V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

4.10 Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/05, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incase you're still looking to buy... I bought Motive 4.10s off Ebay from Brenspeed for $130 best price I could find at the time, havent compared it lately with others though. Just a suggestion. They have 3.73s for the same price.

7.5" rear end
Old 10/20/05, 10:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 18, 2005, 9:47 PM
This has brought to light another way Ford screwed the V6's over the GT.. The GT's have a better 3rd gear ratio.. not sure if many have noticed this, but a GT can if needed stay in 3rd gear longer which could make a huge difference at the last few seconds of a race, if being driven by a good driver... The GT's have a longer 3rd gear.. I'm not sure if this was done purposley, or just by happenstance, but the GT 3rd gear if used effectively could be dangerous..

V6 3rd gear=1.41

GT 3rd gear=1.32

Thats a difference of 432rpm.. Which means, if racing a GT, if he winds out 3rd gear longer somewhere around mid track, the likleyhood of beating him deminishes... So when racing a GT, pray that he short shifts 3rd gear..

As I ponder this situation, I believe this could be where alot of GT owners are getting slower 1/4 mile times.. If a GT shifts out of 3rd gear too soon, it has 2 effects..

1. It sacrifices alittle power at the top end which could be used

2. It forces 4th gear to climb a greater mountian in which to get the 4.6L motor back into its power band sweet spot..

I believe alot of slow times derrived from the GT's are directly related to their not using the 3rd gear to their advantage..

After carefully considering the rest of the gearing 1-4, it will not be a problem, because the V6 is geared to have a better 60ft time based on smaller gears, which take less torque to work through.. So by the time the GT is at a position to threaten us in 3rd gear, he must use third gear to try and close the gap we already have on him.. LOL!! By the time he negotiates through 4th gear, we're almost through the traps.. So no problem.. Not too worry!
Yes I've noticed this, but is really only true if the V6 and GT have an equivalent rear gear ratio. Which happens to be true with Scrming. So a GT with 4.10's will hold that 3rd gear for a few rpms more.
The V6 with it's 3.31's and a GT with it's 3.55 is pretty dang close ratio wise for each gear.
So as along a we remain one below the GT we keep advantage in 3rd. The GT does fine with 4.10's, but the way our tranny is geared we get the same effect with about 3.73's on ours.
Old 10/21/05, 12:13 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by ManEHawke@October 20, 2005, 8:15 PM
Yes I've noticed this, but is really only true if the V6 and GT have an equivalent rear gear ratio. Which happens to be true with Scrming. So a GT with 4.10's will hold that 3rd gear for a few rpms more.
The V6 with it's 3.31's and a GT with it's 3.55 is pretty dang close ratio wise for each gear.
So as along a we remain one below the GT we keep advantage in 3rd. The GT does fine with 4.10's, but the way our tranny is geared we get the same effect with about 3.73's on ours.

Nice Post ManEHawk! Yes I have the FRPP T-Lok, and 3.73 Ring and Pinon, installation kit and Oil, all sitting on the shelf, waiting to be installed.. I am happy with my decision.. It was actually real hard to opt for the 3.73's over the 4.10's.. You know your going to have a somewhat loose cannon with the 4.10's.. Something real torquey which is fun... Perhaps the 3.73's will be a nice surprise.. I would love to be able to try out both.. Wish Scrming lived closer so I can take his for a spin, and do a couple of WOT's around town.. LOL!!
Old 10/22/05, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Msp where did you get your t-lok, gears, install kit and oil at? I just recieved my SCT2 on Thursday from Alternative Auto (tuned by lidio) and was really impressed! :drive: Anyway Im now in the market for my gears/lok and some rims and tires
Old 10/22/05, 01:37 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Shaun81@October 22, 2005, 4:06 AM
Msp where did you get your t-lok, gears, install kit and oil at? I just recieved my SCT2 on Thursday from Alternative Auto (tuned by lidio) and was really impressed! :drive: Anyway Im now in the market for my gears/lok and some rims and tires
I bought my parts off of Ebay.. All the parts are brand new, in the original FRPP packaging...

I have 2 more pieces to acquire before installation..

The Panhard Relocation bracket, and the 7.5 Girdle.. I like to buy things slowley, to give time to discover the correct path to take.. LOL!!

The Install kit and oil were apart of my deal on the 3.73's, which is actually not standard.. I also have all replacement bearings and shims, that I doubt I will need, but got none the less.. Ebay thus far has the best pricing for the rear end parts for the 7.5, less the girdle and Panhard.