

I have dropped aftermarket cams in several vehicles and they can dramatically change the performance characteristics of your car, but if not well planned and thought out you may be disappointed with the results. The lift and duration of the cam shaft must be properly matched to the displacement bore and stroke of the car, the intake and exhaust valves (and systems), and the tune would need to be knowledgeably adjusted as well. I myself would not think of doing this unless I was already building a new engine.
Old 2/11/06, 03:03 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 11, 2006, 3:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I tend to agree with you about CIAs Kris: with the right tune and 93 octane fuel they will make gains (especially in an automatic), but the gains are not phenomenal. How do you get more air into the engine (NA) without changing the size of the throttle body? The gains are mostly from the improved filter element and the higher octane tune. Back to your OP: the cam install will be very difficult with the engine in because the V-6 has a left-side and a right-side cam that are driven from opposite ends of the engine. You will need a special cam timing kit from Ford to do them. You would be better off hiring a professional mechanic who is knowledgable about the V-6 engine. There is a good "4.0 Tech" article at Super Six's web-site that details the problems here:

I have dropped aftermarket cams in several vehicles and they can dramatically change the performance characteristics of your car, but if not well planned and thought out you may be disappointed with the results. The lift and duration of the cam shaft must be properly matched to the displacement bore and stroke of the car, the intake and exhaust valves (and systems), and the tune would need to be knowledgeably adjusted as well. I myself would not think of doing this unless I was already building a new engine.
[/b][/quote]

Ya, that's the article that I read as well. Too bad about the installation. Cam swapping an old small block seems a lot less frightening, and for obvious reasons. Too bad this engine doesn't fall into the same ease of swap category.

I see and understand what you guys mean with the airflow thing, but I had hoped that for about 1000$, a cam swap would be the obvious way to go (about how much one would spend on doing this to a 351 or 289). I liked this idea because cams are what control the engine and its torque curve. I also am a fan of the hipo 289 that peaked at what, 6800rpm? Sweet lordy. The 4.0 seems like a great little engine, but short rpm range bugs the crap out of me.
Old 2/11/06, 03:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ February 11, 2006, 5:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ya, that's the article that I read as well. Too bad about the installation. Cam swapping an old small block seems a lot less frightening, and for obvious reasons. Too bad this engine doesn't fall into the same ease of swap category.
I see and understand what you guys mean with the airflow thing, but I had hoped that for about 1000$, a cam swap would be the obvious way to go (about how much one would spend on doing this to a 351 or 289). I liked this idea because cams are what control the engine and its torque curve. I also am a fan of the hipo 289 that peaked at what, 6800rpm? Sweet lordy. The 4.0 seems like a great little engine, but short rpm range bugs the crap out of me.
[/b][/quote]

That's one thing we can agree on. I'd like it if the 4.0 was a bit higher winding too.

It'd take more than just cams though, you'd need to look at higher compression valve springs, lightweight valves, etc. Then you'd have to look at the cam drive system for the 4.0 to be sure you weren't over taxing it. There are likely possible gains to be had down this road, but it won't be easy and/or cheap.

My feel is that once you're into $1000-$1500 for such a project, maybe it's time to consider a power adder like a supercharger or turbo instead.
Old 2/11/06, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Blue-printing and balancing, higher quality pistons and heads, and a racing flywheel and clutch would be the only way I could think of to successfully raise red-line. Now your talking a new motor.
Old 2/11/06, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

new motor...hmmm

just get a cai + tune.
Old 2/11/06, 11:48 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotts05custom @ February 12, 2006, 12:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
new motor...hmmm

just get a cai + tune.
[/b][/quote]

+1 and TT gears and LCA
Old 2/12/06, 12:16 AM
GT Member

hey Kris if you want a custom cam that's pretty cheap then goto rpm-mustangs.com...email Mikel and ask him for a quote...he's doing mine for about $400 if I remember correctly. He's quality work and I'd trust him with anything on my car.
Old 2/12/06, 03:54 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 11, 2006, 4:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

That "tech" article... you mean the one that says our 4.0 won't be able to handle any kind of power adder? The one that says the first sign of a little boost or nitrous the 4.0 will self-destruct... That "tech" article is simply a lot of opinions... not a lot of fact... Based on that article there should be a lot of us guys in here complaining because we're replacing our head gaskets every other week... And except for Mike doing something EXTREME I haven't seen anyone post about a popped piston... again we have enough S/C'd and Zexed 4.0L that if that "tech" article was really accurate we'ld have seen someone posted about their blown motor... Sorry... in my book that "tech" article is nothing but a scare tactic to sell you parts you do not need...

As far as cams... Not on my car... LOL! I'll let someone else try it... This is one mod I will definitely avoid... And remember the timing chain on the passenger side cam is on the back side of the motor... just to make installation more fun... LOL

Ask SuperSix to provide dyno for this mod... ????
Old 2/12/06, 04:18 AM
V6 Member

I advised against the new cam for exactly that reason, but some friends of mine and I agree on the pistons, at least in regards to an SC approaching 350 HP, not necessarily in regards to nitrous (these same friends also have some concerns about loose tolerances on the Ford pistons, but that is another matter). The car has been out now for just over a year, and the mods in question for less then that--time will tell.

Also, I have referred to Super Six Motorsports several times now just out of convenience (they have a web-site): I have no real plans to have them do anything for me as they are in Atlanta. I am looking into a high performance shop here in California that just happens to agree with some of Super Six's observations. In reality, I am becoming much more interested in the idea doing a total restoration of a '67 Camaro (boy, that ought to steam some clams around here!) California's tough emissions standards just make working on a newer vehicle too difficult and unfulfilling. I'm sure you'll all miss me, right? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img]

By the way, Scrming, I was looking at some pics of your car the other day: have you thought of painting the rear-quarter louvers black to match the rear-deck louvers. I think it would look more retro--just one opinion. And who slapped that MRT license plate on the front of your car?
Old 2/12/06, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 12, 2006, 6:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I advised against the new cam for exactly that reason, but some friends of mine and I agree on the pistons, at least in regards to an SC approaching 350 HP, not necessarily in regards to nitrous (these same friends also have some concerns about loose tolerances on the Ford pistons, but that is another matter). The car has been out now for just over a year, and the mods in question for less then that--time will tell.

Also, I have referred to Super Six Motorsports several times now just out of convenience (they have a web-site): I have no real plans to have them do anything for me as they are in Atlanta. I am looking into a high performance shop here in California that just happens to agree with some of Super Six's observations. In reality, I am becoming much more interested in the idea doing a total restoration of a '67 Camaro (boy, that ought to steam some clams around here!) California's tough emissions standards just make working on a newer vehicle too difficult and unfulfilling. I'm sure you'll all miss me, right? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img]

By the way, Scrming, I was looking at some pics of your car the other day: have you thought of painting the rear-quarter louvers black to match the rear-deck louvers. I think it would look more retro--just one opinion. And who slapped that MRT license plate on the front of your car?
[/b][/quote]

A lot of the SuperSix observations are simply "the old way" of thinking... A good tune goes a long way!

A 1967 Camaro... that would be very cool... LOL!

All the pics i've seen the quarter louvers are always body color...

As far as the license plate... Scott asked if he could put a license plate FRAME on... it covered to much of the smiley fact plate so I made him give me the MRT plate... it came off one of their show cars! LOL! I get such great products and customer service from Scott and MRT I have no problem letting people know!!! LOL
Old 2/12/06, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 12, 2006, 6:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That "tech" article... you mean the one that says our 4.0 won't be able to handle any kind of power adder? The one that says the first sign of a little boost or nitrous the 4.0 will self-destruct... That "tech" article is simply a lot of opinions... not a lot of fact... Based on that article there should be a lot of us guys in here complaining because we're replacing our head gaskets every other week... And except for Mike doing something EXTREME I haven't seen anyone post about a popped piston... again we have enough S/C'd and Zexed 4.0L that if that "tech" article was really accurate we'ld have seen someone posted about their blown motor... Sorry... in my book that "tech" article is nothing but a scare tactic to sell you parts you do not need...

As far as cams... Not on my car... LOL! I'll let someone else try it... This is one mod I will definitely avoid... And remember the timing chain on the passenger side cam is on the back side of the motor... just to make installation more fun... LOL

Ask SuperSix to provide dyno for this mod... ????
[/b][/quote]

Technically, everything that Super Six says about the 4.0 is true. We do have weak pistons. IMO, 350RWHP is about as far as you'd want to push these motors without going inside. And 300RWHP if you want it to last. And really, 300HP to the wheels is more than enough for most people. I know Powerhouse took it to 400RWHP but we only know of them doing it once at the track and once at the dyno. Mike hasn't come out and told us anything about how the car has done since then. Has he been running it for any length of time at that boost level? The nice thing about nitrous is that it's only being used on occasion. SC and TC put stress on the motor all the time. Personally, I don't plan to go much over 300RWHP. And that should put me in the 12s. That's a pretty fast 6! I can live with that and I think the engine can too!
Old 2/12/06, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 12, 2006, 9:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Technically, everything that Super Six says about the 4.0 is true. We do have weak pistons. IMO, 350RWHP is about as far as you'd want to push these motors without going inside. And 300RWHP if you want it to last. And really, 300HP to the wheels is more than enough for most people. I know Powerhouse took it to 400RWHP but we only know of them doing it once at the track and once at the dyno. Mike hasn't come out and told us anything about how the car has done since then. Has he been running it for any length of time at that boost level? The nice thing about nitrous is that it's only being used on occasion. SC and TC put stress on the motor all the time. Personally, I don't plan to go much over 300RWHP. And that should put me in the 12s. That's a pretty fast 6! I can live with that and I think the engine can too!
[/b][/quote]

ok... their specs are ok... it's their conclusions I disagree with.... The want us all to believe that adding ANY AMOUNT of boost or Nitrous will have catastrophic results! Many of us have proved that not to be the case!

Oh... and Mike gave me a ride around town... so that's 3!!! LOL!
Old 2/12/06, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 12, 2006, 10:10 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ok... their specs are ok... it's their conclusions I disagree with.... The want us all to believe that adding ANY AMOUNT of boost or Nitrous will have catastrophic results! Many of us have proved that not to be the case!

Oh... and Mike gave me a ride around town... so that's 3!!! LOL!
[/b][/quote]

I have to agree 100% on this one. And what really tops it off and why I am on the fence ordering from them, is the fact that they don't have a project car with documented claims.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Camshafts