V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

AFE Cold Air Intake SYstem

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/05, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.afefilters.com/54-10291%20Musta...ct%20Review.htm

I just got finished installing an AFE CAI system in my '05 V6.

It seems like the exhaust tone (Ford Racing Muffler) is a little deeper, not sure if there is any real power gain yet.

The best part of it is that it does not make a whistling sound like the MAC kit I had in my '98!

I am a little concearned about the fact that there is no cover for the filter. It just sits in the engine bay exposed to the elements. Has anyone else who has the AFE kit had any problems with it yet?

Thanks,

David
Old 10/12/05, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

you dont know if there is any real power gains yet? what?
Old 10/12/05, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by scotts05custom@October 12, 2005, 8:32 PM
you dont know if there is any real power gains yet? what?
I only had time to drive in the neighborhood this evening, I didn't want to go too fast as there are often children hanging around the streets.
Old 10/12/05, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the same kit, I noticed a gain right away. But I went 0-80 the night I installed it from a stop light. Heh heh. Its a good kit, and I have had no issues with it. Just ask Afixer, he tested the kit for awhile and posted info on it.

I'll keep you posted though if I have any issues, but its been great for me...and no odd noises.
Old 10/14/05, 06:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@October 12, 2005, 9:25 PM
I got the same kit, I noticed a gain right away. But I went 0-80 the night I installed it from a stop light. Heh heh. Its a good kit, and I have had no issues with it. Just ask Afixer, he tested the kit for awhile and posted info on it.

I'll keep you posted though if I have any issues, but its been great for me...and no odd noises.
I finally got a chance to drive on the highway since I installed the kit. Seems like it accelerates a lot quicker at high speeds (70+).

Nice thing is I was getting a horrible drone around 55-65mph with my exhaust, now that I got the AFE kit it is completely gone!!!
Old 10/14/05, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe AFE is working on a stage 2 kit... with an inlet tube and cover, similar to the GT model. Dunno when they'll be done though. Ya know... most of the other intakes don't have a cover to them and they seem to do a good job of filtering out the elements.
Old 10/15/05, 07:04 AM
GT Member

my kit has the cover because it was a prototype. they opted to remove the cover for cost savings. (thats what they told me) i have taken off my cover for show at times and didnt realy notice a diff. the filter is so dam big i dont think it matters. and yes they are going to make a tube kit and that one is suppose to include the cover. hopfully they will have a uprade kit that is just the tube for existing units. not sure about the cover mine has 3 nutserts in the unit to mount the cover to. i will email the guy i was dealing with during prototype. to see how they are comming. i wont get to get over there untill christmas time due to the fact that i am now working on santa clause 3 and my hours are 6am to 6pm m-f (thats why you guys havent seen much of me.) i love the kit with or without the tune. im happy you guys like it . good luck Tom
Old 10/21/05, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by afixer@October 15, 2005, 7:07 AM
my kit has the cover because it was a prototype. they opted to remove the cover for cost savings. (thats what they told me) i have taken off my cover for show at times and didnt realy notice a diff. the filter is so dam big i dont think it matters. and yes they are going to make a tube kit and that one is suppose to include the cover. hopfully they will have a uprade kit that is just the tube for existing units. not sure about the cover mine has 3 nutserts in the unit to mount the cover to. i will email the guy i was dealing with during prototype. to see how they are comming. i wont get to get over there untill christmas time due to the fact that i am now working on santa clause 3 and my hours are 6am to 6pm m-f (thats why you guys havent seen much of me.) i love the kit with or without the tune. im happy you guys like it . good luck Tom
It looks like it would be easy to make a cover for the filter. I was just a little concerned about dust and crap getting in the engine and screwing the engine up.

The AFE kit is definately a really nice kit for the money.

David
Old 10/22/05, 07:37 AM
GT Member

the filter on the afe kit has more layers than the k& n kit so i think dirt shouldnt be a prob. when i was at the factory they showed me how they make the filters.
Old 11/23/05, 11:39 AM
V6 Member

OK Guys I got a question. Got the afe cai but the instructuions are kinda vauge. Says to pull UP the red clip on the MAF and remove it before attempting to remove the MAf. However, the red clip pulls OUT on mine, and only goes a short distance, doesn't seem to make the MAF want to come off. Directions say to be very careful so you don't break it, so now I'm afraid of F'ing it up! Any advice? Youd think they could throw in a pic or two on something like this for my 200 bucks...
Old 11/23/05, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Never mind, I just inscrewed the whole dang thing and transfered it all in one piece, seems to work fine so far.
Old 11/23/05, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Cool, got it finally working I take it?

The only problem I had was my car does not have ABS so I had to go to Home Depot and buy a bolt to hold the front of the new box down.
Old 11/23/05, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Maf should be a red clip that that pulls out and releases the lock. Just a little force and a little rocking should take it right out after that.
Old 11/26/05, 04:42 PM
GT Member

I bought the Diablo/ AFE Intake combo from RPM and installed it Monday night. Definitely noticed a difference in performance and improved sound with the 87 octane tune. I may try the performace tunes with a tank of 93 octane, but don't race the car so a couple extra horsepower isn't worth $3 more a tank to me.
I also had to add a bolt where the ABS unit would have been, but otherwise it was a simple install.
Anybody done minor tweaking on the tune to get a little better off the line acceleration? It feels stronger off the line but still doesn't have what it takes to break the tires loose with just the Diablo 87 octane tune.
Old 11/26/05, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This modern day V6 engine screams like its predecessors from the 60's. You can really hear and feel the raw power of the 4.0L V6
This comment from AFE's webpage struck me funny. One presumes they're not talking about the "mighty" 170 and 200 cubic inch inline six plants from the Mustangs heyday (The only way to make one of those "scream" would be to drain the oil and wait for the bearings to spin LOL)
Old 11/26/05, 05:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by the cable guy@November 26, 2005, 5:45 PM
I bought the Diablo/ AFE Intake combo from RPM and installed it Monday night. Definitely noticed a difference in performance and improved sound with the 87 octane tune. I may try the performace tunes with a tank of 93 octane, but don't race the car so a couple extra horsepower isn't worth $3 more a tank to me.
I also had to add a bolt where the ABS unit would have been, but otherwise it was a simple install.
Anybody done minor tweaking on the tune to get a little better off the line acceleration? It feels stronger off the line but still doesn't have what it takes to break the tires loose with just the Diablo 87 octane tune.
Do you have an auto?

There is supposed to be a torque limiter in 1st gear to prevent people spinning tires to much. A tune is supposed to remove the limiter and free-up lots of torque....

I guess they didnt put one on the manual as the tires break loose at almost every light
Old 11/27/05, 10:22 PM
GT Member

I have an automatic. My previous Muscle Cars were small block Chevy's and a 455 Firebird so I'm not expecting miracles, but a little more torque off the line would be great.
I believe the performance is pretty respectable when you factor in the 28mpg, but I'd like to do a burn out once in a while.
Old 1/23/06, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Just wanted to add some comments on AFE install and impressions after the install in case someone searches before installing the AFE CAI

1) installation manual is useful - do study it
2) with red clip up, the MAF harness might require some gentle rocking side to side to come off. Be careful though - last I checked new MAF sensor is $120
3) have some metric sockets handy - I only have inch sockets (soon to be changed) and the only thing that saved the day was the "Gator" grip socket
4) Torx head screwdriver (#20 I think) is a must. Instruction says you can get away with using a flat head. Not so in my case. One of the screws on the MAF was so tight, I had go and buy a torx set (was missing that too)
5) the MAF can be screwed in the new tube only one way, so pay attention there as well.
6) Overall installation is very easy. I never did any type of bolt-ons before except tower brace and have I had torx screwdriver handy I could have finished the whole install in 30 minutes.

I recommend purchasing a memory saver that plugs in power outlet. You need to disconnect the battery during the install and this gadget (about $10-$15) will save your radio and MyColor settings. I have IUP with a computer that tells me how many miles I have left until empty fuel tank and what's my average mile/gal. Both got reset after disconnecting the battery. Don't worry - both will come back. Mil/gal will be be reset forever.

I didn't and probably won't ever run a dyno due to being a cheap skate. The total HP and TQ isn't that important to me as long as I like the ride. That being said, I did notice much faster throttle response. There is much less lag than there was before. The difference especially apparent in 5th gear (I have a manual). I recently saw this kit for $200 shipped on a famous online auction I paid more for mine, but still think that it is a good deal, since no computer flash is required.
Old 1/23/06, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks AvtoLubitel !!

On the site they claim...
Once the car was strapped to our Mustang Dynamometer, the power was very noticeable with an additional 12 hp at 4500 rpm and11 ft-lbs of torque @ 3900 rpm.
Is this with a tune?? It doesn't say. If not what is the gain with a tune? A definate must is the need to get rid of the torque limiter, so im guessing a tune is the only way to fix that issue. But still, an extra 12hp and 11ftlbs would be a good start !!
Old 1/23/06, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by 05BlackVert@October 12, 2005, 8:04 PM
http://www.afefilters.com/54-10291%20Musta...ct%20Review.htm

I just got finished installing an AFE CAI system in my '05 V6.

It seems like the exhaust tone (Ford Racing Muffler) is a little deeper, not sure if there is any real power gain yet.

The best part of it is that it does not make a whistling sound like the MAC kit I had in my '98!

I am a little concearned about the fact that there is no cover for the filter. It just sits in the engine bay exposed to the elements. Has anyone else who has the AFE kit had any problems with it yet?

Thanks,

David

No I dont have any problems with mine. I do however rotate the filter 180deg after 3K miles. Seems the car loves to get the air out of one spot. (i.e. after 3K miles I see dirt on only one side of the filter). I am not sure it gives much gains, had mine done with the bamachip tune and no dyno. I am waiting for JLT to have one coming out maybe in February Jay said. I noticed that Doug (bamachips) posted that if your CAI doesnt need a tune then it probably isnt giving you much gain; or words to that effect. That was his opinion... seems to make sense to me.
tommy

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake SYstem