V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

3.73 gears and Tloc

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/05, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting in 3.73 gears and Tloc this Saturday. I have done several gears before, but never a Tloc. Anybody perform this that has any advise. I have all the measuring tools etc. Also heard that the new 7.5 rears do not have a gasket but just use a silicone bead. Also, how many shims have you needed?

Thanks
Old 11/30/05, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No clue, but I just got mine back and they had to take a shim out to get rid of the whine.
Old 12/1/05, 07:09 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Torkfastback@November 30, 2005, 6:30 PM
Putting in 3.73 gears and Tloc this Saturday. I have done several gears before, but never a Tloc. Anybody perform this that has any advise. I have all the measuring tools etc. Also heard that the new 7.5 rears do not have a gasket but just use a silicone bead. Also, how many shims have you needed?

Thanks
I respect that you are going to do this on your own.. If you can make a detailed picture database, along with a list of measuring tools that would be appreciated.. Us V6 guys really need someone like you with knowledge on how to do this... By making good pictures, and shwoing the use of all the tools, its possible the rear-end mods can be peformed at home... Saving us V6'ers no less than $300 bucks for install.. Needless to say, you will be contributing tremendously to our community! Good Luck!

Detailed pics show a step by step process with wording for understanding.. If your good, which I think you probably are, then you will make it look easy.. LOL!!

I really look forward to your Class!!
Old 12/1/05, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Torkfastback@November 30, 2005, 9:30 PM

Thanks

I can call my shop when they open and ask him how many shims he needed. I'll ask him aobut your other questions as well, I'm sure he knows the answer. Took him 5 hours to do a 3 hour job. LOL.
Old 12/1/05, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

MSP - dont you dare start telling people to do their own rear end work. Thats just too too dangerous -_-
Old 12/1/05, 09:33 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Zodiac@December 1, 2005, 8:27 AM
MSP - dont you dare start telling people to do their own rear end work. Thats just too too dangerous -_-

Well, he has already swapped the gears.. Its the same process... So he knows what he doing...

You cant swap the ring and pinion, unless you remove the differential...
Old 12/1/05, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 1, 2005, 9:12 AM
.....By making good pictures, and shwoing the use of all the tools, its possible the rear-end mods can be peformed at home... Saving us V6'ers no less than $300 bucks for install.. ...
Detailed pics show a step by step process with wording for understanding.. If your good, which I think you probably are, then you will make it look easy.. LOL!!

I really look forward to your Class!!
Preeminent strike. I know what you're thinking. A DIY on a gear swap is just a bad idea lol
Old 12/1/05, 10:56 AM
GT Member

As long as all the correct measurements are taken and he takes his time he should be ok , its not rocket science.I have never done it myself but have watched and helped out a couple of times. My buddy changed all the internals in his 03 gt and he had never touched a motor in his life. He just bought a couple of books and asked around a lot. The motor has been running for 2 years now at 550 +hp at 14 pounds of boost. The Sky is the limit as long as u have the requiered tools and info.
Old 12/1/05, 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. Gears are not really that big of an issue. You pull the tires, pull the axels out about 4 inches, remove the diff cover (drain of course) remove shaft and pinion, remove the 4 gear bolts, and it falls in your lap. Replace in reverse order except for the need to measure the gear alighnment. That is done with a combo of a caliper and gear marks. Put blue gear dye on the surfaces and rotate the gears (by hand). You can then look at the patterns to determine wear points. The caliper ensures perfect center alighnment. Torque to specs, replace cover and drive line, fill with 90 wgt and friction tube....drive easy and listen for whines. If it whines, you may need to pull or add a shim. I am using used Tloc and 373 gears bought on Ebay for 170. Install kit (shims, crush washer, lube) is about 35. So, gears, Tloc and install for just over 200. Not bad.

I just completed installing the Eibach Pro springs last week. Very easy job accomplished in my driveway. Used the cam adjusment bolts ($30) and had the alighnment done the next day. Sacramento Mustang is having a 50% off sale on the Eibach Pros. That is 125 delivered! The drop was perfect! 1.5 in back, 1.3 in front.

Also bought GT Cat back Takeoffs delivered from ebay for 139. OEM GT hangers from Southwest Ford for 80. Local shop cut out old, welded up takeoffs, and made an H pipe all for 120. Total Gt Dual exhaust...330.

Next mod will be Tunable Inductions CAI and SCT2 for 547.

Will let you know how the gears work out.

Cheers,